Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Card Scans On All Service Levels

Comments

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems like they were doing that before and then stopped recently, right? No they're doing it again, and that's great news to cut down on the scams.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also great news when eBay sellers have crappy scans!

• Options
    shawthershawther Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

Should help cut down on CRC reviews too. Submitter should be able to catch issues before they’re sent out,

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2023 7:03PM

the only negative thing I have to say about this is that for awhile now, they have been using photography vs real scans. a year or two ago, their scans were absolutely top notch, crystal clear and from what I read was like a $4000 scanner. now the scans sometimes look blurry, washed out, contain bad glare or are unevenly colored.

I spoke to Nat and showed him examples of before and current scans and he agreed they were definitely not as good as they once were and he would look into seeing what they could do about it. but the reality is with the volume they were looking to scan, photography was much quicker even if it sacrificed quality. I really wish they would go back to real scans though.

here is an example of their old secure scan (true scanner) vs a newer one (photography). at least the photography picks up the refractive qualities more true to life but the image is blurrier and washed out.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for providing examples. I have to agree!

• Options

I think they said the higher service levels will get higher quality scans. Maybe those will get the scans vs. pictures for the value orders?

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2023 11:16AM

In the past their scans gave me a better view then the seller. Most now look like a photo taken through a dirty windshield.

• Options
    edited January 24, 2023 12:52PM

Reading the blog post again, I don't see much difference in these "scans". Suppose the blog would have been better served to actually display what is being scanned, not a low res copy..

Up to the Express level service, high-resolution scan - low res from the post:

Super Express and higher, higher resolution, premium imaging - low res from the post:

Seem similar to me...

• Options
    edited January 24, 2023 5:42PM

this was one of the better newer scans (photos) they took of a card I own

https://www.psacard.com/cert/64201742

and here is one of my other cards that I bought (newer cert) that they scanned using the old scanner. the difference is obvious but shows they do still use the scanner it seems

https://www.psacard.com/cert/63555990

this was a pre-photography scan, from last year. their scanner REALLY picks up chrome cards well using the old method.

https://www.psacard.com/cert/48878735

honestly, I do all my own scans on my V600. I would rather them not show me scans of their photography OR give me the option in the registry app to replace the default photos with my own. if PSA scans the card, their scans show as default and you can't change that, even if yours are better. I requested the option thought the app feedback but no one ever responded.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dictoresno said:

honestly, I do all my own scans on my V600. I would rather them not show me scans of their photography OR give me the option in the registry app to replace the default photos with my own. if PSA scans the card, their scans show as default and you can't change that, even if yours are better. I requested the option thought the app feedback but no one ever responded.

I can completely understand the sentiment, but there is great value in having a repository of consistent images for people to compare, and to compare raw cards to as opposed to glamor shots that too many of us have been burned by on eBay.

• Options

@dictoresno said:

With the recent eBay scam, hard to imagine they'd let people upload their own pictures now if PSA scanned them originally.

• Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭

I like it .. It should be in a format that will post to Instagram though.

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options

@PatriotTrading said:

@dictoresno said:

With the recent eBay scam, hard to imagine they'd let people upload their own pictures now if PSA scanned them originally.

you can still scan and upload your own photos to the registry. they will not overwrite the scans that PSA took though, nor will it give the owner the option to make their photo the default in their own registry. my scans will just be uploaded along side PSA's.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 6, 2023 9:11PM

Here is an example illustrating how inadequate the current photography is. Here is a comparison of the PSA photo and a proper scan from eBay. These are the same card. The lighting in the PSA photo makes it look like the card has horrible PD.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    Here is an example illustrating how inadequate the current photography is. Here is a comparison of the PSA photo and a proper scan from eBay. These are the same card. The lighting in the PSA photo makes it look like the card has horrible PD.

Ouch, that is bad. Defeats the whole purpose of the program.