Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

PCGS "Details"

I'm a long-time coin collector, and I'm just getting into currency collecting.

I am looking at a bank note right now that has a PCGS Banknote "Details" grade. I know that "Details" is pretty deadly to the value of a coin unless it's very old or very rare. Is the same true for currency? The note is rare (2 in existence) and has a few pulls and scuffs. I like it, but I don't want an albatross.

I'd appreciate your opinions.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with Steve.
    Also, a details grade with two known begs the question "What is the problem with it?" and that fact should have more influence on your decision to buy than what the TPG says, really. As long as the problem doesn't make you wince when you see it, I'd buy it.
    "Details" is more of a problem when undamaged examples are available and the collector has a choice. Two known=no choice.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    jeffas1974jeffas1974 Posts: 310 ✭✭✭

Welcome to currency collecting! I still feel like I'm fairly new myself and have a lot to learn.

I agree with Steve on purchasing the note. A recent example of something similar that comes to mind is the Fr. 4 that was up for auction last week. It was a 12 grade with a notation on the back of "minor repairs", but there are just 8 known and it's hard to be choosy. Out of curiosity, would you mind disclosing what the note is?

• Options

Thanks, folks! I'm still kind of on the fence about buying the bank note, but I won't be worrying about the "Details" label now.

FYI, I inherited a national bank note for a bank in my hometown several years ago, and, well, naturally I had to acquire notes for all the banks in the area. I have the 1929 series notes for them, but I'm looking to add some 1902 and 1882 notes as well.

The "Details" label note that prompted my question is an 1882 series $10 banknote from the FNB of Pauls Valley, Oklahoma, FR-546. Bank notes in rural OK farm towns got a lot of use, and the surviving specimens sure look like it.

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

It sounds like you’re talking about this note.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

If this is the note, I'd consider it to be a nice example overall. The details comments really don't do it justice as the problem on back isn't huge, it's better on the back than face, and the note is otherwise a very nice example.

I just checked Track and Price and the other known example of this type grades VG10, so this is probably the nicer of the two survivors, at least in my opinion.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options

Yep, that's the note. The seller is asking a lot more than $666 for it, but we're negotiating.

I don't necessarily need a $10 note to represent this series - I just want a 'type' note - but they all seem so scarce that I feel like I ought to jump on any example that goes on sale. And I do like the look of this one.

• Options

@Steve_in_Tampa said:
    It sounds like you’re talking about this note.

That's a scary price ;p

• Options
    Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 422 ✭✭✭

Very tempting note with only 2. Those are pretty minor details IMO.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a note about collecting Nationals - this is important especially with smaller local issues - grade and descriptions are not as important factors in collecting them as just getting an example in the first place. There are a great number of National issues from smaller towns etc that have NO KNOWN examples of, and many more that have very small or even unique examples of.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

With only 2 known you may never ever get another chance. If it was what I collect I would buy it before losing the chance.

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options

Nice!

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Choppy said:
    Well, I did it. The seller and I agreed on a price, and it's on its way. :smile:

Very good news. Just one question. Was it a "Details" condition note with having something wrong with it? - or was the term "Details" used to describe the actual grade of "VF 25" overall condition?

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    DoctorPaperDoctorPaper Posts: 616 ✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2023 8:52AM

@Steven59 said:
    “Was it a details note having something wrong…”

In today’s market, this is supposed to be a note whose ‘details’ match the official criteria for the number grade printed on the front of the holder. However the note has defects listed on the back of the holder that make the note unacceptable to the TPG to receive an actual official grade. So to answer your question, a “Details” note always has something wrong with it, at least in thr opinion of the TPG.
    Nice Paul’s Valley note. I’ve always been interested in these because I’ve got a son named Paul. I’ve got one, but nothing so exotic as an ‘82 DB:

Wisconsin nationals: gotta love 'em....