Home Sports Talk
Options

Athletes that played into their 40s

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always been fascinated by guys that cross this threshold. Who are some athletes that dared to play into their 40s?

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Robert Parish. NBA. Played a record 1,611 games. Tied for the 2nd most seasons at 21. Third oldest to play at 43. Spent his final season with the Bulls, where he played alongside Jordan and won his 4th ring. Though he was obviously a shell of his former self, he was credited with bringing much veteran knowledge and leadership as well as doing the unthinkable...He legendarily stood up to Jordan in practice and was ready to fight him if Jordan didn't stop with his bullying BS. Known as 'The Chief" or just "Chief", named after a character in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest". Double zero is a Celtics legend, having won three rings in Boston.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2023 11:46AM

Andrew Whitworth. Oldest offensive lineman to play in a Super Bowl. Oldest tackle to play in a game. Both at age 40. He was the key to the Lambs offensive line....Sorely missed last season..... Too bad for the Bengals that they let him go. They would probably have won the Super Bowl last year if they had kept him. Hell of a solid player. And a solid citizen too. Lots of charity work....Good guy.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    Robert Parish. NBA. Played a record 1,611 games. Tied for the 2nd most seasons at 21. Third oldest to play at 43. Spent his final season with the Bulls, where he played alongside Jordan and won his 4th ring. Though he was obviously a shell of his former self, he was credited with bringing much veteran knowledge and leadership as well as doing the unthinkable...He legendarily stood up to Jordan in practice and was ready to fight him if Jordan didn't stop with his bullying BS. Known as 'The Chief" or just "Chief", named after a character in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest". Double zero is a Celtics legend, having won three rings in Boston.

Robert Parish stood up to Jordan, fascinating, I have never heard that story before. I did a little digging, and found out that apparently Robert Parish messed up a play in practice, and Jordan got up in his face. Here's what Robert Parish said about the incident:

"I told him, 'I'm not as enamored with you as these other guys. I've got some rings too.' At that point he told me, 'I'm going to kick your ass.' I took one step closer and said, 'No, you really aren't.' After that he didn't bother me," recalled Parish.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

Satchel Paige. Retired from the ML at age 59

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

A couple ex Indians who played well into their 40s .............

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

George Blanda, played until he was 48!

• Options

Tom Brady, he was 62 when he decided to retire!

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chris Chelios retired at 48!

• Options

@doubledragon said:

Amazing how that generation seemed to age much faster. Blanda looks 60 in that pic. They lived a much rougher life with less of the creature comforts that we have these days.

• Options
    firstbase23firstbase23 Posts: 448 ✭✭✭

Hank Aaron

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jimmy Connors
    Ken Rosewall

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@LandrysFedora said:

@doubledragon said:

Amazing how that generation seemed to age much faster. Blanda looks 60 in that pic. They lived a much rougher life with less of the creature comforts that we have these days.

No doubt about it, Ken Stabler was 38 when this photo was taken!

• Options

Kicker Morten Andersen played until he was 47.

• Options

Warren Moon played until he was 44.

• Options

Willie Mays retired at the age of 42.

• Options

Stan the man was 42 when retired.

• Options

Jaromir Jagr hung up his NHL skates at age 45. He still plays in his native Czechoslavakia at age 50.

• Options

Nolan Ryan played until the age of 46.

• Options

Gordie Howe played until the age of 52!

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2023 6:33PM

Joe and Phil Niekro

Hoyt Wilhelm

And who could forget... Bobo Newsom

edited to add "Dutch" Leonard

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

Kareem was 42 when he retired.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finally retired at "Upper 50s" ?

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

Drew Brees played until he was 42.

• Options

Still doing his thing at 73! He will be the record holder of oldest performer when he retires! Woooooooooooo!!

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

Carl Yastrzemski
    Willie Stargell

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Whay a great pic of Brett

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clemens, Maddux, Johnson and schilling all played well into their 40s

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

Does anyone know why Reggie Jackson only played one year with the Orioles?

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

But the one season of that career about which there isn't a lot of conversation, least when the conversation is about Reggie, is 1976. It is the year he spent with the Orioles, traded there by A's owner Charlie Finley, on his way to becoming a free agent later that year, then on his way to New York, where, as he so famously said once, he brought his star with him.

I asked him the other night what it was like in Baltimore, playing for Earl Weaver with everybody knowing he was probably just passing through, most likely on his way to the Yankees.

Reggie laughed.

"That's not the way it was," he said. "I wanted to stay. I liked the team. I liked the city. My mom was there. My dad was close by. I had other family close by. And I loved playing for Earl. When I got there, he told me, 'You know I like guys who can hit the ball over the fence, Reggie.' And I said to him, 'Earl, I can do that.'"

He held out -- for a $200,000 salary -- until May after Finley traded him and Ken Holtzman and Minor Leaguer Bill VanBommell for Don Baylor, Mike Torrez and Paul Mitchell. No one was sure what was coming with free agency. In collective bargaining, Reggie and maybe a dozen other players didn't know they were officially becoming free agents after the season was over until July.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Willie Mays retired at the age of 42.

Cool cover... B)

• Options

@Alfonz24 said:

• Options