Home Sports Talk
Options

30 year drought for the Stanley Cup in Canada

GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 18, 2023 10:04AM in Sports Talk

1993 Montreal Canadiens the last team to win

Reasons……

1- Bad Canadian tax structure

2- Super star and star Veterans and their wives would rather finish their careers in warm Tampa or Las Vegas then bitter cold Montreal or Winnipeg.

3- American perks

4- Poor drafting by Canadian teams

Any other reasons ?

Comments

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

5- Sometimes just bad luck. Puck Luck.
    Couple of the Vancouver teams were really close. 94 versus the Rangers and when they had the Sedin twins they made it to game 7s.

Also it's a numbers game as there any many more non Canadian teams than Canadian teams.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe Canadians aren't any good at hockey...... That's what it looks like to me...

They Know It Too.

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

OUCH, 30 years.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2023 7:01PM

Lucky Montreal had Patrick Roy in goal in 1993 otherwise Wayne Gretzky would have 5 Stanley Cup rings. Montreal also won back in 1986 with Roy in net.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

Canada may win one in the Connor McDavid years he is only 25 years old. He is truly an exciting player to watch. I try to tune in to as many Edmonton Oilers games I can. Toronto also has a great team but they just can't get it done. Maybe they will in the next few years to come who knows they have not won in forever.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Alfonz24 said:
    5- Sometimes just bad luck. Puck Luck.

Also it's a numbers game as there any many more non Canadian teams than Canadian teams.

I hear ya, but that numbers game didn’t apply from 1967-1993 at all.