Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A very tiny medal- 1877 Lord's Prayer Medal

NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 17, 2023 7:13PM in U.S. Coin Forum

This was one of my last buys of 2022! From what I read, it's one of the many miniature medals produced by George B. Soley who worked for the U.S. Mint. I believe he owned the first steam press and minted souvenirs at various expos and fairs. I never realized the edges were reeded!

Comments

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Real nice!

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2023 8:08AM

Congrats on a picking up a wonder and historic medal @coinJP!

George Bache Soley really made some wonderful pieces!

I really like the ones that say they were struck in the Main Building of the International Exhibition like yours.

These come dated 1876 and 1877. Here's my 1876 piece in silver.

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

I really like the ones that say they were struck in the Main Building of the International Exhibition.

These were also struck with an 1878 date. It’s much rarer than the 76 or 77!

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2023 3:10AM

And very nice @coinJP! Your example is relatively problem-free with sharp details. I like it!

If you don’t already know, many of Soley’s productions are actually smaller (13mm) in diameter than this International Exhibition medal, which is about 17 or 18mm.

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shish said:
    The Lord's Prayer engraved on a half dollar.

Very very cool. I've been extensively collecting coins engraved with The Lord's Prayer for about 20 years now. That is the very first one I've seen on a Half Dollar.

• Options
    edited January 18, 2023 8:00AM

@GoldenEgg said:

@Zoins said:

I really like the ones that say they were struck in the Main Building of the International Exhibition.

These were also struck with an 1878 date. It’s much rarer than the 76 or 77!

Awesome! I don't think I've seen one yet!

Given that the State Fair pieces were done in 1879 we have a dated run from 76 to 79!

I also have the following 1882 piece and now I'm wondering if there are any dated 80 and 81 pieces to link them?

Of note, I was just looking at this and it ends with "deliver us from the evil one" while the others say "deliver us from evil".

• Options
    edited January 18, 2023 8:01AM

@GoldenEgg said:
    And very nice @coinJP! Your example is relatively problem-free with sharp details. I like it!

If you don’t already know, many of Soley’s productions are actually smaller (13mm) in diameter than this International Exhibition medal, which is about 17 or 18mm.

The 13mm pieces are wonderful and are historic. They were done at this size because Soley had access to US Mint die stock for the gold dollar coins which were used for these.

I'm a big fan and collector of these. Here's one of my 13mm pieces in silver! I've never seen another, so I've been wondering if it's unique.

Here's a thread with more Soley pieces:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1021607/george-soley-medals

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic info and thanks for sharing your pieces. Definitely will be looking for more in the future.

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had quite a few on the tiny ones like Jesbroken's over the years, but I've not seen yours. That's pretty neat.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file