Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question for the Buffalo Nickel collectors out there

VetterVetter Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know these aren’t part of the 64 coin collection and are considered varieties, but those who collect them. What would you consider your preference on the other Buffalo Nickel must haves?
In no particular order and list in the order you would like to acquirer?
1916 DDO Obv.
1918/7 D
1935 DDO Rev
1936 D 3 1/2 Leg
1937 D 3 Leg
Feel free to add any other you might think are important.

Members I have done business with:
Silverman68, jfoot13, GAB, ricman, Smittys, scrapman1077, RyGuy, Connecticoin, Meltdown, VikingDude, Peaceman, Patches and more.

Comments

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2023 6:41PM

I went by the Dansco slots and I included the 37-D 3 Legged and 18/7-D. I’m pretty sure I would have included them anyway as I find them interesting. I also was tempted to add a 1916/16 as that has a great look (and I consider it a worthy coin of inclusion) but it was more than I wanted to spend for an example I’d enjoy owning. I have no real interest in any of the 3.5-leg varieties and the 35 DDO isn’t dramatic enough that I cared to own one.

I would rank them:
    37-D
    18/7-D
    16/16
    35 DDR
    2 feather (any)
    3.5 legs (any)

• Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

1918/7-d and 1937d 3 legs

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2023 4:09PM

1918/7-d and 1937d 3 legs

There are so many buffalo nickel varieties that if you start adding them to your basic 64 coin set it can tend to "clog up" the set if you try to get to many of them. For example, there are over 30! two feather varieties. Would you want to put all of them into your basic set right next to the "regular" emission of the coin? So after adding all the 2 n 1/2 feather buffs you are up to nearly 100 coins. Then add another half dozen or so 3 and one half leggers and you are over 100 coins! Then all the doubled dies like 1913 type one and type two, 1915, 1916, 1917 (obv) and (rev) and.... Ok I will stop right here. My advice if you want to see how many of the varieties you can collect keep the varieties by themself and put the regular 64 coin set in its
    own holder.

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found an older Dansco album for my Buffalo collection, that did not include any varieties.

I would think the 1937 3-leg would be required. The new album has the 18/7 D, not sure how much they are worth.

The 1916 DDO would be part of an advanced set in my opinion.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the 36 D 3 1/2 legger is very rare. For that reason, my pick.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 848 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2023 9:46PM

Good question, and one we each can answer for ourselves.

I have a "complete" set of buffalo nickels, by my reckoning. It includes the 1918/7-D, and the 1937-D three legs, but none of the other three you listed. To date, I have not felt a need to buy any of those three. I certainly am influenced in this feeling by whether or not Dansco/Whitman include the coin in the album.

YMMV

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file