Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

1923 $1 in Time Magazine Advert

Has anyone seen one of these before? I inherited this from my grandfather. Just from reading the text in the folder, it appears to have been an advertising gimmick that Time used in 1967 to try and convince car companies to spend their advertising budgets with them.

Im very familiar with the note, but I would love to know more about the ad campaign or what these were intended for, how common they are, etc....

Comments

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t know anything about the background of it, but it is indeed very cool!

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I think that your theory on these is probably correct but it looks more likely that these were targeted at local dealerships rather than the manufacturers. In 1967, these didn't carry much of a premium but were an oddity that had not been seen by many folks. A few were still being pulled from circulation as late as the 1950s.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s kinda nifty. I don’t have a price guide from that exact era, but 10 years prior you get buy circulated $1 SCs for just over face value. These are retail prices.

• humanssuckhumanssuck Posts: 314 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sellitstore said:
    Yes, I think that your theory on these is probably correct but it looks more likely that these were targeted at local dealerships rather than the manufacturers. In 1967, these didn't carry much of a premium but were an oddity that had not been seen by many folks. A few were still being pulled from circulation as late as the 1950s.

The reason I thought they may have been targeted at the manufacturers was that my grandfather worked in corporate. In 1967 he was the vice president for domestic automotive operations for Chrysler. Im curious what makes you think they would have been targeted to local dealerships? I would have thought national level add campaigns in a magazine like Time would have been done corporately, not by local dealerships.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting market research pitch. Now all you need is that first issue of Time. Think he tucked that away? Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

How many auto manufacturers were there in the U.S. at the time? Relatively few, perhaps a dozen or less. But there were probably a couple of thousand dealers. And the last line of the text refers to "for new car marketers", not manufacturers. I don't think that such a piece would have been made for the few manufacturers but for the much larger number of dealers. Perhaps the dealers were supposed to tell corporate that they wanted advertising done in Time.

Steve- I noticed that the $2 and $5 Educationals are the same price in "NEW"- $40. May I have one of each, please?

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.