Home Sports Talk

mike mcdaniel has set offensive coaching back

olb31olb31 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

to the beginning of football. i know e has lost a couple of guys but thompson looks unbelievably unprepared. i think it would be better to just snap the ball to hill and wilson and remove thompson all together.

Work hard and you will succeed!!

Comments

• olb31olb31 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

skylar thompson is not ready and probably doesn't have the ability to play in the nfl.it's not fair to him, the team nor the fans to put him in. single wing and go.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

olb no offense bro but what the hell are you talking about

not even the dolphins players mommas thought they had a snowball's chance in this game, yet here they are down 3 in the 4th with the ball

one qb sneak away. horrible coaching. cant get the plays in. only need 6 inches and he puts him in the gun.

the defense has kept them in the game mcdaniel is the oc and he's offense sucks. they barely can get the plays off. sometimes you need to limit the offense if you have inexperience.

his defense gave them a chance.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

With Tua out dealing with a concussion and Bridgewater active but having a dislocated pinky on his throwing hand its not like Miami had much choice in who was starting this game.
    It was either promote Mike Glennon, who has a career 6-25 record as a starter, from the practice squad or go with Thompson who is 1-1 as a starter.

Hats off to Miami for keeping the game so close with their 3rd string rookie QB starting.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:

not even the dolphins players mommas thought they had a snowball's chance in this game, yet here they are down 3 in the 4th with the ball

But should they have called a QB sneak on that 4th and 1, instead of bungling it all, getting the play in late, taking a delay of game penalty, etc...if so, then McDaniel should be fired per your theory. I say that somewhat tongue in cheek, because it wasn't 4th and inches...

@erikthredd said:
    With Tua out dealing with a concussion and Bridgewater active but having a dislocated pinky on his throwing hand its not like Miami had much choice in who was starting this game.
    It was either promote Mike Glennon, who has a career 6-25 record as a starter, from the practice squad or go with Thompson who is 1-1 as a starter.

Hats off to Miami for keeping the game so close with their 3rd string rookie QB starting.

defense played great. offense pathetic. can't get plays in.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:

He has no idea what he's talking about most of the time.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

@olb31 said:

@erikthredd said:

defense played great. offense pathetic. can't get plays in.

True but their choice was either to go with a guy who has been really bad as a starter in his career or go with the untested kid. There wasn't some obvious choice and they were likely to lose no matter what.
    Coming from a Pats fan, at least you got to see your team in a playoff game.

Had NE been in this same situation with having to choose a starter between longtime backup Brian Hoyer or 3rd string rookie Bailey Zappe,who has played in 4 career games w/2 starts, I would have gone with Zappe.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2023 3:21PM

@thisistheshow said:

But should they have called a QB sneak on that 4th and 1, instead of bungling it all, getting the play in late, taking a delay of game penalty, etc...if so, then McDaniel should be fired per your theory. I say that somewhat tongue in cheek, because it wasn't 4th and inches...

it's straight up unforgivable. for the umpteenth time, it's an impossible play to stop. we bear witness to it all the time. hell the Vikings just did it and scored a touchdown.

if McDaniel was worth his salt as a coach, he would have called a sneak and the Dolphins would have had a fresh set of downs at midfield with a chance at one of the biggest upsets you'll ever see. instead, he jacked around. that caused the offense to jack around and ultimately some laundry hit the turf. he is paid millions of dollars to put his team in the best possible position to win a game, and the best possible position to win that game was calling a QB sneak. it should have been an insta-decision. the Bills would have been on the ropes if he had done so.

maybe one of these days, years, decades or lifetimes these head coaches will finally wise up. but until then, it's just unbelievable how often there are brain malfunctions that cost teams dearly when there is a >95% effective play call just waiting to be utilized.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2023 4:20PM

I thought the worst coaching move (moves?) in the game were simultaneous.....when the Dolphins had the ball, 4th and six, with 8:36 on the clock, down by three on their own 45(?) yard line and they went for it. WHY? Plenty of time left. Dolphins QB throws deep for incomplete pass......BUT!...The Bills called A timeout before the snap! So the Dolphins got a free punt! that they should have done in the first place. Dumb moves by both coaches!!!...Both coaches choked at the same time on the same play! The season was on the line for both teams. I was laughing my as* off!......Somebody was going to win after that snafu by both coaches ON THE SAME PLAYY! Has to be a first! I'm pulling for the Bills......but they lucked out to win the game.....I think the Bills are cursed.....

SNAFU is a military term.....Situation Normal. All F'ed Up....Oh ,Yea!😵

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2023 5:46PM

On the 4th and 1..........they had forever to do the QB sneak. When the clock went to 25 I thought they were just taking their time...when it went to 20 and I was watching the coach looking at his play card I knew disaster was about to happen. Everyone thinks they're a rocket scientist. Everyone thinks they can outsmart everyone. Just get behind the hogs and run the ball and have your fullback push you to the 1st down. As the clock kept winding down and down and down until no time remained. Like I said, run the ball behind the hogs and have everyone on the team push you across the 1st down marker. So yes, the Dolphins coach is not good. He has been outcoached many times this season. The Chargers game about 7 weeks ago was a complete joke also. The Dolphins could have had 77 delay of game penalties...LOL.

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭

Giants coach knows what to do. No rocket science needed. QB sneak 1st Down. QB sneak 1st Down. 2 consecutive sets of downs.

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭✭

Jags showed that a sneak doesn't have to be a foregone conclusion. The Etienne end around won the game for the Jags on 4th and 1. That said, if the QB doesn't do something stupid (like fumble), right now the QB sneak when you have a foot or so to go is unstoppable. I expect defensive coordinators (or the NFL) will come up with a way to make it less reliable next season.

Robb