Home Sports Talk
Options

Ref problems

olb31olb31 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting, in the last couple of days, to hear about poor officiating and both times the LA teams were supposedly affected.

1) I agree the refs suck. Too inconsistent. One game you can mug someone, next game you can't look at them.
2) I find it funny that the two games questioned are about LA teams. Two of the teams I most dislike are the rams and lakers (lakers #1).
3) I think the refs should be dissected just like the coaches and players for every game. They should receive a grade and it should be made public.
4) ACC refs make $3,500 per game, PER GAME. You would think you would get the best refs in history. NOT!! They call differently every game.
5) NBA refs make around $250,000 - $300,000 per year. Some as high as $550,000. They work about 2 1/2 hours a day. And they have no idea what a walk is, what a flop is, what a charge is.
6) Either call it by the rules or change the rules. The refs should not be allowed to make up their own rules or no pay.

Work hard and you will succeed!!

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

The refs, for the most part (sure some rogue action is gotten away with before being mitigated) are just mouth pieces of the league and the owners. I truly do not think that incompetence is at the root of the majority of the egregious and missed calls.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alot of these calls are subjective, there are penalties in each play. The key is consistency in the calls, but refs are never gonna be perfect. Rarely is a game outcome the fault of the ref, good teams rise above any subjective refereeing, bad teams, don't, and blame, the refs.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

The real problem is the timing of the calls and the fact that some players and teams are given much more leeway than others. Also, it always bothers me when I see the way the coaches and players "bully" the officials on the field, very unprofessional and over the top for my liking.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2023 9:45AM

@spacehayduke said:
    Alot of these calls are subjective, there are penalties in each play. The key is consistency in the calls, but refs are never gonna be perfect. Rarely is a game outcome the fault of the ref, good teams rise above any subjective refereeing, bad teams, don't, and blame, the refs.

Spacey, I agree in general with your assessment however it doesn't hold up when two basically evenly matched good teams go head to head.....Case in point: A few years back, the Rams and Cowboys faced off in a playoff game. Many people asked me which team I thought would win the game....My answer was the same every time; "The teams are evenly matched. If the game is close the Cowboys will win because they will get special treatment from the refs. Most obvious in the 4th quarter...late.
    The Rams only hope is if it's a blowout. The Rams have to dominate the Cowboys." The Rams did dominate and they won.
    The upcoming Bucs/Cowboys playoff game will be very interesting. I don't know who to pick. The Cowboys are the better team but Brady gets special treatment just like the Cowboys. The refs must be dazed and confused about this one. If the refs stay neutral the Cowboys should win. We shall see.

• Options

@Hydrant said:

@spacehayduke said:

Spacey, I agree in general with your assessment however it doesn't hold up when two basically evenly matched good teams go head to head.....Case in point: A few years back, the Rams and Cowboys faced off in a playoff game. Many people asked me which team I thought would win the game....My answer was the same every time; "The teams are evenly matched. If the game is close the Cowboys will win because they will get special treatment from the refs. Most obvious in the 4th quarter...late.
    The Rams only hope is if it's a blowout. The Rams have to dominate the Cowboys." The Rams did dominate and they won.
    The upcoming Bucs/Cowboys playoff game will be very interesting. I don't know who to pick. The Cowboys are the better team but Brady gets special treatment just like the Cowboys. The refs must be dazed and confused about this one. If the refs stay neutral the Cowboys should win. We shall see.

Hydrant, I agree in general with your assessment however it doesn't hold up...

Again, you intentionally or unintentionally paint yourself as a limited hangout.

You say that the refs will be "dazed and confused" , not knowing who to favor in the Bucs Cowboys matchup, as though you believe (and want us to believe) that the refs are calling the shots. I know you know that marching orders come from somewhere else...spill it, big guy...💪💪🏈❤️

• Options
    edited January 15, 2023 12:37PM

Thanks, Showboat! You've increased my vocabulary. "Limited Hangout" aka "Partial Hangout.". Meaning; Spy jargon for a frequently used gimmick of the clandestine professionals. As my mother would say, "You're one smart cookie."
    Now, if you have the intestinal fortitude, post the Go- Gos "Our Lips Are Sealed."....... Quite fitting..... AND......My favorite Girl Band!...2:45 on youtube......Do it for me......PLEASE?....PRETTY PLEASE?....WITH A CHERRY ON TOP!

P.S. The prettiest girls are the smartest girls......Brains and beauty? ....DUH...

• Options

@Hydrant said:
    Thanks, Showboat! You've increased my vocabulary. "Limited Hangout" aka "Partial Hangout.". Meaning; Spy jargon for a frequently used gimmick of the clandestine professionals. As my mother would say, "You're one smart cookie."
    Now, if you have the intestinal fortitude, post the Go- Gos "Our Lips Are Sealed."....... Quite fitting..... AND......My favorite Girl Band!...2:45 on youtube......Do it for me......PLEASE?....PRETTY PLEASE?....WITH A CHERRY ON TOP!

I'll do it for you, but only because you once considered me to be undercover CIA (a backhanded compliment at worst). https://youtu.be/r3kQlzOi27M

• Options

PS @hydrant ...my advice to you and anyone reading... start looking at the world as though limited hangouts are everywhere (and remember that most are simply acting that way because they are intentionally and systemically compartmentalized (with a much smaller margin truly being in the know)...I've said enough, hope that helps!!

• Options
    edited January 15, 2023 2:14PM

@thisistheshow said:
    PS @hydrant ...my advice to you and anyone reading... start looking at the world as though limited hangouts are everywhere (and remember that most are simply acting that way because they are intentionally and systemically compartmentalized (with a much smaller margin truly being in the know)...I've said enough, hope that helps!!

Except For This!
    The hills behind the house

The road out

Great Weekend for Football on TV!
    It's Raining.....
    We're Stuck at Home...

!

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vegas Baby. All about Vegas.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.