Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Favorite ALL TIME coin in your collection

Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok boys and girls - let’s separate the men from the boys - let’s see your prized beauty….
POST THE COIN YOU WOULD KEEP IF YOU COULD ONLY KEEP ONE COIN FROM YOUR COLLECTION!

Comments

• Options

@Catbert - wow that is a tough choice!
    I knew the post might generate some cool coins and you didn’t disappoint —

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread is too hard. I can probably narrow it down to three right now. I am enjoying the thread but will have to keep thinking. Lol

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vulcanize said:
    Mine would be the bronco.

:)

I’ve tried to fall in love with this coin. The obverse is great but this new Eagle design is just not my style at all.

• Options

@spacehayduke said:
    Current collection, not sold away, probably this:

And the one you still think about?

• Options

@1northcoin said:
    Wow, what a challenge. Just like asking us to name our favorite child. :)

At the risk of boring those who have seen it before, this one has become a favorite due to its uniqueness and provenance. As far as I know there has only been one other photographed 1850 Double Eagle that has been held out as a proof, and that one appears to have been minted as a special piece for a set in the fall of 1850 while mine can lay claim to having been one of, if not the first, 1850 $20 gold piece minted in the spring of 1850 - given its having been in the private collection of its designer, James B. Longacre.

(FWIW despite having been identified as a proof by others, I am more than satisfied with Max Mehl's auction description of the coin when he described it as "a brilliant semi-proof, almost equal to a brilliant proof.")

>

I personally like seeing this coin over and over in many posts. If you want you sell let me know :-)

• Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1northcoin said:
    Wow, what a challenge. Just like asking us to name our favorite child. :)

At the risk of boring those who have seen it before, this one has become a favorite due to its uniqueness and provenance.

Not tiresome at all- I always enjoy the unique and mysterious!

• Options

@1northcoin - wow… just WOW
    Incredible coin and story - this thread has been better than I expected - again - just wow!!!!

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

The next one.

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny010 said:

I’ve tried to fall in love with this coin. The obverse is great but this new Eagle design is just not my style at all.

True.
    I agree, but the bronco really makes up for it though. ;)
    Have stopped buying ASE after the intro "type 2" purchased in 2021

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny010 said:

@spacehayduke said:
    Current collection, not sold away, probably this:

And the one you still think about?

There are probably a dozen pre-civil war gold that I can never duplicate that are gone baby gone.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file