Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

8 reales Mexico by Morelos

Hi, boys (young and old). Thank you for attentive. Here is the coin 8 reales 1816 with counterstamp Mo by general Morelos, it is time of War for indepention. Look not bad but some bad thing that Morelos was killed by Spanish in 1815, and i don't know another coins with "Mo" in 1816. But i don't know mexican coins good. Please help. I will show pictures with using hosting, hope that you see it, if not, you know description. Maybe the coin is fake? Sorry for bad English.
[url=https://postimg.cc/wtxzxBBC][img]https://i.postimg.cc/wtxzxBBC/IMG-20230113-223342.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://postimg.cc/3yLTkH4d][img]https://i.postimg.cc/3yLTkH4d/IMG-20230113-223404.jpg[/img][/url]

Peace.

Comments

• Options
    Sergey74Sergey74 Posts: 160 ✭✭✭

Peace.

• Options

Sorry, don't so clever men know it? In Krause catalogue there is not the coin with "Mo" in 1816. Question: real or fake. The coin should be real but countermark is not, i don't know. Sorry again for bad english.

Peace.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, the host coin (1816 Durango) even with what looks to be shaved edge appears to be real. The counterstamp looks to be an example of deep striated fake stamps we've seen in the last decade.

• Options

Thank you, i think the same.

Peace.

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Morelos was dead by 1816 and his movement very much extinguished.

• Options

Hi. Maybe for you it's interesting to see another lots of the seller with the topic coin. Do you think all coins are fake?
    Sorry again and again for my English.

Peace.

• Options

Ps. I mean that stamps are fake, coins are real, i think.

Peace.

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Am I sceptical of the counterstamp? Yes I am.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would anyone put a poorly faked stamp on a genuine coin?

• Options

Abuelo, thank you, no questions else.

Peace.

• Options
    RexfordRexford Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:
    Why would anyone put a poorly faked stamp on a genuine coin?

To try and pass it off as an expensive counterstamped type. It’s actually fairly common to see.

• Options
    edited January 22, 2023 11:58AM

Certainly. The coin with "Mo" by Morelos is rare coin and it can be with bad condition but good price. Usual those coin in bad condition don't have interest to be buy.

Peace.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2023 12:44PM

They all look fake (stamps). Do not buy these coins. There is no such thing as good prices on rare coins that is also a huge big red flag. Like the saying goes to good to be true.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options

Here are a few of these deep counterstamps with striations I've handled a couple of years ago:

• Options

Sorry, i don't see this imagines. Can you past it another way?

Peace.

• Options
  • Options

Thank you! It's dangerous to buy this types. I'll show this photos to the seller, he said that he have bought the things by european dealer.

Peace.

• Options

I don't know why this scammers who do the fake stamps didn't do smooth stamps like real.

Peace.

• Options

I've said it before and I'll say it again - with the continuing development of 3d printing tech and filaments used (like polycarbonate), it's only a matter of time until someone applies it to manufacturing punches. Even if the punch can only be used once before it's destroyed. I would be very weary of any counterstamp / chopmark collecting in the coming years.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:
    I've said it before and I'll say it again - with the continuing development of 3d printing tech and filaments used (like polycarbonate), it's only a matter of time until someone applies it to manufacturing punches. Even if the punch can only be used once before it's destroyed. I would be very weary of any counterstamp / chopmark collecting in the coming years.

Which is why pedigree matters more than ever.

• Options

Oh, men. Then we will collect colour peaces of glass or something like this. I collect many chinese silver dragon and republican dollars and hope that big experience help me to know fake or real coin i hold in my arms but sometimes i have doubts. Scammers do more and more real fake coins.

Peace.