Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS Cross-over services

I am going to be sending in a few coins graded by NGC for Crossover.

The ones Im most worried about are Small Cent patterns and both are photorealed by Rick Snow.
When it comes to cross-overs, I have to submit a minimum grade. Does anyone know if I can include the CAMEO designation in the minimum cross-over grade? I don't want these swapped to PCGS if I could potentially keep the same grade, but lose the CAM designation. Thanks!

Other coins I will be sending in this batch are these. All are Photosealed by Rick, which should help me get them crossed over. All look great for the assigned grades.

Comments

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe you’re forced to choose cameo or not, or else PCGS will contact you to ask about if you require it.

Write it in the box and you’ll be fine

• Options
    lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2023 4:10PM

Very nice coins! The 1859 would be tied for top pop if you managed to cross it. It would be worth a lot more than you paid (assuming you were the one that got it in the Nov '21 Stacks auction). I have an S-2 in 65 (also tied for top pop). Good luck

• Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭✭✭

@redraider said:
    I am going to be sending in a few coins graded by NGC for Crossover.

The ones Im most worried about are Small Cent patterns and both are photorealed by Rick Snow.
    When it comes to cross-overs, I have to submit a minimum grade. Does anyone know if I can include the CAMEO designation in the minimum cross-over grade?

Yes - you are going to lose the the Rick Snow photograde, as you would if they were CAC. I would take good scans and ask Rick if he will photogrode it again, IMO it has some value. I lost one of his that was also CAC. I got the CAC back but never bothered to send it back to rick. I still have the card so IMo that is good enough.

Some crossovers are really frickin expensive, I have an 1868 NGC CAC MS62 $20 lib in right now and the grading fees are over $500. If you have an expensive coin I would think twice. Mine is like a 20 year old NGC CAC so I have a shot at a plus which would make it a POP 1/1 on a really rare coin - so I took the shot.

• Options
    redraiderredraider Posts: 128 ✭✭✭✭

I was the one who snagged the 1859 at the Stacks Auction!

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2023 11:24PM

Hey, IF CAC Grading will be grading Patterns, I suggest you consider possibly sending them in to CACG once they open for business, clearly indicating to cross at the same grade or better, including the suffixes. While there’s no guarantee they’ll cross, my understanding is that JA and his crew may have more respect for Rick Snow’s Eagle Eye Photo Seal than possibly some PCGS graders. Keep your paper trail and good quality photos of each coin. With that said:

1. The coin must speak for itself. While I’ve found that most coins with Photo Seals will merit a CAC, that’s not always the case (and vice versa).
    2. For the coins that do cross at the same grade or at the same grade with a plus, Rick should then reapply his Photo Seals (and also give you new Photo Seal plasticized cards with the new slab photo on the front as well as placing the new slab photo on his publicly viewable website that is also downloadable). Rick ignores plus grades, like the CAC stickering service, but the new CAC Grading service will be using and recognizing plus grades. This way your coin has the recognition of being solid for the grade by CAC, AND will have a Photo Seal!
    3. If your coin(s) upgrade to the next whole grade, that’s good, as you’ll have that CAC endorsement, but you MIGHT not get the Photo Seal back if Rick feels it’s not solid for that new higher grade.
    4. PCGS charges us a 1% fee of the full guide value at the grade it crosses at, on top of the grading fee. CACG will NOT be charging any additional value fee for coins that cross, but only the grading fee!
    5. Coins in CACG holders in all likelihood will not be eligible for the PCGS registry, but they will be eligible for the NGC Registry and both of the new CACG registries (PCGS and NGC graded coins without CAC stickers will be eligible for ONE of the new CACG Registries - coins in those two TPG holders WITH CAC stickers will be eligible for BOTH new CACG Registries). Because the PCGS Registry is important to me, I won’t be crossing my coins to CACG.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    redraiderredraider Posts: 128 ✭✭✭✭

These coins are in the QA step of the grading. Anyone care to guess which ones made the cut? I will post the results as soon as I get the grades!

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my opinion, I think all five should cross!

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file