Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Questions about APR/SALES RECORDS and which is a better metric, as well as opinions on a few cards

Just getting back into collecting and started with a few rips from the cheaper sets and years. Firstly, what are the odds of cards from around 84, ,86, 87 (Topps football) and 91, 92 Topps and Upper Deck coming out psa 9-10 raw, pack to protector?

My other question is about what everyone uses to approximate current price/hype on cards to judge whether slabbing a card is profitable.

For instance, APR shows attached 1984 Charles Alexander recently auctioned PSA 10 for just under 6k but for normal sales I can't find one selling anywhere. Thoughts? Also attached are a few potentials I just pulled raw. (Cases may be scratched but the cards are all raw.)

Comments

• Options

• Options

• Options

The Jordans above aren't double posted, separate cards.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say it varies from set to set, but based on @jordangretzkyfan 's extensive experience probably between 1 and 5%.

• Options

And how much can be eliminated by amateur inspection, or are the variables beyond the obvious (corners, centering, off coloration) really down to the grader

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

I would not grade any of those commons. They are 6's/7's. Grade the key hof rc's from those sets.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SailHatan said:
    And how much can be eliminated by amateur inspection, or are the variables beyond the obvious (corners, centering, off coloration) really down to the grader

Again. Take a look at Chris' thread. It should answer most of these questions.

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭

I agree, do not grade those commons from those years.

If you post a picture on here you are going to get a lot of good opinions based on their eye if a card would be worth grading.

I would only grade those Jordan cards if they were perfect and you could get a grading special on them. Those Hoops Jordan's have too much edge wear to grade.

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭

Those Upper Deck Jordan Holograms have consistently been selling in the $35-$40 range in PSA 9. You would need to get a ten to make them worthwhile. The last PSA 10 sold for $510.

The ones you have look pretty nice. Someone would have to look at those in person. Could be worth a shot.