Home Sports Talk
Options

The kid

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always loved watching this guy play, you don't hear enough about him around here. I remember growing up, the kid got me interested in baseball.

Comments

• Options

Just a phenomenal talent.

• Options

And he had a beautiful swing.

• Options

I can't count how many packs of 89' Upper Deck I opened looking for this card.

• Options

He was the Michael Jordan of baseball in his day. Here's to you Mr. Griffey Jr., hip hip hooray, hip hip hooray!

• Options

I hope you all enjoyed this short, yet entertaining, thread.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

He was a pretty great player.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

Glad you found it. You made that one or bought it? (Wait, is 'made' used in cards as it is in coins?)

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

Glad you found it. You made that one or bought it? (Wait, is 'made' used in cards as it is in coins?)

I don't own that copy, it's merely a photo for reference. He was indeed a great player, great enough to have his own video game on Super Nintendo! (Not my video game by the way, merely a photo for reference.)

• Options

Out of curiosity, what's it say on his chain? I can't make it out on my phone.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

I'm sorry for the late reply, it's been a hectic day, our microwave is malfunctioning and I've been trying to find a good microwave oven on ebay to purchase! Anyway, about the chain, I can't quite make it out but it appears to be the letters BMW and the number 43, perhaps he owned a BMW car and was proud about it, but I'm not 100% positive, here is a clearer image of the card. Now if you'll excuse me, I must find this microwave soon or my wife will have a fit, she gets mean when she doesn't have her Orville Redenbacher!

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

LoveyDragon i believe

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

@Alfonz24 said:

@thisistheshow said:

LoveyDragon i believe

I'm Lovey Dovey all the time, but that's none of my business.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

I'm sorry for the late reply, it's been a hectic day, our microwave is malfunctioning and I've been trying to find a good microwave oven on ebay to purchase! Anyway, about the chain, I can't quite make it out but it appears to be the letters BMW and the number 43, perhaps he owned a BMW car and was proud about it, but I'm not 100% positive, here is a clearer image of the card. Now if you'll excuse me, I must find this microwave soon or my wife will have a fit, she gets mean when she doesn't have her Orville Redenbacher!

I'm on my laptop. Image is clearer. Does that say " BMW M2"? As in the car?

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

I'm on my laptop. Image is clearer. Does that say " BMW M2"? As in the car?

Quite possible, is that a model of BMW that existed back then? He must have owned one. Personally I prefer a little red Corvette, I always wanted to own one, but they were a bit too pricey!

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

A great player and iconic card. I have a few of them. It was a must have in the early 90’s.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭✭

Griffey was a fantastic player. I think in modern times he does not get his just deserves because of the emphasis put on batters walking. I would personally rather have Griffey in my outfield than the CF that plays for the Angels, but he walks more, so the analytics guys fawn over him.

just my 2 cents

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

Please, someone confirm my chain/necklace question from the card...

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

You've become obsessed with his necklace, and that can be a very dangerous thing. I too was once obsessed, except my obsession had nothing to do with jewelry, no, but a pastry, a pastry so delicious that I would do anything to get my hands on one, including lie, cheat, and steal. Sadly they don't make them anymore, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles pies from the early 90s, a delicious pastry with a Vanilla pudding type filling, and if you'll notice, the outside is a sweet frosting that is Green, like the shell of a Turtle. All it took was one taste and I was hooked. There's a Facebook page dedicated to the cause of bringing them back, but sadly the effort has been fruitless thus far.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

You've become obsessed with his necklace, and that can be a very dangerous thing. I too was once obsessed, except my obsession had nothing to do with jewelry, no, but a pastry, a pastry so delicious that I would do anything to get my hands on one, including lie, cheat, and steal. Sadly they don't make them anymore, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles pies from the early 90s, a delicious pastry with a Vanilla pudding type filling, and if you'll notice, the outside is a sweet frosting that is Green, like the shell of a Turtle. All it took was one taste and I was hooked. There's a Facebook page dedicated to the cause of bringing them back, but sadly the effort has been fruitless thus far.

I'm not obsessed. My "please" was not written out of desperation, but out of respect for the time that I am asking my forum friends to spend possibly researching this for me and writing a reply.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

I'm not obsessed. My "please" was not written out of desperation, but out of respect for the time that I am asking my forum friends to spend possibly researching this for me and writing a reply.