Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1976 Topps Randy White rookie

Why is this card so undervalued?

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

Comments

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good question. Lots of football cards are undervalued in my opinion. You can pick up a 1973 or 1974 unitas psa 9 for $200. Ant baseball superstar of that magnitude would sale for over $1,000 and close to $2,000. And the pops on the baseball are higher.

So if we go back about 4 years. Baseball, Football and Basketball (Hockey was close) in that order of relevance value wise. Now it's baseball, basketball, football, soccer and hockey are close. For some reason people love watching and attending football games better than all the above, but don't like collecting/investing in football.

Randy, played for "americas team", was an awesome player and an overall good dude. I would love to his rookie in a psa 9. i have a couple ready to grade, but they are more likely 7's and 8's.

Dan Marino 1984 topps psa 10's sales for just a little more than 1984 donruss Don Mattingly cards. Marino is probably one of the top 5 or 6 qb's of all-time, rewrote the record books. Mattingly played a few years and then fizzled out. Marino should sale for 10 times what mattingly sales for.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree. I dabble in some FB, and am always amazed at their value. I love all the sets from 73-78 and will pick up some here and there.

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a PSA 8. I was looking on eBay and vintage card prices. The 8 grade can be picked up for $100 or less. I know he didn't play the most glamorous position. He did play a very important position d tackle.

• Options
    Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

@stwainfan said:
    I have a PSA 8. I was looking on eBay and vintage card prices. The 8 grade can be picked up for $100 or less. I know he didn't play the most glamorous position. He did play a very important position d tackle.

I have a 9 I picked up a few years ago for a song. It was one of those where I already had an 8, but it was so cheap I just had to upgrade.

• Options

@Copyboy1 said:

@stwainfan said:

I have a 9 I picked up a few years ago for a song. It was one of those where I already had an 8, but it was so cheap I just had to upgrade.

I may look to upgrade at sometime.

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

@olb31 said:

Dan Marino 1984 topps psa 10's sales for just a little more than 1984 donruss Don Mattingly cards. Marino is probably one of the top 5 or 6 qb's of all-time, rewrote the record books. Mattingly played a few years and then fizzled out. Marino should sale for 10 times what mattingly sales for.

It's all about supply and demand. Nothing against Marino, but you could argue that Mattingly is more popular than Marino. A lot of us grew up with baseball cards in the mid 80's and Mattingly is the first huge superstar we knew. For my personal collection, my childhoold nostalgia would desire a PSA 10 Mattingly or Gooden before Marino.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2023 1:35PM

Currently at our host awaiting its fate. What do you think? The shadow in the upper right is the guy's finger shadow taking the scan I think.

• Options

@lusterlover said:
    Currently at our host awaiting its fate. What do you think? The shadow in the upper right is the guy's finger shadow taking the scan I think.

Looks good if that's not a mark or stain.

• Options
    lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2023 5:42PM
  • Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭✭

That thing is a beaut! Even if it is only an 8. Great looking front and back.

The '76 set is one of my favorite FB sets of all time.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2023 9:37PM

I know the OP’s question was asked in January, but I’ll weigh in. Defensive players (just like o-linemen) have never been highly valued in the hobby. As somebody who collects HOFers who happen not to be QBs (or RBs or WRs) I’m actually pretty happy about it, since it keeps my spending down.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    CardGeekCardGeek Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2023 4:05AM

Football is an American sport. It's pretty far down the popularity list if you zoom out and look at the rest of the world. In the rest of the world Football is Soccer. If you think about it, it's pretty silly that the USA calls this sport Football. Your feet only rarely come in contact with the ball in US Football. Australian Rules Football is huge in Australia. I don't think most Americans can name a single Australian Rules Football player. It's probably pretty similar for US Football outside the US.

I believe Soccer is the most popular sport in the world followed by Cricket. I don't think US Football is in the top 10. Most americans probably can't name a professional Cricket player either.

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2023 5:47AM

@lusterlover said:
    Following up from my post above. Back from our host and very disappointed. Thought this was at least a 9.

the PSA10 shown a few posts about yours is no more than an PSA8 today. Based on the pictures your PSA8 presents like a solid 9.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭

@olb31 said:
    Good question. Lots of football cards are undervalued in my opinion. You can pick up a 1973 or 1974 unitas psa 9 for $200. Ant baseball superstar of that magnitude would sale for over $1,000 and close to $2,000. And the pops on the baseball are higher.

So if we go back about 4 years. Baseball, Football and Basketball (Hockey was close) in that order of relevance value wise. Now it's baseball, basketball, football, soccer and hockey are close. For some reason people love watching and attending football games better than all the above, but don't like collecting/investing in football.

Randy, played for "americas team", was an awesome player and an overall good dude. I would love to his rookie in a psa 9. i have a couple ready to grade, but they are more likely 7's and 8's.

I've always felt football cards were a little undervalued as well in relation to its popularity. I don't know why football fans aren't as big on cards. It may be that its popularity is largely populated by the gambling aspect of its followers. They like to gamble more than collect.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outside of the QB's or a top flight RB/WR/TE, most of the players on the field are just images. Most people have no idea an OLB or Rush ENd or OG really do and tehy don't watch them. Those players are just taking up space. In baseball and basketball, the players are more out in the open and an average person can see what they are doing (how they hit, how they shoot a basketball) and their faces are visible.

Just some thoughts. Not sure they mean much though.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options

@olb31 said:
    Outside of the QB's or a top flight RB/WR/TE, most of the players on the field are just images. Most people have no idea an OLB or Rush ENd or OG really do and tehy don't watch them. Those players are just taking up space. In baseball and basketball, the players are more out in the open and an average person can see what they are doing (how they hit, how they shoot a basketball) and their faces are visible.

That is part of it too. They are basically viewed as a helmet and a uniform.

• Options
    edited June 22, 2023 7:07AM

@olb31
    The last PSA 8 Staubach RC went for $1,800 in auction. That is down from its Covid peak where it hovered around $2,800-$3,000.

There are 418 PSA 8's in the pop report. Only 50 9's.

A comparable baseball player/card from similar era....

A 1973 Topps Mike Schmidt PSA 8 has been selling for right around $1,000 via auction(also down a few hundred from Covid highs).

1973 Schmidt PSA 8 has 1,558 graded and 250 9's.

There are nearly 4X as many Schmidt's in comparable high grades. Are their respective prices justified in comparison? Too early in the morning for me to try and figure it out, lol.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@olb31 said:

YEA BUT THIS IS AMERICAS DEFENSE !!!!

• Options

no way a 9, upper left corner is clearly an 8. still a great card but today, 10 years ago , 20 years ago that is an 8

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

@beachbumcollecting said:
    no way a 9, upper left corner is clearly an 8. still a great card but today, 10 years ago , 20 years ago that is an 8

Yeah, upper left is a little soft, and i think lower right and bottom edge. It's more noticeable from raw card pics. But I own worse 9s, and if half grades are going to be a thing, then why not 8.5 since it seems a very strong 8.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olb31 said:

It happens in the other sports, too. Mark Belanger is almost certainly the best defensive baseball player of all time. His total impact is almost completely ignored, largely because we don't measure defense well, still. But you don't get cards that look like this (Mine, but seller photos):

with a 68 career OPS+ (he reached 100 in 1976, but only three other seasons over 75, including 1965 when he went 1 for 3.

In the NHL, the Selke Trophy for top defensive forward has gone to a player with fewer than 40 points once in the past 30 years, and Jonathan Toews (48) is the only winner since '03-'04 with fewer than 50. Similarly, the Norris Trophy, for top defenseman, has been won just once in the past 39 years by someone with fewer than 40. Last ten years, only Drew Doughty has led the league in Defensive Point Shares and won the Norris, with a majority of winners not in the top 10.

When Bobby Orr won his eight consecutive Norris Trophies, he was first in DPS four times, wile the other years he was 4th, 5th, 6th, and not in the top 10.

I'm not sure how players with huge contributions in basketball that don't hit the stat line are regarded, but I'll bet it's the same.

Bottom line is that most fans, and even sportswriters, don't understand what they're seeing out there. We tend to overvalue players with stats we can see and understand, but don't understand what makes the rest valuable.

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:

@olb31 said:

I've always felt football cards were a little undervalued as well in relation to its popularity. I don't know why football fans aren't as big on cards. It may be that its popularity is largely populated by the gambling aspect of its followers. They like to gamble more than collect.

Wouldn't collecting modern be perfect for the gamblers?

• Options
    CardGeekCardGeek Posts: 404 ✭✭✭

When the industry advertises that multi-million dollar cards are coming out of wax it's going to attract people who like to play the lottery.

I follow some card groups on facebook. Like every question is people asking how to sell. The rest of them are people advertising cards for sale.

Buying and selling stuff is one of my favorite things to do. There's so much competition now though. Serious lack of joy. I'm becoming obsolete.

• Options

@RonSportscards said:

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:

@olb31 said:

Wouldn't collecting modern be perfect for the gamblers?

The thought crossed my mind as well, but if they wanted to simply gamble, there are hundreds of other avenues as well...none of which are the same as betting on a football game.

• Options
    edited June 23, 2023 3:24PM

@daltex said:

@olb31 said:

It happens in the other sports, too. Mark Belanger is almost certainly the best defensive baseball player of all time. His total impact is almost completely ignored, largely because we don't measure defense well, still. But you don't get cards that look like this (Mine, but seller photos):

with a 68 career OPS+ (he reached 100 in 1976, but only three other seasons over 75, including 1965 when he went 1 for 3.

In the NHL, the Selke Trophy for top defensive forward has gone to a player with fewer than 40 points once in the past 30 years, and Jonathan Toews (48) is the only winner since '03-'04 with fewer than 50. Similarly, the Norris Trophy, for top defenseman, has been won just once in the past 39 years by someone with fewer than 40. Last ten years, only Drew Doughty has led the league in Defensive Point Shares and won the Norris, with a majority of winners not in the top 10.

When Bobby Orr won his eight consecutive Norris Trophies, he was first in DPS four times, wile the other years he was 4th, 5th, 6th, and not in the top 10.

I'm not sure how players with huge contributions in basketball that don't hit the stat line are regarded, but I'll bet it's the same.

Bottom line is that most fans, and even sportswriters, don't understand what they're seeing out there. We tend to overvalue players with stats we can see and understand, but don't understand what makes the rest valuable.

Belanger's WAR is higher than Baines who played 3 years more than him. Who knows, perhaps if 2 time convected drunk (public record) has stumped for Mark Belanger he too might be in the hall! (that simply meant as shot on Baines and LaRussa)

Still Belanger's offense stats are anemic. We're talking bad even in the dead ball era.

• Options

@daltex said:

@olb31 said:

Belanger's WAR is higher than Baines who played 3 years more than him. Who knows, perhaps if 2 time convicted drunk (public record) Tony LaRussa had stumped for Mark Belanger he too might be in the hall! (that simply meant as shot on Baines and LaRussa)

Still Belanger's offense stats are anemic. We're talking bad even in the dead ball era.

• Options

@daltex said:

@olb31 said:

Belanger's WAR is higher than Baines who played 3 years more than him. Who knows, perhaps if 2 time convicted drunk (public record) Tony LaRussa had stumped for Mark Belanger he too might be in the hall! (that is simply meant as shot at Baines and LaRussa)