This coin ex-Spink Numismatic Circular:

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
Well, just Love coins, period.

Comments

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

• WCCWCC Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not one I'm proficient at grading but I will say MS-65. To the extent I'm wrong, I'm guessing on the low side. I see light contact marks or something in the obverse field but the picture is really blown up.

It's really nice, whatever the number on the label.

• RexfordRexford Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Light friction on the high points of the portrait and some lines in the fields

IMHO the "lines" in the field are die prep primarily as they fade into the devices, and in hand the coin appears prooflike with came on the obverse with those on the reverse below shilling appearing to be artifact due to me taking picture of the PCGS picture = the coin is PCGS cert number: 27931381. Stunning in hand, although I am biased (well, that is why I bought the coin I suppose). Good guesses!

• Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think 65 at least. Could see 66 pretty easily.

My current "Box of 20"

• ClioClio Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lovely example. I like when they have that PL look.

Here's an interesting one that came up for auction awhile back I bid on.

https://noonans.co.uk/auctions/archive/lot-archive/results/380229/?keywords=1858+proof&discipline=&category=&date_on=&date_start=&date_end=&lot_no=

Note to say on their site that it wasn't a proof. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to win it.

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

Ah, thanks. And the above is lovely. As you then are no doubt aware so many of these are well struck PLs in the time frame. I bought even from Spink what does look to be close to proof, and they designated it as such, an 1859 - I am still not sure about that one; rims were "adjusted" (ie filed, possibly at the mint) which may have been done to correct finning. Many proofs of the 19th C. if you look carefully can have rims somewhat suspect for such adjustments.
    I posted previously my 1863/1 shilling which is quite contrasty and somehow was dinged for ?? I don't know what and only got a 62...