Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Thoughts on 1/1 cards?

I'm over on Reddit in the Footballcards sub and every single day there are at least 6-10 posts of people posting 1/1 cards they ripped.

How valuable can a card be when there are SO MANY 1/1 cards pulled all the time? These can't really have long-term value, can they? I mean, if only one person can ever have one, and if you don't have that specific 1/1 there are thousands more 1/1s to choose from?

I feel like these young kids are all getting scammed spending a ton and thinking they hit the jackpot with all these "rare" cards.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    SoxPatsFanSoxPatsFan Posts: 197 ✭✭✭✭

You're right. There may be hundreds of different 1/1's of a particular card, each with just a slightly different color or pattern. In the long run, why would any one particular color or pattern be more sought after than the others?

It's not just 1/1's, the same applies to most of today's numerous parallels.

• Options
    CentauriCentauri Posts: 120 ✭✭✭

IMO, there are significant 1/1’s, then rather mundane 1/1’s. Flagship 1/1 and the main Chrome Superfractor are legitimate high value high interest collectibles.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see the point of it for anyone collecting sets, even type or player sets. I'm not a modern collector, so I don't know this - does the registry include 1-of-1 cards as being required to complete a set?

• Options
    WillymacWillymac Posts: 204 ✭✭✭

90’s 1/1’s I think will be legit - some bankruptcy issues may pollute the true numbers but still there are some severely rare issues from the 90’s - thinking some of the Score stuff…

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2023 6:48AM

@gemint said:
    I don't see the point of it for anyone collecting sets, even type or player sets. I'm not a modern collector, so I don't know this - does the registry include 1-of-1 cards as being required to complete a set?

No, it does not. Cards must have a print run of at least 4 to be in a registry set.

Edit to clarify: print run of at least 4 to be a required item in the set composition. You may add print run items of 3 or less into a composition as Optional items.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

like jersey cards, 1/1 have become mightily diluted over the years. there are just so many every season that they no longer hold much prestige, because the collector simply knows there will be another shot at a 1/1 next week. The original 1/1's from the 90s will stay desirable, only because there are not 100s of 1/1's printed every season.

Same with autos, booklets and other parallels.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.