Home Sports Talk
Options

Packers game- guy that walked between both teams linemen and casually picked up the ball before FG

Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

Has there been an explanation for that? No whistle, penalties, time outs or anything had happened as he was just casually walking between the offensive and defensive linemen before the snap for the field goal and grabs the ball. Then the officials called unsportsmanlike conduct or something??? If the guy had been sitting at the 50 yard line eating a Papa Johns Pizza I would not have been more surprised than that play. Collinsworth and the other announcer had no idea what he was doing either. Sometimes you have to wonder what is really going on.

Comments

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think someone mentioned that he thought a timeout was called but I’m not sure. It really was bizarre.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    I think someone mentioned that he thought a timeout was called but I’m not sure. It really was bizarre.

Him casually strolling between the lines and grabbing the ball. Nobody had ever seen that. It was so strange. Very strange.

• Options

Even the lions players look really confused as he walks between the linemen.
    I wonder if any reporters asked him after the game what he was doing on that play.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2023 1:08PM

after that happened they showed a replay of LaFleur signaling for a TO prior to the snap. now if you run the clip and watch Douglas, you can see him looking at the sideline. he knew there was not going to be a play. why he decided to walk in between both lines and pick the ball up to let everyone know that is the great unknown.

but what i do know is that the optics were hilarious

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2023 1:25PM

That wasn't the only ridiculous stupid thing a Packer player did last night......
    How about when Quay Walker shoved the Lions medical assistant?

Total Packer breakdown.... What an embarrassment...
    Reason for the stupidity?....The Lions are a better team than the Packers...
    That's A bitter pill to swallow in Green Bay..

The Truth Hurts....

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    after that happened they showed a replay of LaFleur signaling for a TO prior to the snap. now if you run the clip and watch Douglas, you can see him looking at the sideline. he knew there was not going to be a play. why he decided to walk in between both lines and pick the ball up to let everyone know that is the great unknown.

He walked there and grabbed the ball to prevent the Lions from getting a practice kick at the FG.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:

This is literally the only reasonable explanation

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@galaxy27 said:

He walked there and grabbed the ball to prevent the Lions from getting a practice kick at the FG.

And get them closer?? That makes no sense if that was his thought process

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

yeah, that was a really bizarre thing. I have watched a lot of football in life and have never ever seen that before.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saving time on the clock. Lions would obviously make a first down in a play or two. Give them a first down immediately and try to stop them. I believe the Lions declined the penalty. They knew what was happening.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2023 8:08AM

@Tabe said:

@galaxy27 said:

yep

something i didn't consider at the time, primarily because i had never seen it before (and because i was too busy laughing)

• Options

@Brick said:
    Saving time on the clock. Lions would obviously make a first down in a play or two. Give them a first down immediately and try to stop them. I believe the Lions declined the penalty. They knew what was happening.

Ralph I didn’t understand a word of that explanation. 🤔

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ignore everything I said. I misremembered because I suffer from senility.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@Brick said:
    Ignore everything I said. I misremembered because I suffer from senility.

Ralph I hope you never stop posting here, you’re the best! 🤗

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

It's important to remember he didn't get a penalty for touching the football. He got a penalty for shoving somebody.

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@perkdog said:

It's important to remember he didn't get a penalty for touching the football. He got a penalty for shoving somebody.

It just shows how much favoritism there is toward Green Bay.

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@perkdog said:

The funny thing is, as that was happening I told my boys there are things you don't touch as a player
    1) the refs
    2) the flag
    3) the ball (between plays)
    4) chain gang

I forgot to mention the trainers but who would ever do that?