Home Q & A Forum
Options

What next?

I finally started going through a collection handed down to me. I chose the US Quarter thinking it would be the easiest to organize. I was able to separate 1932-1964's from the 65's and ups.
I would greatly appreciate your ideas as what to do next. Album?envelope?

Thank you for your interest

Happy New Year.
jamie

Comments

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2023 5:24AM

Here’s my “two cents” worth:

Buy an album (perhaps the standard blue Whitman folders) and fill the holes with the appropriate date and mint mark. Then shop around for the best multiple of face value that you can get for your duplicates (go to a local coin show - possibly around 17 or 18 times face value with Silver around $24 an ounce?), and use that money to buy coins for the holes where you do not have the coins with the proper date and mint mark. The more recent coins that are missing you can probably find in pocket change, or by getting a few “used” rolls from your bank and searching through them.

I just checked the Whitman folders - you will need at least four different ones (they retail for $5.99 each):
    1. 1932 - 1947.
    2. 1948 - 1964.
    3. 1965 - 1987.
    4. 1988 - 1998.

After 1998, it “explodes”, so you may, or may not, want to go that far - first with the State quarter series, followed by the National Park Series (America the Beautiful), and now with the American Women series of Washington Quarters. See where your interest takes you! I hope you have fun!

Happy Hunting!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options

Thank you Steve
    That is what I will do. Thank you for guiding me through this. As i dig deeper into the collection, i'm sure i've got every quarter thats has been produced. (not really) but it seems like it. Just came across these shiny guys. why so shiny?

• Options

• Options
    edited January 8, 2023 8:51AM

They’re in excellent condition either due to having been put away by the person you inherited it from at the time they were issued, or possibly (but less likely) they are “Proof” coins, specially made. If you go to a local coin shop, they should be able to tell you once they see the coin in person. If Proof, some are 90% silver, some are clad. Most shop owners are honest.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I value your "two cents" more as "a million bucks". I am grateful to Collectors Universe for hosting this forum and for allowing me to be part of this amazing community.
    I will be posting a lot on this forum and hope you are there with me as I uncover more of this collection.

Jamie

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Bicentennial quarter pictured is proof (S mintmark). It looks like it has picked up a few fingerprints so proper handling should be part of the learning process. ;)

• Options

I came across some rolls of these and they were sealed shut. There is no label on them so I (🤦) opened 2 of the rolls up to check what was inside. then I , as u can see, dumped them out into my hand ,hence the finger print (again, 🤦) boy they are pretty. mirror like reflection but with a gold rather than silver .

reminder to self: Don't touch

• Options
    edited January 8, 2023 12:12PM

They seem to be the 40% silver version.

It seems your benefactor was a silver hoarder. ;)

• Options

Why would you assume my father was a hoarder of silver?

• Options
    edited January 8, 2023 2:25PM

Lots of common silver coins...

He obviously liked silver. :)

• Options

FYI @aisleofview - I've been told that your fingerprint has now been uploaded from the photo of that coin to the FBI database!
    just kidding, lol

Steve

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@aisleofview Welcome, might be a good idea to buy the most current The Official Red Book by Whitman, which is a good reference on all US coins. You'll learn all about coins, value based on certain factors. Good luck and have fun. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

Thank you Roy for your comment. Official red book sounds like a great idea.

• Options
    aisleofviewaisleofview Posts: 12
    edited January 26, 2023 2:07PM

I've got rolls and rolls of quarters (65 up)
    is there anything i should be looking for in those rolls or should i just bank them?

I'v purchased those albums Steve mentioned in the first reply.
    1. 1932 - 1947.
    2. 1948 - 1964.
    3. 1965 - 1987.
    4. 1988 - 1998.