Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

B. Max Mehl's Good Luck Dealer Token

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 7, 2023 1:48PM in U.S. Coin Forum

B. Max Mehl had one of the most interesting dealer tokens and is one that I've been looking to acquire for quite some time.

Most of these are sold raw, but they are starting to get slabbed. They are common enough that I wanted to wait for a nice specimen.

A while back I missed out on a slabbed MS64, but luckily I was able to pick up this MS66RB.

Nice that I have this in hand today.

Max handed out this leaflet with his token, which I don't have yet.

Comments

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking example. I was lucky enough to get one of these in a large lot of dealer medal/tokens 2 years back. :)

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice token to remember a legendary coin dealer. That's probably the nicest one I've seen!
    I still have one for sale in worn condition, but it has languished for the better part of a a year. I thought these would be more popular.
    Congrats on the pickup!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2023 8:34AM

I sold a raw R/B choice unc red brown copper a few months ago which I thought was very common. Yet upon researching a bit then the prior often seen marketplace supply of nearly a decade ago seems to have dried up. Examples struck in nickel are even scarcer these days.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

@coinJP said:
    Nice looking example. I was lucky enough to get one of these in a large lot of dealer medal/tokens 2 years back. :)

@DCW said:
    Nice token to remember a legendary coin dealer. That's probably the nicest one I've seen!
    I still have one for sale in worn condition, but it has languished for the better part of a a year. I thought these would be more popular.
    Congrats on the pickup!

Thanks for the compliments @coinJP and @DCW! I was happy to be able to pick this one up!

• Options

@Broadstruck said:
    I sold a raw R/B choice unc red brown copper a few months ago which I thought was very common. Yet upon researching a bit then the prior often seen marketplace supply of nearly a decade ago seems to have dried up. Examples struck in nickel are even scarcer these days.

I agree that these don't appear to be on the market as much as they used to and most of them are raw. It seems like they are snapped up pretty quickly on the bay, but I'm not sure at what prices. There seems to be only one raw specimen available at the moment.

Here's a nickel one which I still need to find:

Ref: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/20thc-max-mehl-fort-worth-texas-coin-1840198113

• Options

I thought I had acquired the copper one too but looking back it was the nickel version.

• Options
    edited January 8, 2023 9:09AM

@coinJP said:
    I thought I had acquired the copper one too but looking back it was the nickel version.

Wow! That's awesome! Congrats!

The nickel issue doesn't show up often from what I've seen.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinJP

Yours looks copper from my screen

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

@DCW said:
    @coinJP

Yours looks copper from my screen

Definitely not copper. It's an old cellphone pic. I'll dig it out later and take a new pic.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have any idea when Mehl distributed them. I believe he was in business for about fifty years, ending around 1957.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,041 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin Dealer B. Max Mehl Good Luck Coin
    Bronze, 31 mm, 11.40 gm
    Obverse:
    Figure of Hanuman, the Hindu Monkey God, holding his tail
    Reverse:
    Horseshoe
    B. MAX MEHL / NUMISMATIST FORT WORTH TEXAS
    GOOD LUCK be with you

:)