Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Second Acquisition of 2023 and its Details Graded...

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 6, 2023 7:40PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

1822 British West Indies, George IV "Anchor Money" Quarter Silver Dollar, Breton-858 / Charlton NC-1B2, Ex: Temple.

I've wanted a larger diameter example of Anchor Money for a few years. The 1/16 and 1/8's seem to be the most common denominations seen. Surface condition on these even when straight graded isn't very appealing as heck I've just recently saw a MS63 with pin scratch graffiti in the obverse fields. A 200-year-old coin dipped bright white doesn't do much of anything for me either. This example is from the Dr. John Temple collection of Canadian Tokens which sold at auction 11 years ago. It was his primary 1/4-dollar example which PCGS graded XF Details Cleaned. Even so I found it to be somewhat wholesome and eye appealing. Rub wise having circulated I see it as AU bettering some AU53's I've seen. No plans for now on doing the whole set... Yet those things kind of just happen without planning.

If you have an example of Anchor Money, please post yours as I'd love to see it... Thanks in advance! :)

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭

I have 6 of the 13 Charlton varieties in my collection:
    NC-1B1 + 1B2
    NC-1C1 + 1C3
    NC-1D1 + 1D2

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1960NYGiants thanks for posting that group shot as visually your photo does wonders seeing the diameter differences between the 1/16, 1/8, and 1/4.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!