Home Q & A Forum
Options

Grading from Japan has not returned for over a year.

Roxio8825Roxio8825 Posts: 4
edited January 6, 2023 6:53AM in Q & A Forum

Hello!
I live in Japan. I sent PCGS to the United States for grading several modern Japanese coins, but they have not returned after more than a year. I am submitting my coins to PCGS via an official PCGS dealer in Japan, but I am worried that some kind of incident or accident has occurred for such a slow appraisal. For those of you here (mostly in the US) how long does it take to get your gradings back if you send them to PCGS? Please tell me if you don't mind.
Best regards.

Comments

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2023 11:07AM

ご挨拶、

For reference, here are the current estimated turnaround times in the United Sates.
    Note #1 - I do not know what these figures were when you submitted a year ago.
    Note #2 - These figures are business days at PCGS, and do not include shipping time.

Source: https://www.pcgs.com/services

To me, a year seems excessive.

What does your PCGS dealer say about the turnaround time, and estimated return date?
    Alternatively, if you have the 'submission/order' number, you could always ask PCGS directly.

Edited.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have confirmation that your coins made it to PCGS? A year sounds too long.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

MetoroD

Thank you for your answer!
    I have also inquired with Japanese dealers, and I have heard that they are pear pebbles.
    Also, the inquiry number and the submission number have been passed through the agency, so I have not been notified, but I am asking the dealer if they know the number.

• Options

CrrisH821> @ChrisH821 said:
    Do you have confirmation that your coins made it to PCGS? A year sounds too long.

I agree!
    Too long! Actually, I would like a PCGS employee or public relations person to answer this question.
    Some other collectors in Japan have taken nearly two years.
    In fact, the slowest of my coins is 1 year and 6 months old.

• Options

@Roxio8825 said:
    I agree!
    Too long! Actually, I would like a PCGS employee or public relations person to answer this question.
    Some other collectors in Japan have taken nearly two years.
    In fact, the slowest of my coins is 1 year and 6 months old.

PCGS does not normally monitor this forum for customer service issues.

Respectfully, you are more likely to get an answer about your specific order from your dealer, or agency.
    If this is not successful, I then recommend contacting PCGS directly.

I am GUESSING that your order shipped through PCGS Asia. If this is correct, you can find their "contacts" here: https://www.pcgsasia.com/contact

I wish you success. :)

• Options

Thank you for your advice!
    The dealer contacted me and PCGS informed me that it will be delivered to the dealer in two or three flights soon.
    The problem seems to be that some people submit 100-200 coins at a time, and that the Chinese currency is sent in frighteningly large quantities from China. (It seems that there are also many fakes. I was in trouble!)
    I also sent an email to PCGS Customer Service myself, and the first response I received was the usual text. (It's a copy and paste!)

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check of a bottleneck at a trans shipment point!

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@Roxio8825 said:
    Thank you for your advice!
    The dealer contacted me and PCGS informed me that it will be delivered to the dealer in two or three flights soon.
    The problem seems to be that some people submit 100-200 coins at a time, and that the Chinese currency is sent in frighteningly large quantities from China. (It seems that there are also many fakes. I was in trouble!)
    I also sent an email to PCGS Customer Service myself, and the first response I received was the usual text. (It's a copy and paste!)

Your last post indicated that you expected your coins back "soon".

Another month has passed. Hopefully, you have your order back, and are pleased with the results. :)