Home Sports Talk

One hit wonders

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Athletes that had one great season and the rest of the time they were mediocre, let's hear em.

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brady Anderson had a phenomenal 1996 season, hitting 50 HR and 110 RBI, but he never came close to that the rest of his career. I've heard speculation that he may have been using steroids that season, but I don't know if it's true or not.

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Barry fosters 1992 season comes to mind.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Broncos Tebow throws 80 yarder to beat Pittsburh in the playoffs - and that was about it for him......

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

" After posting a 19-9 record in his 1976 rookie season with a league leading 2.34 ERA and an insane 24 complete games, Fidrych was gone before anyone could ever get to know him."

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joe charboneau was rookie of the year in AL and out of MLB after 3 years, having really sucked his second and third years

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

One game wonder. Timmy Smith

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    Joe charboneau was rookie of the year in AL and out of MLB after 3 years, having really sucked his second and third years

He was plagued with a chronic back injury. You can only wonder if he would have remained healthy. I got to know him pretty well after his baseball career as we played major softball against each other.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kevin Mitchell

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    One game wonder. Timmy Smith

Totally forgot about his big Super Bowl game!!!

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 7, 2023 3:34PM

Wally Moon......Not a one hit wonder it the strictest sense.....but he was famous in L.A. for his one type of hit...."THE MOON SHOT!"....A Very interesting part of baseball nostalgia....I KNOW my first thoughts of baseball was hearing about Wally's "MOON SHOTS." It was at the same time that the U.S.A. was gearing up to put a man on the Moon. I thought the Dodgers had an astronaut on the team!...I really did. Childhood is a wonderful thing! Innocent...

CHERISH THE CHILDREN..

They Are The Most Important Thing...

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

? and the Mysterians

The Kingsmen

The Penguins... Earth Angel remains just one of the classics from the Doo-Wop Era

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 7, 2023 7:07PM

@coinkat said:
    ? and the Mysterians

The Kingsmen

Well, coinkat...? And The Mysterians....hold a special place in my heart!....96 TEARS!.....Anyway, I met The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant when she was a 17 year old beauty!....There was a burger joint in her home town...A cow town..... ART'S!....She liked to go to Art's!... There was a juke box there....One day when we were there she told me that her and her cousin would always play 96 Tears on the juke box....Their favorite song!.....And then she told me that nobody knows who sings that song......"That's why it's by ? and The Mysterians!"....Nobody Knows!.... She was so ditzy... she still is....Its been a running joke for 46 years now! ? And The Mysterians....
    The Light of My Life!...Both of Them!

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 7, 2023 7:12PM

@Steven59 said:

" After posting a 19-9 record in his 1976 rookie season with a league leading 2.34 ERA and an insane 24 complete games, Fidrych was gone before anyone could ever get to know him."

Fidrych was even better his second year before he got hurt. He was 6-2 with a 1.83 ERA in 1977 before it.

Shame he never got the torn rotator cuff diagnosed while playing.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

Little Eva.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Embraceable Ewes

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.

You guys who just posted a pic should give a name so we know who it is, perk and Landry did the same thing.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

A song manfred Mann did better than Springsteen who wrote it,
    Blinded by the light

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21

@Darin said:

You guys who just posted a pic should give a name so we know who it is, perk and Landry did the same thing.

That's Ken Brett's kid brother, I forget his name. He's best known for crapping his pants and making errors in the postseason, but he did have one good year.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kevin Maas. was it 1990 he had his one good season?

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

Buddy Biancalana is the literal definition of a one hit wonder.
    In 1982 he had 2 at bats and had a triple. That hit gave him an ops+ of
    476. The next year his ops+ was11

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21

@dallasactuary said:

@Darin said:

That's Ken Brett's kid brother, I forget his name. He's best known for crapping his pants and making errors in the postseason, but he did have one good year.

It’s hard to remember any of the guys who played back in the Jim Rice era because of his total domination of the game.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:

@dallasactuary said:

@Darin said:

It’s hard to remember any of the guys who played back in the Jim Rice era because of his total domination of the game.

That's true.

Showtime I thought you would like that post 👍

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    Showtime I thought you would like that post 👍

You know me well...😂

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Forget about George Brett, I'm not sure Dallas even remembers his own name. Why don't you ask him and see...

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Moonlight Graham.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".