Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

Pricing of Coins

where do you usually find prices, that you sell for, ie I watch the auctions, etc....., like a 1964 1c MS63 business strike sold on 7/30/2003 bowers & Merna auction for $2,588.....so if you have one you would want to sell that for the same as well? I am curious,
Also would that be the same as if you found a coin you are interested in.

I watch various auctions, various sells ...I do have mutilple of certain coins, that I would sell after grading....

Comments

• Options
    bretsanbretsan Posts: 112 ✭✭✭

PCGS has a database of auction prices for all US coins. There are some filters for CAC graded, minimum and maximum grade and Ebay sales. So, PCGS auction prices give me an idea of the ceiling for sale prices. I also check on Greysheet to get a sense for minimum value. In summary, Greysheet is the floor and auction prices are the ceiling. Exceptions to this are very rare grades/dates or beautifully toned coins.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rsei0120 said:
    where do you usually find prices, that you sell for, ie I watch the auctions, etc....., like a 1964 1c MS63 business strike sold on 7/30/2003 bowers & Merna auction for $2,588.....so if you have one you would want to sell that for the same as well? I am curious,

I watch various auctions, various sells ...I do have mutilple of certain coins, that I would sell after grading....

I have a few comments. First, can you provide the link to the coin that sold for $2,588 through SB? I strongly suspect that it is an SMS coin and not an MS coin, unless it was a wild error piece. Also, you posted about thinking you had 1964 SMS cents in late December and I responded to you to tell you that you don't have them and explained why. Did you read my post, which would help you save lots of money if you intend to certify typical MS 1964 cents? Lastly, you should ask these question in the US coin forum as you will get far more traction there than here.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    mavs2583mavs2583 Posts: 200 ✭✭✭✭

My method is to look on the pcgs website for the coin in that grade, and to also check on great collections since they do not send their results outside of their site. I then look at the coin in question and try to find a comparable (i.e. similar wear/luster, CAC vs non CAC, etc) and use my best judgment on price.

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the 1964 1c that you have graded? If not then there is no way you are going to sell it for that much. An auction result from about 20 years ago is really out of date as far as pricing is concerned.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use CoinFacts from PCGS, eBay auction records, and CAC price guide (if it's a CAC coin). Then I find a price somewhere in that data that I am comfortable with. Maybe a little less than average if I'm looking for a quicker sale. If it's an extra fine coin, maybe a small premium appropriate to the coin's condition.

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rsei0120 said:

There are three auction sites that have good historical records:

• Stacks Bowers
    • Great Collections
    • Heritage Auctions

Cross reference any coin with historical auction prices and you can triangulate a good approximate price.

• Options
    rsei0120rsei0120 Posts: 127 ✭✭

so very interesting, I want to thank all of you, I am learning so much, however I will definitely ask y'all before I grade again, I am still learning as to what to grade or not, Yes there are coins I would like to sell, keep, Of course I would like to make some money, especially to help pay off a mortgage lol...I like being debt free, So do and have any of you sent to auction?...and if so reserve or not...

I'm a RE Broker, and that's why the prices on PCGS throw me, or if the same coin sold for an amount in 2005, and then 2010 price is low, I guess I don't understand why not the same at least (if increased) just like your housing market, I am sure no one wants their property to totally loose money... I will get it, just interesting.

• Options

so. Questions. on the 1982-D, small date , why is that a money pit, is it worth sending in for Grading and sell at auction, and not sure which is small or large dates, I think I have it, and then it throws me again. Here are my zincs. which according to pricing should be 10,000 - 16,000 in 2019, however I can't find anything closer, these should grade out at around 69 as well, but you Never know.
    1982 sm zinc.jpg
    1982 Lg zinc.jpg
    1982-D sm zinc.jpg
    1982-D lg zinc.jpg

• Options

@rsei0120 said:
    so. Questions. on the 1982-D, small date , why is that a money pit, is it worth sending in for Grading and sell at auction, and not sure which is small or large dates, I think I have it, and then it throws me again. Here are my zincs. which according to pricing should be 10,000 - 16,000 in 2019, however I can't find anything closer, these should grade out at around 69 as well, but you Never know.
    1982 sm zinc.jpg
    1982 Lg zinc.jpg
    1982-D sm zinc.jpg
    1982-D lg zinc.jpg

What could possibly ever make you believe these cents shown are worth $10,000-$16,000 each.

• Options

@rsei0120 said:
    so very interesting, I want to thank all of you, I am learning so much, however I will definitely ask y'all before I grade again, I am still learning as to what to grade or not, Yes there are coins I would like to sell, keep, Of course I would like to make some money, especially to help pay off a mortgage lol...I like being debt free, So do and have any of you sent to auction?...and if so reserve or not...

I'm a RE Broker, and that's why the prices on PCGS throw me, or if the same coin sold for an amount in 2005, and then 2010 price is low, I guess I don't understand why not the same at least (if increased) just like your housing market, I am sure no one wants their property to totally loose money... I will get it, just interesting.

Prices listed by PCGS mean nothing by themselves, they are always used in context. You're a real estate broker so you should understand this concept. Do you look at a home in a terrible neighborhood and estimate its value the same as a similar structure in the best neighborhood in your city? Of course not. So, why would you look at PCGS prices for auctions of the very finest graded coins and then take those values and assign them to generic, relatively low grade mint state pieces that you own? It makes no sense.

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2023 6:37PM

@rsei0120 said:
    1982 sm zinc.jpg
    1982 Lg zinc.jpg
    1982-D sm zinc.jpg
    1982-D lg zinc.jpg

One auction for $10k. NO other auction data.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/lincoln-cents/1982-d-1c-small-date-bronze-au58-ngc/a/1294-3684.s

If you go on a pc browser they usually have images showing the difference between small and large dates and other unique features (like a slanted versus standing '5'.

Most of your coins will not grade at 69 even by the limited quality of images, and even if they did, they'd be worth a cent. The chances of someone finding a $10k coin is less than the chances of winning the lottery. Literally hundreds of millions of pennies have been produced.

Back to the values question... It's worth what someone would pay. I'd hate to see you spend $30 or $40 each coin with shipping to grade common coins and never get your money back. Take it from someone who hasn't had good luck with the grading roulette game... It will not pay off unless you take the time, buy some books, and study. If you haven't already, watch pcgs YouTube videos on grading. You will learn a lot.

Save your money and buy some graded examples to learn what the look for before trying to cherry pick. It will save you money in the long run.

• Options

146027 1982 Zinc, large date
    146033 1982 Zinc, Small date

pcgs

you did say to ask,

• Options

I started watching th Youtube PCGS grading, I also have bought books, and have been reading through them..including ANA grading standards. You are definitely right, I definitely would like to see Graded examples, I am a visual person, also when it comes to learning . thank you.

• Options

Sometimes, just sometimes, if the neighborhood is up and coming, a crappy house as long as it's not a tare down is not always bad, have made some money on those flips

• Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭

@rsei0120 said:
    I started watching th Youtube PCGS grading, I also have bought books, and have been reading through them..including ANA grading standards. You are definitely right, I definitely would like to see Graded examples, I am a visual person, also when it comes to learning . thank you.

If you are grading the above coins as 69’s, you are not understanding the grading material in those resources. There is nothing like seeing PCGS/NGC graded coins in hand to truly learn.

Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

This particular forum is known as the,

BUY, SELL, TRADE

Coin discussions are better on the US Coin Forum because many informed posters don't venture over here.

Have a nice day