Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Would it be even remotely possible to have a 1962 Topps Willie Mays #300 Green Tint variation?

secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

Would it be even remotely possible to have a 1962 Topps Willie Mays #300 Green Tint variation? Or, can one of the inks that should be used be missing in 62s?

Many years ago I had purchased a collection of 1962s Topps including green tints from a collector that had both of these Mays cards. There was no cost difference in the cards at the time and I got some excellent green tint Ruths. I've finally gotten around to grading these 2 Willie Mays and I thought I would see if I had found anything special here before I decide to let one go.

Looking for the green tint expert or someone that knows if there could be additional rare color variations. Ebay has listed a 1962 Topps Hank Aaron card that has an "missing ink error" with similar tinting to mine but it is not a known variation for that card.

Please feel free to share any thoughts.

Comments

• Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t think it would be a green tint, but there are definitely Willie’s with different traits. For instance, the yellow line at the bottom of your two is most common but a few have a thick black line to separate it from the next card below. Some of the PDs seem to be in the same place, while others have it in a different place. I think snow is
    Most prevalent on the black line cards too. Very cool cards.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@secretstash said:

Looking for the green tint expert or someone that knows if there could be additional rare color variations. Ebay has listed a 1962 Topps Hank Aaron card that has an "missing ink error" with similar tinting to mine but it is not a known variation for that card.

Please feel free to share any thoughts.

Just because some clown on eBay advertises a card as a rare error doesn't make it so. As there is nothing indicating anything unusual about the card on the flip, I call shenanigans.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

I don't think the Mays cards are green tint.
    The line at the very bottom is relatively common on 62's

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • backbidderbackbidder Posts: 232 ✭✭✭

Green tints are limited to second series cards. The Mays and Aaron abo ve look to be sun faded to me.

https://bigleaguecards.com/baseball/inside-the-pack-1962-topps-green-tints-a-unique-challenge-for-collectors/

• reminder to all that the sun, rain, or other does not in any way tarnish the quality of graded cards. This one has been out in the elements for years and still looks newly graded. No 'green tint' or other.

• saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2023 10:57PM

Based on the appearance, its possible the card on the right is "yellowless".

With yellow you'd get green grass in the bottom left and you'd get a truer orange in the Giants uniform. Probably a better wood color as well.

It's also possible that the Aaron is "yellowless". Same thing going on with the grass and wood. Wonder if they are from the same sheet?

With that said may be so short print of a variation that there is no collectable value added. Just kind of a one off.

Sun fading is possible and perhaps most likely. But I'd say generally that its unusual for that to be consistent across the entire surface of the card.

Now if you could find all or most of the cards from the sheet being "yellowless" maybe you'd be on to something. Maybe there is a card on the sheet with something that clearly should be yellow that is missing? And it would seem unlikely that its gone this long without being discussed but still possible.

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2023 4:39AM

@Ridethelightning said:
    reminder to all that the sun, rain, or other does not in any way tarnish the quality of graded cards. This one has been out in the elements for years and still looks newly graded. No 'green tint' or other.

@Ridethelightning Just curious… what’s the Buy-It-Now price for your rare Nolan Ryan card?

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.