Red Sox finally sign Devers to an 11 year contract

tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭✭

$332,000,000 11 years NO OPT OUTS !

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

OPS+ of 124?
    Is he even as good as Jim rice was for Boston?

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    OPS+ of 124?

Comparison through their Age 25 seasons: https://stathead.com/tiny/f0hQC

Hard to make the case that Rice wasn't better. The triples number surprises me very much.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

it is a pretty close comparison, through age 25. I would say you are getting awfully similar offensive production out of a more valuable position, 3b, with Devers. Also, Devers has been very good during the post season.

I am glad they are extending him. about time.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jim Ed is catching some stray bullets/collateral damage in this thread.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5, 2023 8:18AM

I think Bloom etal realized the impact of losing Devers might be too much for the Red Sox Faithful to endure.
    Given Bloom's recent transactions, it may have been better to trade him and spend the money elsewhere and continue to rebuild, as it appears he's doing. No doubt Devers will have some emotion to deal with, especially with Bogaerts gone.

I certainly wish Devers well, hope he can get by on $30m for 6 months of playing baseball. B)

• tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭✭

Well guys, it looks like they have a decent team and still have over $30,000,000 left over for more players when they are necessary. It will be hard to beat out the Yankees pitching staff though.

@craig44 said:
    it is a pretty close comparison, through age 25. I would say you are getting awfully similar offensive production out of a more valuable position, 3b, with Devers. Also, Devers has been very good during the post season.

I am glad they are extending him. about time.

Seriously? Rice had a 40 point advantage in OPS in a more difficult offensive environment. Not remotely similar. It's hard to tell with the Green Monster, but it looks as though Rice played a much easier position decently, while Devers played a more challenging position putridly. I think everything except the offense roughly equals out, but Rice, to this point, was much better offensively.

@tommyrusty7 said:
    Well guys, it looks like they have a decent team and still have over $30,000,000 left over for more players when they are necessary. It will be hard to beat out the Yankees pitching staff though.

I don't see it. I mean other than Martin all of the new acquisitions will need to have a significant reversal of the trend of their play just to tread water. I just have no idea how this team contends for fourth place. Who is best on the team after Devers who, I hasten to add, has 0 top ten MVP finishes? And I mean now, not 2018 when Sale was last good.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

Glad they got him for 11 years
    He is a superstar and will only get better
    Capable of the triple crown.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets

Foot ball is almost over as the Super Bowl is on the horizon.
    Daytona is almost upon us and spring training is right behind that.
    Then we can get on with some serious baseball.
    It's been a long boring winter !
    GO Red Sox !

Red Sox still have $30,000,000 to spend and there are some pretty big names out there.
    Correa, Bower are 2 of them,
    I don't care what they have done in their pasts, its what can they do for us in the future.
    We have all made our share of mistakes in the past!

Bloom should be on Bauer like stink on s--t.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stinks Boagarts is out though

He will be missed for sure.
    He followed the money which was his desire,
    You can't always have bit both ways in life.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    OPS+ of 124?

That's misleading. He's clearly trending up. 141 in 22, 38 homers the year before. And still just 25.

@Tabe said:

@Darin said:
    OPS+ of 124?

That's misleading. He's clearly trending up. 141 in 22, 38 homers the year before. And still just 25.

Yes. If 2019 is a baseline then this is a good signing. A peak and it's terrible.