Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

A new direction in Colonial notes?

I just watched a YouTube video done by a generalist coin dealer showing some graded colonial notes he had recently purchased.
I am intrigued!
I had never before thought about exploring and buying in that area.
Other than “Buy the best you can afford”, what advice do you have?
What is the first book to buy?
Which dealers should I engage?
Any other advice?

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.

Comments

• Options
    element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭

The main book is "The Early Paper Money of America", by Eric P Newman. I have the 5th edition, I do not know if there is a newer one.

I think Colonials are a good value, though I personally keep spending my money on other things. I would like to extend my One-per-State set, I have three states but could use more.

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

C4 is more about the coins and less about the paper, although there is one currency related video.

Heritage and Stack's auction archives are among the best information sources for pricing and these auctions can be sources of material, too. Very few dealers specialize in colonials but a much larger number have a few to a few dozen, sold as a sideline item.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    OnwardOnward Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited January 8, 2023 10:45PM

Congratulations on your discovery, Yorkshireman! Colonial and Continental currency offer some of the most interesting and still uncharted waters you could hope for. Eric Newman's The Early Paper Money of America would be the place to begin. I started with the third edition, moved on to the fourth (1997), and was very glad when the fifth ((2008) was published. The sixth edition (2022) is the most recent. I am pleased with all. There are other references to add once you have worked your way through Newman's published work, but The Early Paper Money of America contains many starting points for further research, and is thus essential.

Each edition has its strengths, there are differences between each. If you pursue this area, you may find great benefit to having both of the latest editions. The fifth has fewer color images than the sixth, but I find the larger font in text blocks more enjoyable to consult. Some pricing history in the fifth edition has been omitted from the sixth. Some of the notes in the fifth printed actual size are reduced for the sixth. The 2008 edition also contains a 24 page color section of uncut sheets and individual notes, that was not included in the subsequent edition. The sixth incorporates Mr. Newman's updates after the fifth edition went to press. Pricing for graded notes is included in the sixth edition, which will be useful if you want to pursue certified grades. There are new color photos in the latest edition, which are neat to compare with their monochrome predecessors. A few interesting errors apparently escaped notice, such as the reversed image of the back of the Virginia April 1, 1773 James River Bank Indented note (printed correctly in the 2008 edition).

Your coin pursuits will serve you well. The notes are still inexpensive enough that even if you go the graded route, you should pick up some uncertified pieces so you can learn the feel and look of the notes. Studying them will help you learn how to recognize alterations and repairs. You will learn a lot of American history. Like coins, paper notes are very different once encapsulated inside the holder. You already know all the steps. Look at as many notes as you can before you start buying seriously. What you find important in the beginning of your journey may not seem so once you have had some time to decide what you like about the notes, and what is important.

I find the notes attractive and interesting in any condition. In the type sets I assembled, some were unobtainable or unaffordable in anything above Fine. No problem, the type set spans nice pieces ranging from Fair on up. When I learn how to create images like EVP, I will proudly post my lowest graded note, a wretched and intriguing early New Jersey six pounder still unpriced in the latest edition.

Pursuing Charles & Joanna, especially Early Series

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the information!

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onward said:
    Congratulations on your discovery, Yorkshireman! Colonial and Continental currency offer some of the most interesting and still uncharted waters you could hope for. Eric Newman's The Early Paper Money of America would be the place to begin. I started with the third edition, moved on to the fourth (1997), and was very glad when the fifth ((2008) was published. The sixth edition (2022) is the most recent. I am pleased with all. There are other references to add once you have worked your way through Newman's published work, but it The Early Paper Money of America contains many starting points for further research, and is thus essential.

Each edition has its strengths, there are differences between each. If you pursue this area, you may find great benefit to having both of the latest editions. The fifth has fewer color images than the sixth, but I find the larger font in text blocks more enjoyable to consult. Some pricing history in the fifth edition has been omitted from the sixth. Some of the notes in the fifth printed actual size are reduced for the sixth. The 2008 edition also contains a 24 page color section of uncut sheets and individual notes, that was not included in the subsequent edition. The sixth incorporates Mr. Newman's updates after the fifth edition went to press. Pricing for graded notes is included in the sixth edition, which will be useful if you want to pursue certified grades. There are new color photos in the latest edition, which are neat to compare with their monochrome predecessors. A few interesting errors apparently escaped notice, such as the reversed image of the back of the Virginia April 1, 1773 James River Bank Indented note (printed correctly in the 2008 edition).

Your coin pursuits will serve you well. The notes are still inexpensive enough that even if you go the graded route, you should pick up some uncertified pieces so you can learn the feel and look of the notes. Studying them will help you learn how to recognize alterations and repairs. You will learn a lot of American history. Like coins, paper notes are very different once encapsulated inside the holder. You already know all the steps. Look at as many notes as you can before you start buying seriously. What you find important in the beginning of your journey may not seem so once you have had some time to decide what you like about the notes, and what is important.

I find the notes attractive and interesting in any condition. In the type sets I assembled, some were unobtainable or unaffordable in anything above Fine. No problem, the type set spans nice pieces ranging from Fair on up. When I learn how to create images like EVP, I will proudly post my lowest graded note, a wretched and intriguing early New Jersey six pounder still unpriced in the latest edition.

Thanks for the intel.