Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I think I may auction this specimen ( modern gold)

bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice looking coin.

• Options
    numismagramnumismagram Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

Great piece. This entire series of commemoratives has gone up considerably in the past two-three years. If you're interested in consigning it in the upcoming Stack's Bowers Hong Kong auction in the spring, just reach out. I work in the World & Ancient department as the day job, and that's one our two upcoming sales currently being built, the other being the late February CCO.

Jeremy Bostwick

For exceptional works of medallic art, check out our current inventory at Numismagram!

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that is a stone cold beauty! I would imagine the gold value alone to be considerable.....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    jdmernjdmern Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

Love that type!

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics

• Options

@numismagram said:
    Great piece. This entire series of commemoratives has gone up considerably in the past two-three years. If you're interested in consigning it in the upcoming Stack's Bowers Hong Kong auction in the spring, just reach out. I work in the World & Ancient department as the day job, and that's one our two upcoming sales currently being built, the other being the late February CCO.

I may

I also have the 10000 rupiah as well

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

I also found in my sdb a 25000 1970 rupiah PCGS proof 67

What’s is worth ?

Auction prices all over the place and it seems the 20000 rupiah ( same date ) is worth more …

• Options
    edited January 23, 2023 8:39PM

Auction selling has always been kind of a crapshoot. You would get decent prices realized if two or more collectors were after your coins. But if it was only dealers or other resellers, you would get wholesale.

During COVID, many more collectors were buying and a new breed of dealer appeared--the internet equivalent of vest pocket dealer. In Mexico, we called them Facebook sellers, but here they are probably selling on Instagram. With all these people competing for coins (especially more collectors), prices naturally rose.

Lately, I have noticed an overall decline in prices broadly. The in-demand countries & series (think Spanish Colonial, 19th Century English gold and crowns, gem Mexican Republic 8 Reales, etc.) and the trophy coins have held up pretty well. But a good bunch of the other stuff has suffered. Especially average coins in average grades.

I'm not sure of the reason(s). Could be high interest rates, high prices, diminishing amount of internet vest pocket dealer competition, coin money being diverted to expensive food/housing costs, etc.

Myself, I have stopped selling widgets at auction for now. I may end up putting things at fixed price on eBay or even take a table at regional shows.

To bring it back to the OP, that's a great coin. Why not just hang on to it and sell it at your next show table? Gold isn't in any danger of declining.

• Options
    edited January 23, 2023 8:52PM

@pruebas said:
    Auction selling has always been kind of a crapshoot. You would get decent prices realized if two or more collectors were after your coins. But if it was only dealers or other resellers, you would get wholesale.

During COVID, many more collectors were buying and a new breed of dealer appeared--the internet equivalent of vest pocket dealer. In Mexico, we called them Facebook sellers, but here they are probably selling on Instagram. With all these people competing for coins (especially more collectors), prices naturally rose.

Lately, I have noticed an overall decline in prices broadly. The in-demand countries & series (think Spanish Colonial, 19th Century English gold and crowns, gem Mexican Republic 8 Reales, etc.) and the trophy coins have held up pretty well. But a good bunch of the other stuff has suffered. Especially average coins in average grades.

I'm not sure of the reason(s). Could be high interest rates, high prices, diminishing amount of internet vest pocket dealer competition, coin money being diverted to expensive food/housing costs, etc.

Myself, I have stopped selling widgets at auction for now. I may end up putting things at fixed price on eBay or even take a table at regional shows.

To bring it back to the OP, that's a great coin. Why not just hang on to it and sell it at your next show table? Gold isn't in any danger of declining.

I agree thanks for your insight.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am literally watching the Stephen Album sale. A couple silver ones just went past at huge numbers over the estimates to the point the auctioneer sounded astonished (in a low key way--as in 'really, that high' type of comment). Lovely toning on one and hammered about $1200, the other at $950. I only looked at my screen because of his comment. Lots 1269 and 1270 of the current live auction. This may be a good time to sell it.

• Options

@Stork said:
    I am literally watching the Stephen Album sale. A couple silver ones just went past at huge numbers over the estimates to the point the auctioneer sounded astonished (in a low key way--as in 'really, that high' type of comment). Lovely toning on one and hammered about $1200, the other at $950. I only looked at my screen because of his comment. Lots 1269 and 1270 of the current live auction. This may be a good time to sell it.

wowee the bids on these coins remain strong others have sold last year similiar.... what kind of portrait is on the reverse and obverse ?

Thank you for bringing to my attention :)

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why not just sell it here on the forums and wait to get the price you have in mind.

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2023 6:47PM

@KingOfMorganDollar said:
    Why not just sell it here on the forums and wait to get the price you have in mind.

The price he has in mind might be too low :smiley:

@bidask The auction description calls it 'Winged Garuda' https://sarc.auction/INDONESIA-Republic-AR-750-rupiah-1970-PCGS-Proof-68-DCAM_i47285908

NGC/Krause just 'garuda bird'
    And the other is some kind of national bird. ETA: that is probably the more orinthologic version of Garuda according to Wiki which makes sense.

I'm feeling the google-fu, so here is what I came up with for Garuda--Hindu origin.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garuda

And the Krause/NGC price guide description of the one that sold. One was in a 67 slab and the other in a 68.
    https://ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/indonesia-750-rupiah-km-26-1970-cuid-1130704-duid-1475156

My lots weren't up for a bit and I had the auction going on my laptop, and the like I said the auctioneer sounded so mildly astonished I had to look at the screen. If I had to guess the gold will do very well.

And this is why coins are cool. I started off today not knowing a dang thing about Garuda. Now I know there are two forms and that 'bird' on the reverse of the Indonesian coins is likely Garuda and not some stylized eagle type bird.

• Options

@Stork said:

@KingOfMorganDollar said:

The price he has in mind might be too low :smiley:

@bidask The auction description calls it 'Winged Garuda' https://sarc.auction/INDONESIA-Republic-AR-750-rupiah-1970-PCGS-Proof-68-DCAM_i47285908

NGC/Krause just 'garuda bird'
    And the other is some kind of national bird. ETA: that is probably the more orinthologic version of Garuda according to Wiki which makes sense.

I'm feeling the google-fu, so here is what I came up with for Garuda--Hindu origin.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garuda

And the Krause/NGC price guide description of the one that sold. One was in a 67 slab and the other in a 68.
    https://ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/indonesia-750-rupiah-km-26-1970-cuid-1130704-duid-1475156

My lots weren't up for a bit and I had the auction going on my laptop, and the like I said the auctioneer sounded so mildly astonished I had to look at the screen. If I had to guess the gold will do very well.

And this is why coins are cool. I started off today not knowing a dang thing about Garuda. Now I know there are two forms and that 'bird' on the reverse of the Indonesian coins is likely Garuda and not some stylized eagle type bird.

:):)

• Options

With gold up I may auction more modern foreign gold .

• Options

@bidask said:

Did you ever sell the 1970 20k Rupiah in the OP, or the 25k R you found in the SDB?

How did they do?

• Options

@pruebas said:

@bidask said:

Did you ever sell the 1970 20k Rupiah in the OP, or the 25k R you found in the SDB?

How did they do?

sold the 20 rupiah outright, problably will auction the 25 rupiah if not sold NYNIC 2024

• Options

Here is another nice modern coin.

Actually more scarce than the 25000 rupiah

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the earlier coin as the second is alright but not quite as nice. You look to be sitting on a gold pile! [poor pun there].

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

@7Jaguars said:
    I like the earlier coin as the second is alright but not quite as nice. You look to be sitting on a gold pile! [poor pun there].

The Indonesia 20,000 rupiah is 1.4286oz AGW with a Pop 3/9 and a mintage of 1285 is more in demand by alot..... however the Golde is 1.5783 oz AGW with a mintage of 400 pop 2/0. ;)

Maybe someday Africa coins will get hot !