Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

German medal abbreviation help

This late 18th C. medal of C. K. von Kressenstein (1454-1535) has initials or abbrev. on the obv of "C.PR.S.C.M" below the right arm. Also a big V. on the right armor edge. 41mm. No markings on the edge. I'd like to decifer the letters. Thanks. Happy New Year to all my friends here. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I can’t answer your question, I will take this opportunity to gripe about German auctioneers abbreviating the heck out of their auction descriptions.

Don’t they know that online translators don’t do abbreviations? 😵‍💫

• Options
    IVBIVB Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

"C.PR.S.C.M" — "Cum Privilegio Sacrae Caesareae Majestatis", this phrase translates as "with the privilege of the Holy Imperial Majesty".
    This is the privilege statement for printers / engravers in Holy Roman Empire. This privilege is not only the authorization to publish, but the imperial printing privilege gave copyright protection to the publisher for a time.

• Options
    numismagramnumismagram Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

@Namvet69 It appears to be a form of the signature for G. W. Vestner. The V on the armor edge make sense, but according to Forrer (Biographical Dictionary of Medallists, vol. 6 [T-Z]), the additional C.PR.S.C.M. was also an extension of his signature, though he does not spell out what exactly this means...

@pruebas yeah, abbreviations, especially with respect to references, are a pain. What can complicate it even more is when the reference is actually a specialized catalog, and the name of that catalog/collection has numerous parts that can conceivably be what is meant. It takes a bit to get used to what they are actually referencing,

Jeremy Bostwick

For exceptional works of medallic art, check out our current inventory at Numismagram!

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

@numismagram and @IVB Much appreciation on the info. This data really brings this medal alive for me. Thanks again. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall