Home Q & A Forum
Options

Error quarter

Micar549Micar549 Posts: 2
edited December 31, 2022 2:15PM in Q & A Forum

Any one know what to call this type of error?

Comments

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Need more and better photos but you can be sure this didn't happen at the Mint.

• Options

That was about the best photo I could get. Nearest I could tell is they used the wrong center planchet.

• Options
    lcutlerlcutler Posts: 504 ✭✭✭✭

@Micar549 said:
    That was about the best photo I could get. Nearest I could tell is they used the wrong center planchet.

That's not possible, the planchets are cut from a sheet or strip of clad material. The center cannot be smaller than the outside layers. This is some kind of damage or intentional alteration.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

Manmade. Not an error of any kind.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pmd by Dremel tool.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or acid.

Photos of the obverse and reverse might be interesting

But as noted, can't be an error.

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it was done with a C&C machine, no way that happened at the mint.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics