Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How is this card a PSA Gem Mint 10

halfloadhalfload Posts: 4

There are cards that are in the gray area, they could be mint or gem mint. It could go either way because it's so close. This card, however, defies logic. Could someone please explain why the card would a receive a grade PSA Gem Mint 10?

Comments

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Note the logo on bottom.

"It's the singer not the song"

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options

@BBBrkrr said:
    If that’s a 10 then I have some 6s I need to get regraded.

Fully agree.

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2023 4:58PM

It has been speculated over thousands of cards yet still some believe its just a conspiracy theory that 4sharpcorners or anyone can possibly have received special grading treatment by psa...

WAKE UP

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2023 8:16AM

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:
    Note the logo on bottom.

I know you’re implying the tired conspiracy theory that 4SC gets preferential treatment with the cards they submit. But this is a consignment. 4SC didn’t submit this card to PSA.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

^ is it actually a consignment or an ad-blurb for their consignment segment of the business.

Card at absolute best is an ugly 8

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2023 4:56PM

@DBesse27 said:

Note the logo on bottom.

I know you’re implying the tired conspiracy theory that 4SC gets preferential treatment with the cards they submit. But this is a consignment. 4SC didn’t submit this card to PSA.

^ is it actually a consignment or an ad-blurb for their consignment segment of the business.

Card at absolute best is an ugly 8

BOOM!

The facts are it doesn't matter if it is 4SharpCorners or SubmitterABC, some submitters get preferential treatment...

If anyone takes just one minute to look at the 50+ cards before and after in certification, the clown show quickly ends... Every card is magically a PSA 10.

Next, @DBesse27 will come back and say that this submitter must request to not holder anything but PSA 10s. LOL These people...

PLEASE WAKE UP!

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Easy... gorgeous smooth edges.... impeccable centering... this is a fabulous PSA 10 example.

• Options

@ScoobyDoo2 said:
    Easy... gorgeous smooth edges.... impeccable centering... this is a fabulous PSA 10 example.

Sarcasm? Right?

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bigger question is why are people submitting 89 Mahorns?

• Options
    rbsalezmanrbsalezman Posts: 83 ✭✭✭

Who knew you could get O-Pee-Chee cuts on Fleer basketball cards?

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rbsalezman said:

That cut is relatively common on the 89 Fleer that I've opened. I'm not saying that it should be ignored by the grader, but rough edged 89s are not rare.

• Options

I did look up a bunch of certs in this same sequence - all 1989 Fleer. It's true they are all PSA 10s. I can only see pictures of some of them if they had recent eBay sales. Most look like actual 10s. This one I could not give a 10 due to the centering, but it's not egregious like the one in the OP:

https://www.psacard.com/auctionprices/basketball-cards/1989-fleer/c-green/auction/-6473939698736854242

Same with this:
    https://www.psacard.com/auctionprices/basketball-cards/1989-fleer/detlef-schrempf/auction/-2520281758169586878

It looks like this 1989 Fleer run starts with cert 66084885 and ends with 66085059. I probably checked like 50 of them, and every single one is a PSA 10 with the exception of a couple of missing certs (maybe they were like N6 and couldn't be graded). Still, I don't know how anyone could get that many consecutive PSA 10s.

I will say though that these all looks like commons. I think PSA grades different players in the same set with different standards. I really doubt they'd hand out a 10 so easily to a Jordan card.

• Options

@rbsalezman said:

It's the rare 1979 OPC retro cut variation!

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

@rbsalezman said:

It's the rare 1979 OPC retro cut variation!

It's the 1989 Fleer rough cut. Very common.

• Options
    Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2023 12:47PM

I measure approx 43/57 centering, so it's within posted PSA 10 standards. If the corners hold up under a loupe and the surface is clean I don't have an issue with it being a 10...I wouldn't buy it though

This discussion has been closed.