Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Am I just Getting Paranoid in my Old age but I see scams Everywhere!

Latest,

At least I think, you all tell me.

Having Collected everything to do with Mutoscope and Exhibit Supply Cards of the Girly Girly Model nature for 30-40 years now, I've seen most things having to do this this type of card. I even Own the Most Complete sheet of 1944 Gum Inc. American Beauties Cards ever discovered, 24 Card Sheet of the Original 36 or 48 Card Production Sheet. And have Thousands of Mutoscope Cards and Uncut Sheets.

And then this; This seller is selling Three of these and I almost laughed when I saw them!

Really:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234835901295?hash=item36ad4f7b6f:g:tOoAAOSw07BjM5es

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334679898146?hash=item4dec79f822:g:wXYAAOSwHe9jM5ix

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334679898146?hash=item4dec79f822:g:wXYAAOSwHe9jM5ix

I myself have Never seen any of these....EVER, and so I decided to raise a couple issues with the Seller.

I sent hime this message

1. How have you determined that these are Salesman Samples? Do you have any documentation?
  2. How do I know this isn't just 4 Random Mutoscope Artists Pin-ups Cards thrown on a Specific type of Construction Paper, and Walla you have Saleman Samples?
  3. How exactly do Cards that are attached to a Flat Surface with a border around the Card as protection get Differing spots of Edge Wear and Corner Wearing?

And so many more, but lets start with these. Now perhaps I am wrong and if proven so would Gladly be the Owner of Genuine items and I may have been just a Tad Snarky....But Really!

What do you'll think?

Oh and Yes I have not heard back from the Seller, and doubt I will!

THanks

YeeHaw!

Neil

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2022 4:44PM

I get very frustrated whenever I see an unusual item that I want to know more about and when I click on the description it says nothing about the item, but the seller goes on and on with a bunch of general information about their business.
    I would guess there is a possibility a salesman put these together to help with his/her presentation. These are just basic cards attached to a backing, correct?
    Let us know if the seller replies!

BANZAI!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭✭

I would ask if they are going to be sent to the new ebay authentication process.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

I've been on the boards for 8 years with you Neil, and I can honestly say you're not getting paranoid in your old age. You've always been paranoid. ;)

• Options
    thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭

@detroitfan2 said:
    I've been on the boards for 8 years with you Neil, and I can honestly say you're not getting paranoid in your old age. You've always been paranoid. ;)

Then where the He!! you been the previous 10-12 years? :D:D

YeeHaw

Neil

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    I get very frustrated whenever I see an unusual item that I want to know more about and when I click on the description it says nothing about the item, but the seller goes on and on with a bunch of general information about their business.
    I would guess there is a possibility a salesman put these together to help with his/her presentation. These are just basic cards attached to a backing, correct?

BANZAI!

For me it’s eBay listings telling me they are selling cards to raise money for their kid’s braces or their polyp-removal surgery but they can’t devote more than one sentence to the condition of the item.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2022 12:55PM

Absolutely Hilarious,

This Clown sends me on OFFER before he even answers my Question! Said he would give me %33 percent off.
    Please follow up and Ban this A44Hole!

Heres my answer!
    Evening,

Interesting you sent me an Offer for this item and did not answer my questions. Could you please answer a few questions before I decide.

Thanks

1, How is this a Salesman Sample, just Curious as to your research that has led you to this claim?

2 Do you have some sort of documentation?

3 Could you explain how these Salesman Samples Cards have differing Wear on the Edges and Corners of the Cards that live Flat on Another piece of Period Construction paper with no way for the edges to be Worn? Just Curious?

1. Lets be honest, those are 4 Different 1945 Mutoscope Artists Pin-Ups cards put on a Period piece of Construction paper.......And Nothing More! At least you Sort of created a New Scam....But the bottom line is I will Make Sure that this Scam is aired, and in my opinion, get rid of the listings before E-Bay bans you !

Have a Great Day Scum!

YeeHaw

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

It seems like it gets worse every year.

• Options

I would let it stress me out, p*ss me off for weeks, post about it, and not be able to sleep for weeks upon such an atrocity if this was for anything but girly pic cards.

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

An issue I have known of but just recently experienced is encountering a shill bidder. I was bidding in an ebay auction recently and realized every bid I made for an item was within seconds countered by a bidder with only 1 feedback. I didn't think much of it at first but became a bit suspicious as this kept happening bid after bid with this same "bidder". So I played the game for awhile and let the bid amount get crazy high (3x this items value) while letting the shill bidder ending up on top. The seller relisted the item soon after the auction ended, but then cancelled it almost immediately saying the item is no longer available in an attempt to cover tracks I would guess? Upon further investigation this "bidder" had 100% of their bid history with this particular sellers items. So for giggles I checked into another item this seller currently has up for auction and surprise, there's yet another "bidder" bidding on that particular item with only 1 feed back and coincidentally all 100% of this bidders bid history with this sellers items also. I just reported this to ebay. Be careful guys. Scams everywhere. Happy New Year!

• Options
    MinorLeaguerMinorLeaguer Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

I'm with Elaine on this one.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=dwnanPuuCwk

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nathaniel1960 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

BANZAI!

For me it’s eBay listings telling me they are selling cards to raise money for their kid’s braces or their polyp-removal surgery but they can’t devote more than one sentence to the condition of the item.

OMG that bothers me too! Can I get a small description please.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.