Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

eBay promoted listing

jt88jt88 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone find that using eBay promoted listing helps sell their items? I find that the promoted listing fee is getting pretty high now. Some of the fees are even as high as 13%.

Comments

  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,931 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jt88 said:
    Does anyone find that using eBay promoted listing helps sell their items? I find that the promoted listing fee is getting pretty high now. Some of the fees are even as high as 13%.

    Yes, it does. However, the cost varies. I can't even figure out how they determine the cost. I rarely use it for coins but I do use it in other categories where it is often cheaper.

  • Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭✭

    I’ve used it a few times for coins and made sales every time. I adjusted the price to compensate for the higher fees.

  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

    IF eBay was smart, they would promote certain dealers listings for free instead of letting the dealers promote junk.

    In my category of error coins, I have the best inventory on eBay by far, IMO eBay should promote my listing for free.

  • Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The last couple coins I listed on eBay, when it asks if I want to promote them, I hit "yes" to their 3.7% fee it offered, then immediately after that I can adjust the ad rate to 2.0% which is far more reasonable. It seemed to help with the visibility and I had a lot of views and watchers. I've done it the other way around where I hit "no" first and then go back and add the 2.0 rate but it doesn't seem to work as well as the former option. I've also promoted some of my girlfriends designer heels on there but then it only asks for a flat $2.50, so I'm not sure exactly what the basis for the pricing is.

  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,931 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ErrorsOnCoins said:
    IF eBay was smart, they would promote certain dealers listings for free instead of letting the dealers promote junk.

    In my category of error coins, I have the best inventory on eBay by far, IMO eBay should promote my listing for free.

    So you can then complete the transaction off eBay... ;)

  • Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I have only used it a few times and therefore it’s too hard for me to draw conclusions on the effectiveness.

    Can anyone comment on what type of items it seems to work best for? For instance, is it better to help a $200 widget stand out from the crowd or is it more effective for a unique but hard to sell $1,000 item?

  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

    i do for items sporadically BUT if an item has sat too long, i remove the promotion. i ONLY want to pay a fee if it ends up generating a sale within an acceptable window.

    it SEEMS like in order to get rid of the fee being charged though, the listing needs ended and relisted/sell similar as i know i've had sales for multi-quantity items where i turned off the promotion from within the active listing but it still showed i was charged on sales after i turned it off.

    does anyone wonder if this is just the same feature but just repackaged? there were/are a few/several options available to make a listing stand out and/or be higher in relevant search results.

    don't forget to check the stats page that shows listing impressions and other numbers to try and get some more info about how listings are performing. conversion rates/sell-through etc.

    <--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

  • Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I tried to use it for high price coins to see if I can get some attentions. So basically I used it as advertisement.

  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jmlanzaf said:

    @ErrorsOnCoins said:
    IF eBay was smart, they would promote certain dealers listings for free instead of letting the dealers promote junk.

    In my category of error coins, I have the best inventory on eBay by far, IMO eBay should promote my listing for free.

    So you can then complete the transaction off eBay... ;)

    No not at all.

    Let me ask you this, when you go to your favorite category, do you want to see promoted junk or the best dealer in your fields offerings. I hate looking at junk.

  • Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @J2035 said:
    I have only used it a few times and therefore it’s too hard for me to draw conclusions on the effectiveness.

    Can anyone comment on what type of items it seems to work best for? For instance, is it better to help a $200 widget stand out from the crowd or is it more effective for a unique but hard to sell $1,000 item?

    I've found it really doesn't matter unless it's a high demand item, ie certain Morgan's. Without the ad fee I can get a few hits here and there. With the ad I can get several followers and a few hundred hits.

    It definitely helps with exposure and time to sale, however you have to be careful to add that % on top of your normal listing/sale fees as you can quickly end up losing money. I lost $17 on a sale because I under quoted and it was a high demand item so the recommended fee was higher than I remembered.

    Additionally, if you use a private window to search for your product you can see where it lists without it reading your past search history or seeing you logged in. I've found that if it recommends 3%, for example, if I add 1/2 to 1 percent above that, I am almost always at the very top. But if I use the recommended amount, many times I end up on the middle or bottom third of the page.

    So in short a little research on your own product placement will go a long ways.

  • Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I have paid the $3.49 fee to promote auctions of my more expensive bullion coins, i.e. k-rands and AGEs.

    I have never seen promotion offered for a percentage.

    I feel I get a few more views with promotions, but have no way of determining if I am wasting my money or not.

    I'll just gamble that $3.49.

    Vplite99
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @vplite99 said:
    I have paid the $3.49 fee to promote auctions of my more expensive bullion coins, i.e. k-rands and AGEs.

    I have never seen promotion offered for a percentage.

    I feel I get a few more views with promotions, but have no way of determining if I am wasting my money or not.

    I'll just gamble that $3.49.

    must be a category thing as i've only seen the percentage amount i can set myself, although it usually has a higher "recommended" amount.

    <--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

  • Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Without promotion fee I usually offer 10% discount to the watcher but with promotion fee I save that 10% for the promotion fee. I can tell more listings get watcher with promoted listing. However, I am not sure about the sales. Also does anyone knows if the item gets returned, do you also get your promotion fee back?

  • Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jt88 said:
    Without promotion fee I usually offer 10% discount to the watcher but with promotion fee I save that 10% for the promotion fee. I can tell more listings get watcher with promoted listing. However, I am not sure about the sales. Also does anyone knows if the item gets returned, do you also get your promotion fee back?

    Pretty sure everything but the $0.30 fee gets returned if I'm not mistaken?

  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,931 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ErrorsOnCoins said:

    @jmlanzaf said:

    @ErrorsOnCoins said:
    IF eBay was smart, they would promote certain dealers listings for free instead of letting the dealers promote junk.

    In my category of error coins, I have the best inventory on eBay by far, IMO eBay should promote my listing for free.

    So you can then complete the transaction off eBay... ;)

    No not at all.

    Let me ask you this, when you go to your favorite category, do you want to see promoted junk or the best dealer in your fields offerings. I hate looking at junk.

    It was a joke

  • Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I just sold one item via promoted listing. I think it helps with promoted listing but the fee is pretty high, total is about 20% fee. The buyer asked for discount but I told him I can't give out discount because eBay fee is 20%. I finally shared the international shipping cost with the buyer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file