Home Sports Talk

Is Mac Jones a dirty player?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

The whole sports world seems to be talking about this, Mac Jones was fined by the NFL for a low hit on Eli Apple, and Apple called it a dirty hit. This is not his first time being called out for questionable tactics. What do you think, is he a dirty player?

Comments

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

They called him MacEnroe while at Bama. Yes, I think that was a cheap shot and uncalled for.

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe just a qb who don't know how to tackle? I will say he did what a lot of other qb's wouldn't have done. Many would have just olayed on that play or worse, done nothing.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

It wasn't until this play that I saw so much about him being dirty. I guess he had that rep. This play is not quite as egregious as some think, but I see how it's dirty and I can't defend it. As mentioned above, a lot of QBs would do nothing or get ran over. His lack of tackling experience combined with getting ran over the week before no doubt played a role. I think the week before was the biggest factor, and put into a defensive situation he wanted to do something.

I know he won't admit to being dirty, but I'd like to see him change. No more plays that anyone can call dirty. No more bad tackles. No more cleats up sliding. Etc.

@Bullsitter said:
    They called him MacEnroe while at Bama. Yes, I think that was a cheap shot and uncalled for.

Now that's funny.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember last season, Jones grabbed our guy, Brian Burns, he grabbed his ankle and did this. They've supposedly made up since, but Burns was pretty upset at the time, and it aggrevated an ankle injury he already had. I personally think Mac Jones is a dirty player, he's eventually going to end up hurting someone.

@doubledragon said:
    I remember last season, Jones grabbed our guy, Brian Burns, he grabbed his ankle and did this. They've supposedly made up since, but Burns was pretty upset at the time, and it aggrevated an ankle injury he already had. I personally think Mac Jones is a dirty player, he's eventually going to end up hurting someone.

Which is why he needs to address this, publicly and privately. It's never too late. If he doesn't, even if he stops, I think he will be the one getting hurt.

I'm sure he has an excuse for each play. As in, he thought that guy had the ball, or he thought Apple was still going to be a key blocker. But this is what you might call in business an "opportunity".

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mac Jones sure seems to be a dirty player. Like DG of the GS Warriors that loves to knee/kick folks:

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/05/draymond-green-kick-golden-state-warriors-videos

Not a good look for Mac Jones and it occurs again and again................ It is called poor sportsmanship. Ain't a Purdy look.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • purduepetepurduepete Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

100% dirty. This was from earlier this season. No penalty was called on the play either.

Tom

Collecting: Topps 1952-79, Bowman 1952-55, OPC 1965-71, and Pre-War White Sox cards
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LandrysFedora said:
    Maybe just a qb who don't know how to tackle? I will say he did what a lot of other qb's wouldn't have done. Many would have just olayed on that play or worse, done nothing.

He went after a guy who didn't have the ball. Has nothing to do with not knowing how to tackle. 100% a dirty play.

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@LandrysFedora said:

He went after a guy who didn't have the ball. Has nothing to do with not knowing how to tackle. 100% a dirty play.

I will concede after reviewing that play multiple times that it's definitely not a good look for Jones. Things happen so fast in the NFL so I'm personally not going to say it was dirty. I don't know what he was thinking at that time, could it have been malicious on his part? Absolutely. Could it have just been a guy who's not normally in a position like that making a bonehead play? Possibly. Thankfully no one sustained a serious injury.

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why is billie-chick keeping this wanker around? No integrity...................

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...

@spacehayduke said:
    Why is billie-chick keeping this wanker around? No integrity...................

So you want me to have to start defending Belichick?

• MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2023 4:16PM

Some sports show announcer who's name I can't recall had an interesting thought about the "dirty plays" by Mac Jones. He said while none of them are really egregious by themselves that what makes them so bad is this: Mac Jones as a QB has so few opportunities to commit such plays. It seems that each time he can do something like this block/tackle or the raised-leg-on-a-slide into a nut sack that he does it.