Home Sports Talk

Terrell Owens calls Jerry Jones

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's true, Terrell Owens called Jerry Jones seeking a tryout for the Cowboys.

Cowboys EXCLUSIVE: Terrell Owens, 49, Calls Jerry Jones Seeking NFL Tryout
Cowboys ex Terrell Owens, a Pro Football Hall of Famer, wants to play in the NFL again and become the oldest player to do so.

HOUSTON - Legendary Hall of Fame wide receiver Terrell Owens is eyeing a potential comeback at age 49 and has set his ambitions on playing for the Dallas Cowboys for the second time, according to NFL sources.

Owens' Houston-based agent, Gregory D.L Daniel, Esq., confirmed that he has been in contact with the Cowboys and other NFL teams.

Owens has been training and is in optimal condition, by all accounts. He worked out with Baltimore Ravens wide receiver DeSean Jackson this year prior to the veteran Jackson signing with the AFC North playoff team.

If signed, Owens would become the oldest player to play in the NFL in league history. George Blanda was a quarterback and placekicker who retired in 1976 at the age of 48 after playing 26 years in the NFL.

Daniel addressed with CowboysSI.com the prospect of T.O. possibly rejoining the Cowboys.

"We've been in constant communication with Jerry Jones' office over the last few days about the possibility of him returning to the Cowboys," Daniel said. "Terrell is ready to contribute and play any role, big or small. He's in outstanding shape. He looks no different than he did years ago. I watched him running routes full-speed with DeSean and he looked great. He didn't drop a pass.

"He most recently ran a 4.5 40-yard dash, which was his warm-up. He's a legend. We want to make history and see him break these records. If anybody can do it, it's him. His three Ds are desire, dedication and discipline. He embodies that every day, even running hills at 3 a.m. on Christmas morning."

When asked about the prospects of playing for Cowboys owner Jones again, Owens' agent passed on his client's thoughts: "He wants to win, I want to win."

Jones does have a history of making bold moves, but no deal is imminent at this time. The playoff-bound Cowboys have Pro Bowl receiver CeeDee Lamb at the top of the depth chart, recently flirted with free agent Odell Beckham Jr., and then signed vet T.Y. Hilton.

When asked previously if he would be willing to join an NFL practice squad, Owens has said in interviews: "Absolutely. That's similar to the NBA 10-day practice squad. I just need an opportunity. There are 32 teams. I just need one 'yes'."

Owens, who was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2018 in his third year of eligibility, has caught 1,078 career passes for 15,934 yards and 153 touchdowns, during 15 seasons in the NFL. He ranks third all-time in receiving touchdowns in NFL history behind Jerry Rice and Randy Moss. He's four touchdowns behind Moss, who ranks second overall in that category.

Owens played for the San Francisco 49ers, Philadelphia Eagles, Cowboys, Buffalo Bills and Cincinnati Bengals. His last full-time season in the NFL was in 2010 with the Bengals. Since that season, he has played in an indoor football league and was also with the Seattle Seahawks briefly in 2012. He was signed by the Fan Controlled Football League in March.

"Just let him prove it," Daniel said. "Just put him on the field. We can all make a lot of skeptical comments about what he can do. The reason he's doing this is because he knows he can do this. He will never let anyone say what he has the ability to do. Leave it up to his ability and let his skills speak for themselves."

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fine, but if we lose in the playoffs, I don't want to see none of this!

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

Give the guy a try, honestly why not?

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Give the guy a try, honestly why not?

Yes, I agree. Mustache Jones is on vacation but he'll be back soon. They used to be so close, Jones and Owens, Jerry even taught him the correct way to point his finger at people!

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

that would be amazing. i hope someone gives him a chance.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can understand pro athletes only playing a couple of years then going broke. Not many people are good with their cash in their early 20s. I know I wasn't. But when you play into your 30s and make so much, it's crazy. Still, I can empathize. Not with the millions, but the mismanagement. TO went broke, and like many athletes has serious child support payment problems. I haven't checked into it, but I remember a few years ago this being the case. I assume this is just a money grab. Still, it would be fun to watch.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh well, shouldn't have been so greedy........

"Cowboys, Terrell Owens unable to reach deal as 49-year-old asks for too much money: report"

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:

"Cowboys, Terrell Owens unable to reach deal as 49-year-old asks for too much money: report"

You figure at age 49 he would be happy if offered league minimum with incentive clauses for production.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LandrysFedora said:

@Steven59 said:

You figure at age 49 he would be happy if offered league minimum with incentive clauses for production.

With a proper marketing team, he could make sooooo much if this just came to fruition. But afaik it is most likely just a desperate money grab. In an imaginary scenario, if he did get on the field and produce it would possibly be a windfall.