Home U.S. Coin Forum

Got a Nikon D3500 for Christmas but found out I need a different macro lens...suggestions?

NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, I asked Santa for a new camera. I previously was using a D200 I bought used a few years ago. I picked out a new D3500 from B&H. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that my the Tokina atx-i 100mm f/2.8 FF Macro Lens I was using with the D200 wasn't compatible. Can anyone recommend a different macro lens to use with the D3500? Thanks.

Comments

  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2022 6:44PM

    Can you get a lens adapter? That exists, I think. Way cheaper than a new macro lens. I'm not a photo equipment expert, but something like this should work.

    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1669887-REG/nikon_niftz2_ftz_ii_mount_adapter.html

  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @BryceM said:
    Can you get a lens adapter? That exists, I think. Way cheaper than a new macro lens. I'm not a photo equipment expert, but something like this should work.

    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1669887-REG/nikon_niftz2_ftz_ii_mount_adapter.html

    Not sure BryceM. The lens is the same F mount, it mounts to the camera but it doesn't electronically connect. I found this online about the lens. "The Nikon mount version relies on a drive screw from the internal autofocus motor of up-market DSLR bodies. This means that autofocus is completely unavailable when using D3xxx and D5xxx series Nikon cameras (such as the best-selling Nikon D3500(opens in new tab)), as well as some older entry-level models. Autofocus is also unavailable when using the lens with Nikon Z-series(opens in new tab) mirrorless bodies via the FTZ mount adapter, although autofocus does work with Canon EOS R-series bodies via a mount adapter."

  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @BryceM said:
    Can you get a lens adapter? That exists, I think. Way cheaper than a new macro lens. I'm not a photo equipment expert, but something like this should work.

    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1669887-REG/nikon_niftz2_ftz_ii_mount_adapter.html

    FTZ is to convert DLSR lenses to mirrorless. The D200 and D3500 are both DSLRs, but the former is full frame and the latter has a crop sensor. Crop lenses will work on full frame, but I don’t think the reverse is true (or it may be with limited utility). One other consideration is the D200 probably has a built-in autofocus motor while I doubt (haven’t checked) that the D3500 does. This means some lenses may work with the D3500, but won’t autofocus unless the lens has its own autofocus motor.

    With that in mind, I use a Sigma 180 and to a lesser extent their 105 (only when shooting something too big for the 180). I hear good things for the 150, as well. That said, those lenses require an autofocus motor. You may need to go Nikon to get an AF macro lens. I’d still recommend 150 or above unless you routinely shoot things larger than silver dollars (for those I use my 105 or accept lower quality and go with landscape wide angle lenses I have). KEH is a great place to look for used lenses which can come at steep discounts.

    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I need a Nikon. My phone ran out of film! 🤣 😂

    Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

    coinjp, I bought my wife the D7500 this Christmas. I purchased a camera bundle which came with some sort of macro adapter. I’ll send a pic of it when I get home tomorrow.

  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @airplanenut said:

    @BryceM said:
    Can you get a lens adapter? That exists, I think. Way cheaper than a new macro lens. I'm not a photo equipment expert, but something like this should work.

    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1669887-REG/nikon_niftz2_ftz_ii_mount_adapter.html

    FTZ is to convert DLSR lenses to mirrorless. The D200 and D3500 are both DSLRs, but the former is full frame and the latter has a crop sensor. Crop lenses will work on full frame, but I don’t think the reverse is true (or it may be with limited utility). One other consideration is the D200 probably has a built-in autofocus motor while I doubt (haven’t checked) that the D3500 does. This means some lenses may work with the D3500, but won’t autofocus unless the lens has its own autofocus motor.

    With that in mind, I use a Sigma 180 and to a lesser extent their 105 (only when shooting something too big for the 180). I hear good things for the 150, as well. That said, those lenses require an autofocus motor. You may need to go Nikon to get an AF macro lens. I’d still recommend 150 or above unless you routinely shoot things larger than silver dollars (for those I use my 105 or accept lower quality and go with landscape wide angle lenses I have). KEH is a great place to look for used lenses which can come at steep discounts.

    Yes your right Airplanenut, the D3500 doesn't have an a built-in focus motor. I mainly collect up to half dollar diameter but do have some larger medals I would like to shoot. Thanks for the help! Will check out KEH. The B&H guy told me to get the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro Lens for Nikon F. Might try to find one used.

  • BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

    You may find you want to manually focus anyway. I have an older Canon, but I use the autofocus to get close and then hand-tune. I was finding that the AF picked stupid focus points, it would be CLOSE, but not quite right.

    I'd give it a try.

    I've used these people in the past https://fotodioxpro.com with good results.

    -----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

    If you're just photographing coins and using a copy stand you don't really need auto focus. Old manual focus Nikon macro lenses are a lot cheaper and there are plenty of them around. I don't know if the 3500 will meter in manual mode with the older lenses. If not, experimenting with aperture and shutter speed should get you good results. I use a D-7000 for coin photography, coupled with old 105 and 200mm F4 macros depending on the size of the coin. Paid about $200 each for them several years ago and they may be even cheaper now. Throw in a set of extension tubes, (also inexpensive) and you're good to go. Spend the money you save on coins.

    Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Also consider using you monitor in live view.

    I think the sync cord is $20.

    Anything to get immediate feedback eliminates aggravation and a few unnecessary steps.

    BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

  • vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I had posted about a very nice macro lens since having to go back to using my twelve year old Nikon D3100 and got a sparingly used AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G off eBay for considerably less than brand new price.

    Good luck in finding best alternative and kindly update this thread when you find the best solution because am trying to learn how to take better pics. :blush:

    Cheers.

  • The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 836 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I have a D5300 and a 90mm Tamron Macro lens to go with it. I never use autofocus simply because the feature doesn't consistently focus in where I need to go.

    Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @coinJP said:

    @airplanenut said:

    @BryceM said:
    Can you get a lens adapter? That exists, I think. Way cheaper than a new macro lens. I'm not a photo equipment expert, but something like this should work.

    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1669887-REG/nikon_niftz2_ftz_ii_mount_adapter.html

    FTZ is to convert DLSR lenses to mirrorless. The D200 and D3500 are both DSLRs, but the former is full frame and the latter has a crop sensor. Crop lenses will work on full frame, but I don’t think the reverse is true (or it may be with limited utility). One other consideration is the D200 probably has a built-in autofocus motor while I doubt (haven’t checked) that the D3500 does. This means some lenses may work with the D3500, but won’t autofocus unless the lens has its own autofocus motor.

    With that in mind, I use a Sigma 180 and to a lesser extent their 105 (only when shooting something too big for the 180). I hear good things for the 150, as well. That said, those lenses require an autofocus motor. You may need to go Nikon to get an AF macro lens. I’d still recommend 150 or above unless you routinely shoot things larger than silver dollars (for those I use my 105 or accept lower quality and go with landscape wide angle lenses I have). KEH is a great place to look for used lenses which can come at steep discounts.

    Yes your right Airplanenut, the D3500 doesn't have an a built-in focus motor. I mainly collect up to half dollar diameter but do have some larger medals I would like to shoot. Thanks for the help! Will check out KEH. The B&H guy told me to get the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro Lens for Nikon F. Might try to find one used.

    The 105 should be decent for most coins, and indeed I used it for many years, but at the small end (dimes, cents especially) I’m not a huge fan of it compared to a more powerful lens. Of course, I have two macros and two landscape lenses (24-70, 28-300) so it’s easy for me to say. If you’re going to use the camera for more than just coins, you may want to consider how best to cover your needs based on the coins you’ll shoot and how frequently.

    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I use a Sigma 180MM on my Nikon and I love it.

    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Ok so I was playing around with the Tokina atx-i 100mm f/2.8 FF Macro Lens on the D3500. I switched it to M mode and the image came up on the live screen and was able to focus in and out. When I took a picture nothing recorded on the memory card. Any ideas or its just not compatible at all?

  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It should be compatible in manual exposure, manual focus mode. The lens has a manual aperture ring that you normally set to f32 to use automatic exposure. If you're using this and the camera doesn't fully couple electronically with the lens, you may need to set your aperture with this ring, otherwise it may be using f32. I would set it at f8 or f5.6 and try taking a picture of a lamp.

  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @messydesk said:
    It should be compatible in manual exposure, manual focus mode. The lens has a manual aperture ring that you normally set to f32 to use automatic exposure. If you're using this and the camera doesn't fully couple electronically with the lens, you may need to set your aperture with this ring, otherwise it may be using f32. I would set it at f8 or f5.6 and try taking a picture of a lamp.

    Hi messydesk, I was able to take a few pictures after playing around with it. Moving the lights around and changing the ISO and exposure did it as well. Thanks!

  • ldhairldhair Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I'm a fan of the Sigma 150. It requires a tall copy stand for larger coins but there is a lot of room to work with the lighting.

    Larry

  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I decided to purchase the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro Lens from B&H as it is fully compatible. I'm going to sell the D200 and the Tokina lens.
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/806375-REG/Sigma_258306_105mm_f_2_8_EX_DG.html

  • BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I think you will be happy with the approx. 100mm lens. I have the Canon equivalent for my T3i and for everything but really closeup macro segments it's a good choice.

    -----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Ok I played around with the Tokina lens.

  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @coinJP said:
    I decided to purchase the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro Lens from B&H as it is fully compatible. I'm going to sell the D200 and the Tokina lens.
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/806375-REG/Sigma_258306_105mm_f_2_8_EX_DG.html

    looks virtually identical to what i used with a d90. :+1:

    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    image

    <--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @LanceNewmanOCC said:

    @coinJP said:
    I decided to purchase the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro Lens from B&H as it is fully compatible. I'm going to sell the D200 and the Tokina lens.
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/806375-REG/Sigma_258306_105mm_f_2_8_EX_DG.html

    looks virtually identical to what i used with a d90. :+1:

    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    image

    Nice pics!

  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @coinJP said:
    Nice pics!

    .
    thanks. even at the point i was taking images like those, without question, i was unworthy of the d90 and sigma macro. i knew a fair bit but once i got it dialed in to take good pics, i just milked it and only tried to improve/learn the minimal amount; granted getting to that point nearly killed me!!! so i prob didn't have a lot of patience/energy left over. ;)

    it was so quick and easy at that point, it was just plain shameful.

    <--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file