2»

Comments

• ChevyroseChevyrose Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

Though cac stickers help in selling

A 69 is a 69 gold bean or green bean until a grading company reholders it

@winesteven said:

@Chevyrose said:
    Yeah he’ll go down as the Lincoln King forever. Really missing talking to him every other day. Life hasn’t been the same since.

RIP Stu

Some of you may not know this, but the #1 Current Indian Head Cent Set (55 coin Basic Set) is Stewart’s. It’s a phenomenally gorgeous set! @DMWJR ‘s set is right there with his. And they both top the charts for Flying Eagle Cents too. They are the Kings of those earlier cent sets!

Steve

Makes me wonder where the “golden princess” will end up?

Or the 1856 FE, which in stews opinion was the nicest he’d ever seen

• david3142david3142 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Chevyrose said:
    I like to think stew found the best Lincoln’s of all time
    I don’t think there is an ms70 wheat cent in existence
    Or a 1926s in 66 rd

It’s probable that coins from this sale, in the next 20-30 years will be the first million dollar Lincolns

The 1943-D Bronze cent sold for $1.7M although that wasn’t a regular issue coin.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@david3142 said:

@Chevyrose said:
    Or a 1926s in 66 rd

It’s probable that coins from this sale, in the next 20-30 years will be the first million dollar Lincolns

The 1943-D Bronze cent sold for $1.7M although that wasn’t a regular issue coin.

How would you define a “regular issue” coin? How minor of an error may a coin be and still be considered a “regular issue”?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Chevyrose said:

And in 20-30 years how many of these coins will now be RB???? RD is not forever........ Some are already RB!

OINK

• CuprinkorCuprinkor Posts: 238 ✭✭✭

Trying to access auction archives for Stewart's Lincolns, but, alas, they're not available at this time Sunday night.

Normally, prices realized would be accessible by now.

• scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

1919 sold for $421k with bp.

• WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 852 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2023 9:52PM

@OldIndianNutKase said:

@Chevyrose said:

And in 20-30 years how many of these coins will now be RB???? RD is not forever........ Some are already RB!

OINK

Why do you say that. If the coins are carefully preserved away from a wet environment and are in stable older holders they can last a 100 or more years as long as they are not stored in a wet humid environment. I think plastic coin protectors will seal out even more air. I use them and store my coins in a wooden chest, A lot of this deterioration happens extremely rarely to coins most often abused by their owners and a wet environment.. How did red coins exist for the last 150 years intact if they deteriorate so quickly. From 1860-1986 there were NO TPG protective holder There would be none for us left!! And this was before TPG HOLDERS

There is too much exaggerated fear spread.![]

(https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/6i/va12qaew3doz.jpeg "")

• david3142david3142 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@david3142 said:

@Chevyrose said:
    Or a 1926s in 66 rd

How would you define a “regular issue” coin? How minor of an error may a coin be and still be considered a “regular issue”?

I didn’t think especially carefully about the words I used there but it seemed obvious to me that the 43-D could be considered a special case as opposed to a finest known non-error, non-variety coin. I’m not sure how I would classify the 22 Plain or the 1955 DD but even though there are a fair number of them they also seem like perhaps a separate category. I guess I would say “regular issue” means no noticeable error or variety. If the grading service doesn’t note it and it is treated like any other coin from that year/mint except for the grade/color.

What did Stewart's 14-S, 23-S, 24-S, 25-S, 27-S, & 28-S Lincolns sell for?

• ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@david3142 said:

@Chevyrose said:
    Or a 1926s in 66 rd

A non-error coin?

:smile:

@Cuprinkor said:
    Trying to access auction archives for Stewart's Lincolns, but, alas, they're not available at this time Sunday night.

Normally, prices realized would be accessible by now.

They are available almost instantly after the auction ends.

The Red Copper Collection Page with prices realized.

If you had any on your watchlist - they would appear instantly with the prices realized - as well as the listing page.

• Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values

Thanks.
    I think I figured it out by seeing what the ranges are by date in the archives write-ups for the dates being checked on. The top prices are probably Stewart's examples.

A watchlist? I never use it.

Oh yeah. Did I mention that I'm a little slow??

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2023 10:09PM

@david3142 said:

@Chevyrose said:
    Or a 1926s in 66 rd

As for rare Lincolns, I'm very curious to see how this one does!

It's uniface sibling recently sold for almost $20k and the Blay's coin is already more than double! And I just found out that this also sold on Great Collections a while back!

@Byers Did you pick up this coin in the GC sale???

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man….that’s gotta be the most money I’ve ever seen copper go for! Congrats to Ian and the gang, and of course, Mr Blay.

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2023 10:10PM

@Walkerlover said:

@OldIndianNutKase said:

@Chevyrose said:

OINK

Why do you say that. If the coins are carefully preserved away from a wet environment and are in stable older holders they can last a 100 or more years as long as they are not stored in a wet humid environment. I think plastic coin protectors will seal out even more air. I use them and store my coins in a wooden chest, A lot of this deterioration happens extremely rarely to coins most often abused by their owners and a wet environment.. How did red coins exist for the last 150 years intact if they deteriorate so quickly. From 1860-1986 there were NO TPG protective holder There would be none for us left!! And this was before TPG HOLDERS

I do not think that coins have ever been stored in wet and humid environments, even before TPG's were encapsulating them. Coins tone because the copper tin alloy reacts with air which is 80% nitrogen and 20% oxygen plus some man made pollutants. Ammonia will definitely create a reaction with copper, and ammonia was a commonly used cleaning agent before 1960 +/-. The plastic slabs have improved the deterioration, but they too are permeable and the air inside the slabs will be in harmony with the air surrounding them, namely owygen and nitrogen. To preserve the RD one would need to store the coins in an inert gas such as argon, and that gas should be above atmospheric pressure.

When you look at coins that are RD and 100 years old, that red color is not the color they had when they left the mint. So, there is a constant progression of toning over time. Interesting that gold does not change much, even with 10% copper content, because it is not reactive like copper or silver.

And most old copper has been dipped at some point in time to maintain it's original color.....somewhat.

OINK

• ByersByers Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins

Yes I purchased it out of the GC auction for $5,175. and was the consignor in the HA Auction where it realized $19,200.

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 852 ✭✭✭✭

@OldIndianNutKase said:

@Walkerlover said:

@OldIndianNutKase said:

@Chevyrose said:

OINK

I do not think that coins have ever been stored in wet and humid environments, even before TPG's were encapsulating them. Coins tone because the copper tin alloy reacts with air which is 80% nitrogen and 20% oxygen plus some man made pollutants. Ammonia will definitely create a reaction with copper, and ammonia was a commonly used cleaning agent before 1960 +/-. The plastic slabs have improved the deterioration, but they too are permeable and the air inside the slabs will be in harmony with the air surrounding them, namely owygen and nitrogen. To preserve the RD one would need to store the coins in an inert gas such as argon, and that gas should be above atmospheric pressure.

When you look at coins that are RD and 100 years old, that red color is not the color they had when they left the mint. So, there is a constant progression of toning over time. Interesting that gold does not change much, even with 10% copper content, because it is not reactive like copper or silver.

And most old copper has been dipped at some point in time to maintain it's original color.....somewhat.

OINK

Interesting to learn from you. I thought copper couldn’t be dipped without ruining the coin. I encase the coin with a plastic sealable scratch protector to reduce exposure to the outside air. Wouldn’t that great protect the coin?

@OldIndianNutKase said:

@Chevyrose said:

OINK

I just bought a 114 year old coin designated RD

It’s still RD

Oink

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great. Now I'll be getting calls in the shop from non collectors who have a 1919 cent worth over a hundred grand.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file