Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

My latest world regular grades are in!

neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 26, 2022 5:20PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

https://www.pcgs.com/shared-orders/order-details/22895564

This ended up being my voucher sub for the year, and it got returned to my house in 48 business days after being received. I'll share my results and a little bit about each coin.

Let's talk the coins:

1. 1771 Mexico City 8 Reales - AU - Cleaned
    This was a coin that I submitted in preparation for listing it on ebay. I bought it thinking it was an XF with an old cleaning that might be market acceptable. PCGS pegged it as AU cleaned, which more or less agrees with my assessment. I think it's likely worth what I have in it, so no dramas here.

2. 1909-A Germany Empire 1 Mark Proof, PR66CAM
    This was a coin that I thought had the potential to fit into my German Empire proof type set, so I went ahead and got it graded. The trueviews make it look more hairlined and less flashy than it is in hand, but I can deal with it. It will supplant my 64DCAM that I previously had in my type set. I had it as a 65 or 66, and it came in at 66 so I am happy with the grade. 66 is a very solid grade for this type. A 67 would be suitable for top type sets, with 68 being exceptional.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/alltimeset/311725

3. 1952-D Germany 5 Mark, Deutsches Museum Commemorative, MS64
    This is the first of the modern Germany 5 Mark commemoratives. It's the lowest mintage and the most valuable but not particularly rare. Nonetheless, it's a $400-500 coin at MS64. I was expecting 64, so I am happy with it. My long-term plan is to eventually get all of my 5 Mark commemoratives to a grade that is worth grading and put them on the registry.

4. 1874-F German Empire 5 Pfennig Proof, PR63
    This is another coin for my German Empire proof type set. It is a fairly rare type. acsearch.info searches yield <10 auction records of the type over the same number of years. It's not super high grade, but it has the flash and the cameo to be impressive enough in hand to really stand out over a business trike. This is a key factor to me in collecting these proofs. Since there are really no historical mint records documenting the mintages or the methods of manufacture for proofs, attributing proofs can sometimes be difficult. It can be hard to tell if something is truly a proof or just an early strike. PCGS (and NGC to a lesser extent) has attributed a handful of proofs from this era, and they aren't all clearly proof. This at least has the look, yet the presence of things like die polish do make you wonder.

5. 1890-A German Empire 20 Pfennig Proof, PR66
    This is another really rare proof issue. It's comparatively more common than the 5 Pfennig small eagle, but a similar search result would still yield <20 examples over the past 10 years. It's probably the most rare of the large eagle proof types. Slightly rarer than the 50 Pfennig large eagle type. This one is at least above the 50th percentile of the examples that exist. It's hard to say much more than that based on old auction photos and having never seen another one in person.

6 & 7. 1955-G Germany 5 Mark, Von Baden Commemorative, MS65 & MS66
I had two of the Von Baden 5 Mark commemoratives raw in my collection. This is another of the "first 4" rarer Germany commemorative 5 Marks. The first 4 are all over $150 dolars, when the remaining ~40 commemoratives in the series are all under $20. I decided to send both of these in to help me decide which to keep and to aid in selling the one that I didn't want to keep. The MS65 example has very pleasant toning, but the overall luster isn't quite as strong as on the MS66 example. The MS66 example also has a little bit of cameo, which is something I look for on these. I'm happy with the result and will keep the 66.

1. 1929 Weimar Republic 3 Mark Lessing Commemorative
    I sent this coin in because I thought it had a solid chance of being an upgrade to my current MS64 example in my type set. This one was a moderate disappointment because it graded 64 instead of 65. This one will go onto the chopping block and hit ebay as well.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
"Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

Comments

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice! Congratulations! 👍

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice grades and thanks for your thoughts on them

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow:

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terrific coins - nice results with an excellent write up

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for giving us a tour of your sub. I don’t know much about these coins so it was very helpful.

• Beautiful proof 1 Mark. I look forward to your continued completion of your German Empire Type Set as it may slow the upgrading of your GERMAN 5 MARK BASIC SET, CIRCULATION STRIKES (1951-1974) set and allow others to catch up a bit!!!
    B)

• neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ColonelKlinck said:
    Beautiful proof 1 Mark. I look forward to your continued completion of your German Empire Type Set as it may slow the upgrading of your GERMAN 5 MARK BASIC SET, CIRCULATION STRIKES (1951-1974) set and allow others to catch up a bit!!!
    B)

The upgrades are definitely getting more and more infrequent. I think that's a natural consequence of a set slowly getting better. I think I still managed to make 10-15 upgrades in 2022. I'd be happy with half that in 2023.

I've historically taken an approach to working on 5-10 sets at once of varying price levels and rarity so that there's always something for me to shop for regardless of the state of my budget. The byproduct of that is that I am very slow to finish any one thing. It was really a gamechanger for me when I decided to focus more on my 5 Marks a few years ago because I really saw the kind of tangible progress I could make if I focused more of my energy on a single set that fits within my budget.

The 1/2 Mark set is the one that's getting the most attention these days, as it is a very attractive and affordable set (apart from the key). I'm still >12 months out from getting close to complete on it. I'll probably be able to get to 75% complete in 2023 if I decide to continue to focus on it. https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/germany/german-empire/german-1-2-mark-basic-set-circulation-strikes-1905-1919/alltimeset/311722

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me