Options

Postcard Question

Not sure what the correct forum is, so I'm posting here:

What type of car is on this card?

Comments

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 23, 2022 5:43AM

A good clue is what building and where is the pic taken.

Well I clicked on pic

Bangor Maine public library 1950's

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 23, 2022 8:03AM

That's in my neck of the woods. Lived there a couple times. Few years while the ol' man was finishing up his career in the Navy and moved back for a short time few years after he retired.

The car I wish I could help. Doesn't appear to be one of the boats of that time so compact car. Looking over images online and haven't spotted anything that looks like it yet. Possibly a foreign car?

I'll keep looking and see if I can figure it out or hopefully someone here knows what it is.

Edited to add:

Think I got it.

Looks like either 1959 or 1960 Henney Kilowatt.

• Options
    OneDaysRideOneDaysRide Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited December 23, 2022 8:33AM

Looks like a 1960's Renault Dauphine ...

Edit: The 1960 Henney Kilowatt, in the post above, used the Renault Dauphine platform. The 1960 Henney Kilowatt was an experimental electric, built in Bloomington IL/Canastota, NY, of which only 47 were sold, with fewer than 15 to the general public. Highly unlikely it's a Kilowatt in Bangor ME

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jay0791 said:
    A good clue is what building and where is the pic taken.

Well I clicked on pic

Bangor Maine public library 1950's

Ah, yes, sorry. Didn't realize it was that old.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OneDaysRide said:
    Looks like a 1960's Renault Dauphine ...

Edit: The 1960 Henney Kilowatt, in the post above, used the Renault Dauphine platform. The 1960 Henney Kilowatt was an experimental electric, built in Bloomington IL/Canastota, NY, of which only 47 were sold, with fewer than 15 to the general public. Highly unlikely it's a Kilowatt in Bangor ME

Thank you.

• Options
    SpawnfreekSpawnfreek Posts: 68 ✭✭✭

Two clues; location of antenna, rear of left front fender, and front bumper, both match the 1960 Henley Kilowatt. New York IS only a stone's throw from Maine. :)

• Options
    OneDaysRideOneDaysRide Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

@Spawnfreek said:
    Two clues; location of antenna, rear of left front fender, and front bumper, both match the 1960 Henley Kilowatt. New York IS only a stone's throw from Maine. :)

While only a stone's throw away (10 hours), both the antenna and bumpers match the 1960 Dauphine ad below.

Another clue: The front fender name badge on the postcard seems to match the Dauphine's single case straight line, rather than the Kilo Watt's staggered name separated by a lightning bolt. One of 15 rare cars or one of 100,000 Dauphine's sold in the US in 1960? You decide :smile: