Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

How might this have happened?

I’m “new-ish” to collecting US currency, and while the majority of what I look for is unique serial numbers, I do not know how to identify varieties or errors, yet, though I’m very interested in learning how they occur in the printing process, or even after they enter circulation. That being said, what could be the cause of this effect?

Comments

• @Steve_in_Tampa. That is an interesting explanation. First off, what does BEP stand for? Also, do you think that from the fold, that the other seal would have rubbed off on the district seal side? I can see remnants of the green seal and the “E” near it. Don’t most solvents dry relatively quickly after application?

• Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

BEP is the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. Most solvents like acetone and lacquer thinner evaporate quickly but some like mineral spirits take a little longer. And, the inks used, (black and green), react differently to the various solvents. It also might have been a petroleum based solvent that take forever to dissipate. Have you tried smelling the area ?

• wozymodowozymodo Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    edited December 23, 2022 2:49PM

Possibly folded to hold illicit drugs. :o

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO ...It looks fake.

• Ted 1Ted 1 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭

Send it to PMG.

Tough CA Nationals &
    Lowball Sacagawea Dollars (PO01-VF35)

--- SUCCESSFUL BST TRANSACTIONS ---
    braddick, Omegaraptor, JWP, EagleScout2017, OAKSTAR, Twobitcollector, boxerdad, OKCC, Fancycashcom, JimW, MWallace, Tookybandit, TeacherCollector, jeffas1974, mainejoe, kansasman, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Soldi, Histman, CurrenSee, jclovescoins, Outhaul, Timbuk3, LEMONHEAD_PENNY, daverickey, Maxcrusha, RedSeals
  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would agree that it doesn't resemble a real error and this is a faked error. I'd call it a "deliberate smudge offset transfer".

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • As much as we ask & as much as we share, it really all comes down to the guys over there.
    When there is not another around to be found you almost can be sure its a dud. Get a few books on errors you can get them book form or PDF.
    Join PCG or just sign up its free. Then spend some time here on the boards it will start to become easier as you find notes then try to verify them. I list the note first minus the error in a search bar then try to find my error on other notes. Some info sticks some won't but owning in hand changes everything as well as the gained knowledge
    about that note or type of error.
    With the strength of Drugs these days my rule is if it is on a note and didn't get printed on, its gone back to circulation period.

• @Steve_in_Tampa. I don’t notice any difference between the way this bill smells and any other bill. I was a Sous Chef for nearly 20 years, so I’m pretty sure I’d be able to pick up on subtle hints of any petroleum based solvents since those oily notes tend to stick around long after the initial drying has occurred. I do find it interesting that none of the ink on the reverse side of the bill has bled through either though, but I assume that’s because it is entirely different ink like you were saying?