Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Educational Note $1 Silver Certificate

A fellow collector recently upgraded one of his notes and offered me the one he previously had. I couldn't say no. This note has been on my list since I started collecting paper currency. Its a beautiful note looking much better than the XF40. It does have a minor repair which made the price a little nicer.

What can we say...

The obverse of these notes depict a neoclassical allegorical motif, with the $1 representing history instructing youth. The motifs are representations of the theme written on the note. The back contained of each note has the profiles of two American figures set against an ornate background.

Denominations of $1, $2, and $5 were produced. In addition to $1, $2 and $5 notes denominations of $10, $20, $50, $100, $500 and $1000 were also planned. Designs for a $10 and $50 denomination were being prepared but were never completed or produced before the series was abandoned and replaced by the series of 1899.

The term "Educational" is derived from the title of the vignette on the $1 note, ''History Instructing Youth.''

The note:

Comments

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful note Helder.

My analogy concerning expensive, iconic large size notes interpreted by a sports reporter covering a World Cup game. A Win would be equivalent to owning a beautiful, original paper XF or better example. A Tie would be equivalent to owning a Winning note except for comments like repaired, rust, stains, edge tear, minor restoration etc. It’s not a Win, but at least you have one. A Loss would be equivalent to not having an example. Finding an unmolested example in XF or better is not hard, but brace yourself, they’re expensive.

My former example

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not a paper currency collector and thus remain relatively uninformed on a lot of types of our nation's past currency notes, but I'm familiar enough with the Educational series that I will say that I think they're the absolute pinnacle of design when it comes to US currency.

The five, with its scantily-clad personification of Electricity holding her bulb aloft, is my favorite. (And not just because she's displaying her other... umm... assets. LOL)

(Pic borrowed from Wikipedia.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the notes

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very eye-appealing note. I can't even tell where it has been repaired.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    A very eye-appealing note. I can't even tell where it has been repaired.

Me too! Very nice addition!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome note! Another on my bucket list. 👍

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like that note!

• Options
    tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭

Blessed to have this in my collection