Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1973 Baseball Uncut Sheet Question

PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 21, 2022 9:55AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Prior to 1973, it is well known that checklists appeared on the uncut sheet corresponding to both their series and the previous series. For example, in 1972, the series 2 checklist appeared both on the 1st and 2nd series sheets. That is why the 1972 set has 787 cards instead of 792.

I saw this 1973 cello pack on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195421869220

It shows a 1st series card on top, and the 2nd series checklist on the back. I find myself confused as to how this is possible in a set with five 132 card series. I have found images of two different types of 1973 1st series sheets. One has the entire 1st series appearing exactly once, and the other has half the series repeated twice. In both cases it seems impossible to have a 2nd series checklist on such a sheet without another card being displaced. Anyone know how a pack like this can exist?

Or are there cello packs containing both 1st and 2nd series cards?

Comments

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe it is an ALL series Cello pack then.
    Those exist as well like the wax.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

@handyman said:

@jmoran19 also mentioned on Facebook that there exist cello packs containing half 1st and half 2nd series cards.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 21, 2022 6:50PM

Series 1/2 wax packs are a known mixed series pack and Topps also produced all series cellos in 73 which featured cards from all series within..unlike all series wax packs, though, there's no special wrapper graphic to signify that for cellos. My bet in this particular case is on the latter.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:

@handyman said:

@jmoran19 also mentioned on Facebook that there exist cello packs containing half 1st and half 2nd series cards.

I don't think it's half and half, because iirc a 73 cello is broken down into three 'sub-sections' and they don't intermingle. So you end up with 2/3 of the pack from one series and the other 1/3 from the opposite series. I think 73s were 30 or 33 cards? So 20/22 of one series and 10/11 cards of the other series.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@baz518 said:

@PaulMaul said:

@handyman said:

I don't think it's half and half, because iirc a 73 cello is broken down into three 'sub-sections' and they don't intermingle. So you end up with 2/3 of the pack from one series and the other 1/3 from the opposite series. I think 73s were 30 or 33 cards? So 20/22 of one series and 10/11 cards of the other series.

27 cards in a 73 cello...7 cards on top of the gum and 20 cards behind it.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    edited December 23, 2022 5:27PM

@PaulMaul said:

@handyman said:

I actually implied 1/2 series 1 and 1/2 series 2 in wax packs not cello packs

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2022 9:41AM

Does anyone have an explanation on why some corner cards on the sheets are ultra tough while others are simple to find centered and high grade? The Red Sox coaches and All Time HR Leader cards are tough in high grade. But the Gladding that's in the same spot as the Red Sox coaches in the alternate version of the sheet is quite easy to find in high grade.