Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Does anyone here collect coins from Great Britain (pictures added)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited December 22, 2022 8:49PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I have a whole bunch of 1800's one Penny's along with other denominations. I would like to post them to see what they are worth. If this is not acceptable please let me know.
I have about 1000 world coins from the 1800's up to 1950. Some I am keeping for myself and others I will sell or trade.
Please let me know your country of interest. At the very least I can post images to share.

Comments

• Options

I don't see any problem with posting pics a few at a time for folks here to weigh in on their values (or at least approximate).

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed. Certainly a few to help, just don't put up too much dross or too much at one time. Also don't forget that what was common then is common now most likely - can you filter it just a bit?

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

I'll take some images of a few of the better dates. I have 30 or so from the 1800's. Mostly penny's but a few better denominations.

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

Best to research them a bit and then post the higher quality or the more scarce issues. Oddities - errors and varieties as well. Have fun with it and take good high resolution photos. Plenty people here will give you an opinion.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Expect to be disappointed. Many circulated foreign coins end up being sold by the pound. Post photos of older coins in high grade. These are the ones most likely to have some value. Don't post coins that are damaged as few have any value.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2022 8:49PM

I have about 40 coins from Great Britain, but also some silver. It's not about greed. It's about collecting and trading. I'll sell them but I would much rather trade for U.S. coinage. Regardless I hope you enjoy these.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like British coins.
    This is one of my favorites:

• Options
    edited December 24, 2022 5:24AM

That's a beautiful coin Asheland!

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

WT, the best of the bunch is the 1869 farthing but you'll not be able to retire on that. The rest are semi-dross, sad to say....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:
    I like British coins.

That may loom familiar to me.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 25, 2022 4:31PM

You can look them up yourself using numista.com .
    This would save you the time and effort of taking and posting photos.

For example, the two Straits Settlements 10 cents.
    Under numista.com click on Coins in the upper left which yields a list of countries:
    https://en.numista.com/catalogue/index.php?ct=coin
    For these you need to know that this is modern day Malaysia (a quick search on google would tell you this).
    Malaysia, then British Malaysia, then "See sub-sections" and Straits Settlements.
    This yields a list by denomination and date:
    https://en.numista.com/catalogue/straits-1.html
    Your coins are 10 cents 1891 and 1894, so click on 10 Cents - Victoria 1871-1901.
    This yields:
    https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces11570.html
    It shows that 1891 and 1894 are 80% silver (.800) and are fairly high mintage years, so these are not rare.
    For 1894 it shows $5.10 for grades F and VF based on internet sales (probably on ebay).
    Your coins are roughly in those grades, so they might sell for around $5 each on ebay.

• Options

@Watchtower said:
    That's a beautiful coin Asheland!

Thank you!

• Options

@ajaan said:

@asheland said:
    I like British coins.

That may loom familiar to me.

Michael has the cartwheel penny, and I believe he got it from you.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

I have around 30 more but I don't have time right now but I will soon.

• Options

I think Great Britain coins are cool.