Home Sports Talk
Options

How good is this Joe Burrow?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Skip Bayless has said before that he thinks Joe Burrow could be the next Tom Brady, and he tweeted this out last night:

"Joe Burrow, closest to Brady of the young-gun quarterbacks. Extraordinary vision. Effortless velocity. Arrogantly deadly accuracy."

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

He is great but I'd still take Mahomes and Allen over him

• Options

@perkdog said:
    He is great but I'd still take Mahomes and Allen over him

Same here, I think Skip is a little crazy for suggesting that he could be the next Brady, those are some awfully big shoes to fill.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL, he will be around the 12th best qb in terms of qbr and qb rating year to year. Not bad, but never top 5. Cincy can win with that if the rest of the team is very strong.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:
    LOL, he will be around the 12th best qb in terms of qbr and qb rating year to year. Not bad, but never top 5. Cincy can win with that if the rest of the team is very strong.

Burrow does very well in passer rating but not as well in QBR.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

He's very good and getting better.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think he's the best QB in the league. Was a couple plays short of winning the SB last year.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:
    I think he's the best QB in the league. Was a couple plays short of winning the SB last year.

He was the best QB in college too, at LSU.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s an exciting time for QB’s in the AFC.
    Mahomes
    Allen
    Burrow
    Herbert
    Watson
    Jackson
    Lawrence

NFC kinda has the old guard fading and a few prospects
    Brady
    Rodgers
    Stafford

Young-ens
    Hurts
    Fields
    Jones??

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

He sure is improving year after year. if this trajectory continues for a few more seasons, it may be true. He does seem to have the "it" quality.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

Burrow has the look of a guy who will not go his entire career without winning a Super Bowl

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:

@coolstanley said:

He was the best QB in college too, at LSU.

Yep, that Ohio Guy won them a natty ;)

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said: Burrow has the look of a guy who will not go his entire career without winning a Super Bowl.

His team may win multiple Super Bowls but the window for that stuff is so narrow and closes so fast that opportunities can't be squandered. Despite looking good at certain times this season the Bengals haven't looked overpowering. I keep thinking of two recent QB's who were supposed to lead their teams to the promised land and establish dynasties: Russell Wilson and Patrick Mahomes.

• Options

@Maywood said:
    I keep thinking of two recent QB's who were supposed to lead their teams to the promised land and establish dynasties: Russell Wilson and Patrick Mahomes.

You can throw Aaron Rodgers in there as well

• Options

Yes, yes, yes, wonderfully good during the regular season and woefully lacking in the post-season.

• Options

@Maywood said:
    @galaxy27 said: Burrow has the look of a guy who will not go his entire career without winning a Super Bowl.

His team may win multiple Super Bowls but the window for that stuff is so narrow and closes so fast that opportunities can't be squandered. Despite looking good at certain times this season the Bengals haven't looked overpowering. I keep thinking of two recent QB's who were supposed to lead their teams to the promised land and establish dynasties: Russell Wilson and Patrick Mahomes.

i never said a word about multiple SBs or a dynasty. i simply said it would not look out of place for him to be hoisting the Lombardi at some point in his career. i didn't think much of him at first, but his play passes the eye test now. he's 8th in QBR this season..........that's not terrible.

and as for the Bengals, idk why you keep knocking a team that has won 8 out of their last 9. i guess i failed to get the memo that winning games is not what it's ultimately all about?

• Options

@Maywood said:

Tough crowd.
    I’ve been critical of mahomes lately but even I can appreciate what he’s accomplished.
    QB for 5 years, 5 AFC west titles.
    If the Chiefs go to the AFC title game that will also be 5 in a row.
    2 super bowl appearances with 1 win.
    Possibly his second MVP this year.
    He is 27 years old.
    Possibly a little soon to be writing him off?

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options

Count, good article.
    I remember before the season the media and poster’s here were saying mahomes couldn’t possibly be as good without Tyreek.
    Well the numbers are in, he’s better😅

I had never heard that quote from Keenan Allen before, guess he’s eating those words because he was clearly talking about mahomes.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options

Memo to @galaxy27: It isn't about winning games, it's about winning THE game. And you're correct, I'm the one who mentioned multiple Super Bowls and Dynasties. I simply used it as a way to segue into mentioning Russell Wilson. And just so there's no confusion with you or anyone else I mentioned Mahomes because he's sort of the standard right now that all QB's are measured against and he may have already had his run despite all the accomplishments mentioned by @Darin. Keeping a team together as long as the Chiefs have is difficult, key players get injured, players get older and retire or choose Free Agency, Coaches get offers and move on, the rest of the NFL catches up to you.

• Options
    edited December 22, 2022 1:10PM

@Maywood well, we have yet to get to THE game this season. but in order to even get to it, you must win a slew of games first. which is EXACTLY what Cincinnati is doing, but apparently the way they are doing it doesn't suit your palate. could that be because you're a fan of the intrastate rival, thus incapable of being impartial in your analysis? seriously, what's not to like about 8 out of 9? if that's no good, then what do you have to say for every other team in the NFL?

and as far as Mahomes' run being over is concerned, what on earth are we talking about here? 😂 dude is #1 in QBR this season by a wide margin and his team is tied for the top spot in the AFC.

are we following the same league?

• Options

Nothing I say will satisfy you unless I agree with everything you say. Have fun.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    @Maywood well, we have yet to get to THE game this season. but in order to even get to it, you must win a slew of games first. which is EXACTLY what Cincinnati is doing, but apparently the way they are doing it doesn't suit your palate. could that be because you're a fan of the intrastate rival, thus incapable of being impartial in your analysis? seriously, what's not to like about 8 out of 9? if that's no good, then what do you have to say for every other team in the NFL?

and as far as Mahomes' run being over is concerned, what on earth are we talking about here? 😂 dude is #1 in QBR this season by a wide margin and his team is tied for the top spot in the AFC.

are we following the same league?

100%

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Maywood said:
    I keep thinking of two recent QB's who were supposed to lead their teams to the promised land and establish dynasties: Russell Wilson and Patrick Mahomes.

Yes, that's probably because Rodgers spent most of his career watching dad win Super Bowls.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@Maywood said:

Yes, that's probably because Rodgers spent most of his career watching dad win Super Bowls.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maywood said:
    Nothing I say will satisfy you unless I agree with everything you say. Have fun.

To be fair, you said that Mahomes "may have already had his run" when:

• his team is in first place at 11-3
    • he's leading the NFL in yards, TDs, and QBR
    • his completion % is the highest of his career
    • his yards per game is the highest of his career
    • his team is #1 in scoring

You're gonna get pushback if you suggest that the guy who is clearly the QB having the best season is somehow past it or declining.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

I didn't like Burrow at first and thought he lacked athleticism. Have to admit, he has proven me wrong so far. I also didn't like Josh Allen and look what he has done (top 5 QB). The 2020 QB draft class looks very promising, Herbert, Hurts, Burrow, Tua. I still think running/mobile QBs have a short shelf life but Herbert, Burrow, and Tua are all pocket passers so will be interesting to see how all their careers pan out. Seems like they will be giving Mahomes & Allen a run for their money once the old guard (Brady,Rodgers) retire. I also think Trevor Lawrence will be part of the best young QBs conversation soon.

An exciting time for the NFL as the legendary QBs all fade and the young guns come into their prime.

Robb

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

As for Mahomes, he is the best QB in the NFL after losing arguably the best wide receiver in football (or at worst 1B behind Jefferson). He is doing what the truly great QBs do, elevating his wide receivers. Hopefully, the Chiefs make the same realization the Pats did, which is don't waste money on WRs when you have an all time great QB. Invest in the rest of the team (O line & defense).

Robb