Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How does bidding work over at Stack's Bowers?

PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 18, 2022 5:37PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Never bid there before but signed up to do so this week. I placed some bids on a few items and now do not know what to expect at the end. I am use to Heritage were there is a live auction once items close so I know when to follow my items and bid.

What about Stack's how does the auctions close? Are there live stream sessions like at HA or extended bidding? If there is a live session how do I watch the auction. Or do the items simply close on highest bid entered prior to lots closing?

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

Comments

  • Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

    They have live sessions as well. Watch the live auctions on the app on your phone. Very easy to bid.

  • Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I don’t see any difference between ha and sb as far as bidding concerned. You can bid live online.

  • Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jt88 said:
    I don’t see any difference between ha and sb as far as bidding concerned. You can bid live online.

    It was the ending I was concerned about was not sure if I could follow the auction live like HA. Then lot to lot till I get to those I bid on then bid again is necessary.

    Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

    Sports: NFL & NHL

  • Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @KingOfMorganDollar said:

    @jt88 said:
    I don’t see any difference between ha and sb as far as bidding concerned. You can bid live online.

    It was the ending I was concerned about was not sure if I could follow the auction live like HA. Then lot to lot till I get to those I bid on then bid again is necessary.

    Last time I bid in a stacks auction, I was able to bid live.

  • Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @KingOfMorganDollar said:

    @jt88 said:
    I don’t see any difference between ha and sb as far as bidding concerned. You can bid live online.

    It was the ending I was concerned about was not sure if I could follow the auction live like HA. Then lot to lot till I get to those I bid on then bid again is necessary.

    You can put in a nuclear bid or you can put in a high bid then bid again on live auction if you are outbid in live auction. I did that all the time.

  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I just bid with Stack's for the first time earlier this week. I first placed a bid a week ahead of the auction (which was soon outbid), and then followed the auction live. I think it went a little bit slower than Heritage's live auctions, but it was comparable. I had the live auction open on my computer and phone (they have an app--no bidding on their website from a phone) and both made it very clear how to bid and whether I was winning. As soon as the lot closed it changed to show me that I won and they'd contact me at the end of the auction to arrange for payment. Overall, a very good experience.

    A few other notes if they help...

    1- The phone app always shows the button for a cut bid, but it's disabled when the auction is below the value where they're allowed. On the website, the button doesn't even appear until it's an option. If you're looking for it, this could be why you don't see it.

    2- Stack's was very responsive to my emailing questions. I asked about picking up my item in person, and they quickly arranged for it to be sent to that office so I can get it.

    3- All of this was for an internet-only auction, but I imagine in-person auctions are no different except bids are also accepted on the floor. I haven't noticed a different with live bidding at Heritage when it's in-person or internet-only, and assume the same for Stack's.

    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I've bid live a few times, never with any problems. Most recently was last month when I won two lots. I called them for wire instructions which I received immediately and received the coins a few weeks after the close due to the holiday.

    This was also the first time I had to bid on the phone app since I unexpectedly had to go into the office and can't bid from my work PC (firewall blocks it). I noticed no difference in the response time.

  • Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Thanks guys appreciate the help!!!

    Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

    Sports: NFL & NHL

  • Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 19, 2022 9:58AM

    Will be bidding using my PC since I don't own a cell phone (I know in this day and age but I simply don't need one).

    Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

    Sports: NFL & NHL

  • Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @KingOfMorganDollar, I have never owned a cell phone and suddenly feel a certain kinship with you!! B)

  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @KingOfMorganDollar said:
    Will be bidding using my PC since I don't own a cell phone (I know in this day and age but I simply don't need one).

     

    Take note of what @WCC said:

    ....I won two lots. I called them for wire instructions....

     
    Unlike Heritage, Stacks doesn't do e-check's. You can use a credit card but I believe the limit is around $2,500. +-    This isn't necessarily an issue, it's just something to be aware of.

  • Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @JohnnyCache said:
     
    Unlike Heritage, Stacks doesn't do e-check's. You can use a credit card but I believe the limit is around $2,500. +-    This isn't necessarily an issue, it's just something to be aware of.

    I didn't ask about e-checks, but the credit card limit is $2500, according to the person I spoke to on the phone. I believe this limit is also included in the T&C.

  • Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 19, 2022 6:37PM

    Thanks but most coins I buy are not 1000$ or more and I rarely ever buy 2 coins at the same time. Hopping to win one and if 2 then it will be a good day. But even 1 win will make my day.

    I spoke to them and had to provide references to have my buyer limit increased (it starts at 5000$) and I did so and all is OK so I am ready to go. Just in case one day I buy a ''big whale'' coin for my collection otherwise it will be of no use to me.

    Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

    Sports: NFL & NHL

  • Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 19, 2022 6:39PM

    @JohnnyCache said:

    @KingOfMorganDollar said:
    Will be bidding using my PC since I don't own a cell phone (I know in this day and age but I simply don't need one).

     

    Take note of what @WCC said:

    ....I won two lots. I called them for wire instructions....

     
    Unlike Heritage, Stacks doesn't do e-check's. You can use a credit card but I believe the limit is around $2,500. +-    This isn't necessarily an issue, it's just something to be aware of.

    So what is my payment option if I buy a coin of that value or higher at some point with Stack's? I never had an issue with HA paying with my credit card over 2500$ it was easy and any purchase arrived soon after within 2 weeks max.

    Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

    Sports: NFL & NHL

  • Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @KingOfMorganDollar said:

    @JohnnyCache said:

    @KingOfMorganDollar said:
    Will be bidding using my PC since I don't own a cell phone (I know in this day and age but I simply don't need one).

     

    Take note of what @WCC said:

    ....I won two lots. I called them for wire instructions....

     
    Unlike Heritage, Stacks doesn't do e-check's. You can use a credit card but I believe the limit is around $2,500. +-    This isn't necessarily an issue, it's just something to be aware of.

    So what is my payment option if I buy a coin of that value or higher at some point with Stack's? I never had an issue with HA paying with my credit card over 2500$ it was easy and any purchase arrived soon after within 2 weeks max.

    I paid by wire transfer, but I presume you can pay by paper check. I can't answer why the two differ.

  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 19, 2022 6:55PM

    @KingOfMorganDollar said:

    So what is my payment option if I buy a coin of that value or higher at some point with Stack's? I never had an issue with HA paying with my credit card over 2500$ it was easy and any purchase arrived soon after within 2 weeks max.

    Up to $2,500.00 credit card works fine

    Greater than > $2,500, Stacks would seek payment by Wire Transfer or physical check sent via mail.

    Via web
    Payments: 

    We accept payment by Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover or Paypal for invoices up to $2,500, with a maximum of $10,000 in any 30 day period.  

    Payments may be made by credit card, Paypal, Union Pay, check, wire transfer, money order and cashier’s check.

    All payments are subject to a clearing period. Checks drawn on U.S. banks will be subject to up to a 10 business day hold, and checks drawn on foreign banks will be subject to a 30 day hold.

  • Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 19, 2022 6:55PM

    Thanks. Will use wire transfer if ever it comes to that. Like I said it will be on very rare occasions but will happen from time to time.

    Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

    Sports: NFL & NHL

  • Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Maywood said:
    @KingOfMorganDollar, I have never owned a cell phone and suddenly feel a certain kinship with you!! B)

    Recently I watched an older movie, "The Magic of Belle Island." A quote from the character in the movie, Monte Wildhorn (Morgan Freeman) says it all. : )

    "Telephones are a damn nuisance. I've got no use for them. And them people on cell phones oughta be shot in the street."

  • Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 19, 2022 10:22PM

    Thanks. > @DisneyFan said:

    @Maywood said:
    @KingOfMorganDollar, I have never owned a cell phone and suddenly feel a certain kinship with you!! B)

    Recently I watched an older movie, "The Magic of Belle Island." A quote from the character in the movie, Monte Wildhorn (Morgan Freeman) says it all. : )

    "Telephones are a damn nuisance. I've got no use for them. And them people on cell phones oughta be shot in the street."

    I don't approve the shooting of anyone over a cell phone (I know it is meant as humor but just in case some see it otherwise) but the rest yes for me cell phones are of no use. But that is me and my life some people need them.

    I am old school even if I am still young enough just the way I am and it suits me fine.

    Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

    Sports: NFL & NHL

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file