edited December 18, 2022 1:58AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Notice the weight gain here……….

and the weight gain here…………..

26lbs for AO. 25lbs for BB.
Trust me, it ain’t body fat either. 😉

Comments

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whereas other good players don’t use “doctors” for the “weight gain”.

Rookie 2014

PEDs not only help you shoot and hit better, they help you do it much longer.

Sorry Wayne, your goal record is in danger from another “weight gainer”.

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 19, 2022 3:18PM

I’ve put on 20 lbs since 2005 as well, and can state unequivocally that I’m on neither the cream nor the clear.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^^ I resemble that statement!!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

How come every one of these players also got an inch taller? 🤔

• Options
    azvikeazvike Posts: 356 ✭✭✭
    edited December 18, 2022 2:26PM

FWIW...Vlad Guerrero was 165 lbs on his RC....ended career at 245 lbs....flame on...

• Options

@azvike said:
    FWIW...Vlad Guerrero was 165 lbs on his RC....ender at 245 lbs....flame on...

For real !

80lbs !

OMG

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this more Bobby Orr BS? is that why you are throwing stones from the sidelines?

Ovi came into the league with a Caveman's build and he will exit the league with the same Caveman's build.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

@GreenSneakers said:
    I’ve put on 20 lbs since 2005 as well, and can’t state unequivocally that I’m on neither the cream nor the clear.

20lbs since 2005. Stop that bragging! Hell I gained 20 during the first year of the Pandemic! >:)

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am 6’6 I can fluctuate 20 lbs in a given year one way or the other.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2022 2:56AM

@erba said:
    Check out this guy. Gained 20 pounds in 10 years! He was always dealing with injuries and trying to come back. You have to question what he was doing. Really makes you wonder!

You should do Vegas, and work for CNN also.

That was Orr’s weight at age 17/18.

Alex didnt make the NHL until age 20.

Thread is about 8&99, not 4.

• Options
    edited December 20, 2022 2:36AM

@Cakes said:
    Is this more Bobby Orr BS? is that why you are throwing stones from the sidelines?

If you read my first two posts, my exact words were “Sorry Wayne”.

How could you possibly confuse Wayne with Bobby ?

Wayne entered the league at 165.
    Left the league at 170.

My message was about 8 and 99.

How did you get so confused ?

Ovi came into the league with a Caveman's build and he will exit the league with the same Caveman's build.

• Options
    edited December 20, 2022 4:17AM

Like I said, this thread is about 8 and 99. Not #4.

If you take Alex back to age 18, when Orr and Gretzky entered the league, then he’s gained 38lbs. instead of 26lbs.

What did Gretzky gain ?

• Options

George Larocque is right.

PEDs are huge in the NHL now.

A lot of old records will be beaten by guys who can play better and longer because of PEDs.

If Gretzky added 38 lbs of muscle weight in his career the way 8 did he would have scored over 1000 goals.

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:

A lot of old records will be beaten by guys who can play better and longer because of PEDs.

If Gretzky added 38 lbs of muscle weight in his career the way 8 did he would have scored over 1000 goals.

Just another Bobby Orr thread spun a different way.

Just curious, where does Orr rank on the all time championships won list??

• Options
    edited December 20, 2022 10:16AM

@Goldenage said:

@Cakes said:

If you read my first two posts, my exact words were “Sorry Wayne”.

How could you possibly confuse Wayne with Bobby ?

Wayne entered the league at 165.
    Left the league at 170.

My message was about 8 and 99.

How did you get so confused ?

We have all been repeatedly confused with you lately. It seems like your love of Bobby Orr has clouded your judgement lately. For example you ask how did I get so confused, that your message was about 8 and 99 yet the title of the post is "The “great” 8 and Barry". Seems a little confusing to just about everyone.

• Options
    erbaerba Posts: 285 ✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:

@erba said:
    Check out this guy. Gained 20 pounds in 10 years! He was always dealing with injuries and trying to come back. You have to question what he was doing. Really makes you wonder!

Bobby Orr gained 20 pounds in a 10 year period while playing and that's ok. Ovechkin has played 18 years and gained 28 pounds.

Why is one ok and not the other?

Ray Bourque had a long career and gained 22 pounds over the course of his career. Was he on the juice?

• Options

@erba said:

@Goldenage said:

@erba said:

Bobby Orr gained 20 pounds in a 10 year period while playing and that's ok. Ovechkin has played 18 years and gained 28 pounds.

Ray Bourque had a long career and gained 22 pounds over the course of his career. Was he on the juice?

It's just odd, it's like steroids didn't exist in the days of Orr.

• Options

@erba said:

@Goldenage said:

@erba said:

8 gained 38lbs from age 18 till now.
    Orr and Bourque 20ish.

8 gained twice as much.

• Options

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:

@Goldenage said:

Just another Bobby Orr thread spun a different way.

Just curious, where does Orr rank on the all time championships won list??

• Options

My first two posts in this thread were about 8 and 99.

The instigators have jumped in.

I will reach out to Todd about people who take peoples threads and sabotage them.

Erba and swell are on that list.

I’m done here.

• Options

Fifteen pound weight gain in one year? Dang, you are onto something with the weight gains.

• Options
    erbaerba Posts: 285 ✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:

I will reach out to Todd about people who take peoples threads and sabotage them.

I’m done here.

Lol!

I'm bringing up legitimate examples of other player gaining weight and having long (and short) careers. It's called a discussion. I haven't made any personal insults or anything else towards you.

• Options

@GreenSneakers said:
    Tell you what. Let’s keep this thread to just Ovi and keep Orr out of it. The only reciprocal request is that you cannot bring up Orr in any other thread started by any other member. That’s fair. Agreed?

GreenSneakers, I think that's fair.

Goldenage, In all seriousness in the future I will try not to sabotage, it can ruin a discussion.

IMHO THIS THREAD IS SABOTAGING OVI!

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

If he is, he is doing it wrong. This photo is from 2021.

And this is Barry.

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

Forget Ovechkin's weight gain. I want to know if the size of his head increased like Barry's did.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm incredibly amused at the idea that sports card manufacturers weigh all the players every year to fill in that box on the cards.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fergie23 said:
    Goldenage, you don't seem to really know anything at all, "Trust me, it ain’t body fat either." Honestly, pretty typical for your hockey posts, or whatever this one was supposed to be. Look at the 2021 Ovechkin picture, lol.

It is much more likely Orr tried steroids, there wasn't any sort of stigma to them when he was playing and they were definitely part of sports during his career.

As for Ovechkin's doctor, what is the evidence that the doctor connected with the PEDs was his doctor? Or that Tiger and Ovechkin used the same doctor? I believe there was one article by some random reporter in Pennsylvania that claimed Dr. Anthony Galea had Ovechkin as a client but I don't believe that was ever validated. Dr. Galea was charged with supplying PEDs (HGH primarily) to athletes with two of his clients in Washington. One was Santana Moss and supposedly the other was another Redskins player.

So basically, your argument boils down to Ovechkin gained weight from age 20 to age 37 and a chiropractor is alleged to have given Capitals & Nationals players steroids. Of course, this ignores the fact that Ovechkin has played numerous international tournaments throughout his career with stricter drug testing than the NHL and never tested positive.

Robb

this is what I was trying to assert on the closed thread. Goldenage is not using any evidence at all. simple hearsay. whatever you do though, dont accuse goldenage of anything. he seems pretty sensitive, though he doesn't mind accusing players of PED while having no evidence at all.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 467 ✭✭✭

Do people legitimately not like Ovi? The guy is a beast and is hilarious. I am having trouble discerning real from trolls at this point.

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very common for hockey players to add 15-25 pounds over the course of their career. These guys start playing in the NHL at 18, Ovie was 215 pounds of muscle before this 20th bday, a total unit. I don't find anything suspicious about a player putting on an average of 1.2 pounds per year 19 years. And I'd guess most of that weight gain was from 18-25. Bonds I believe was 1/3 of the way through his career before he started his head growth program.

The issues I have with Ovie are his lack of commitment to both ends of the ice. He is hockey's version of a designated hitter, no wonder he added weight, he plays an 80 foot game.

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 22, 2022 10:04AM

Other thing to add, that anyone that follows prospects / the draft should know stated weights are basically guestimates. The 1OA last year, Slafkovsky, came in to dev camp 11 pounds over his draft weight. So what is his baseline, his 238 dev camp weight, his 227 draft weight, or where he is now, likely somewhere in between? I bet Ovie loses 5-15 pounds during the season, the back of hockey cards is not an effective way to track player weights. He probably looks slimmer then that beach photo above come March.

To me Ovie looks like a thicker, old man strength version of young Ovie. Barry, on the other hand, completely transformed. Gretzky was already at his perfect weight, he was a guy with a small frame that relied on positioning, instinct, puck movement. Weight isn't a good predictor of success in hockey.

• Options

@FirstBeard said:
    Do people legitimately not like Ovi? The guy is a beast and is hilarious. I am having trouble discerning real from trolls at this point.

Have you read the entire thread? Of course people like Ovie, everyone has been defending him except the OP.

• Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

In a similar vain what’s been LeBrons weight gain since entering the league while playing longer and better than anyone thought he would. Is it possible he’s on the juice?

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:

I’m done here.

Wait, I thought this guy watched Bobby Orr play in person? How could a 10 year old possibly have done that?

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com