Home Sports Talk
Options

Are the 49er’s the best team in the NFC?

2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even with Purdy?

W.C.Fields
"I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

Comments

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2022 9:08AM

I haven't seen the Eagles play this season but if they're not the best team then the Niners definitely are. One or the other. The question mark is Purdy. He looked o.k. last night......I admit I'm biased.....for me it's always been Rams/Niners.
    GO NINERS!

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

Purdy in his first 3 starts plus mop up in one game:

This would put him as #5 in QBR if he had played over a whole season. His 100 rating also puts him in the top 8. He looked poised last night, mostly NOT like a rookie. If he keeps this up, you can say goodbye to Jimmy G next year, and Trey Lance will be an unhappy backup.

It doesn't hurt to have the name Brock Purdy, such a name is made for football fame...........

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

SF is going to win the Super Bowl

Calling it right now

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

Funny how just a few weeks ago Bay Area sports talk radio had lots of discussion about how the issue of whether Shanahan and Lynch should be fired. :o

My how things can change. Today some talk was the Shanahan is one of the best, if not they best coach in the NFL.

The 49rs do look very good, Their defense is top notch, the running game is top notch and with Purdy playing QB the passing game is much better (with TE George Kittle now being thrown to, with devastating effect).

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many times a backup looks really good. However, their opponents were preparing to face a different QB. Let's see how he does when other teams have film and prepare for him. He may be the real deal, but it is much too soon to know.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, it's ok, really, no problems here, Merry Christmas everyone.

• Options
    edited December 16, 2022 12:43PM

The best thing that happened to SF is when Lance went down. Obviously it's a shame for the kid but it boosted their Super Bowl chances

• Options

@Brick said:
    Many times a backup looks really good. However, their opponents were preparing to face a different QB. Let's see how he does when other teams have film and prepare for him. He may be the real deal, but it is much too soon to know.

Purdy has started 3 games, in game 2 and 3 they had film and the prepared for him. But agree it is much too soon to know if he is the real deal. But when qb's come in this strong, they usually are, especially when they show poise - some qb's coming in with a bang do so bc they get hot gun slinging with the ball, but then quickly fade as the gun slung balls get intercepted as D's figure them out. That is not Purdy so it looks like he might not burn out quickly.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

@spacehayduke said:

@Brick said:

Purdy has started 3 games, in game 2 and 3 they had film and the prepared for him. But agree it is much too soon to know if he is the real deal. But when qb's come in this strong, they usually are, especially when they show poise - some qb's coming in with a bang do so bc they get hot gun slinging with the ball, but then quickly fade as the gun slung balls get intercepted as D's figure them out. That is not Purdy so it looks like he might not burn out quickly.

Agreed, but the D is so damn good I think they can carry this team as well

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Philly & SF are clearly the class of the NFC. Which is the best? I dunno :)

• Options
    edited December 16, 2022 2:43PM

@Tabe said:
    Philly & SF are clearly the class of the NFC. Which is the best? I dunno :)

Agree, The deciding factor if it comes down to a Niners/Eagles championship game will be Shanahan....he's the most intelligent and best head coach in the league....... He will work with whatever QB they put on the field. The Rams were lucky to get by the Niners in the last NFC Championship game against the Niners.....The Niners were my pick for that game and the Niners have been my Super Bowl pick all season long this year....COACHING!....and MOTIVATING the team and talent available......Get the best out of every player by telling them to concentrate on what they do best....Know your abilities and don't try to exceed them......If a coach can get that message across...THEN.......At crunch time the player will over exceed his best abilities and do something.....EXTRAORDINARY......Never underestimate that......That's what Shanahan does...He's good...
    GO NINERS!

• Options

🤔

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not so sure about this Niners NFC dominance stuff...but maybe that's because this is what comes out of the tap around here...

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m the first to say, and have said it many times here, film and adjustments. But my question is. Is it too late in the season to get enough film on Purdy to exploit all his weaknesses? The niners are in the playoffs, probably won’t get #1 but are assured a home game. Shanahan shaves the playbook to simple plays, shows nothing on film and goes into the playoffs with Purdy as an unknown?

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@thisistheshow said:
    I'm not so sure about this Niners NFC dominance stuff...but maybe that's because this is what comes out of the tap around here...

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that right now the 49ers are playing the best football in the NFL. That can change in a heart beat on Sunday.

• Options
    edited December 18, 2022 11:20AM

Or Saturday....After last nights Viking/Colt game, the Vikings are right up there. Wow!....NFL history was made.....Greatest come back victory ever!....It was insane.....Good for the Vikings!....Unbelievable!

• Options

@Hydrant said:
    After last nights Viking/Colt game, the Vikings are right up there. Wow!....NFL history was made.....Greatest come back ever!....It was insane.....Good for the Vikings!....

I refuse to call it the greatest comeback. Largest comeback, yes.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@Hydrant said:
    After last nights Viking/Colt game, the Vikings are right up there. Wow!....NFL history was made.....Greatest come back ever!....It was insane.....Good for the Vikings!....

Agreed!!!

• Options
    edited December 18, 2022 5:58PM

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@Hydrant said:

Agreed!!!

O.K,....So I used the wrong word.. Greatest?...Largest?......Schmitter/Schamater!....What's the Big Deal? Crucify Me!....For Crying Out Loud!......I know I'm not perfect..... Real close but not quite all the way there.....YET....I'm working on it though...... I'll get there......Some Day! .....

GO BOSTON!
    😵

• Options

@Hydrant said:

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@Hydrant said:

Agreed!!!

O.K,....So I used the wrong word.. Greatest?...Largest?......Schmitter/Schamater!....What's the Big Deal? Crucify Me!....For Crying Out Loud!......I know I'm not perfect..... Real close but not quite all the way there.....I'm working on it though...... I'll get there......Some Day! .....UNA DIA..😵

You can say it however you chose, us Pats fans will just say largest! 😉

• Options

@Hydrant said:

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@Hydrant said:

Agreed!!!

O.K,....So I used the wrong word.. Greatest?...Largest?......Schmitter/Schamater!....What's the Big Deal? Crucify Me!....For Crying Out Loud!......I know I'm not perfect..... Real close but not quite all the way there.....YET....I'm working on it though...... I'll get there......Some Day! .....UNA DIA....

GO BOSTON!
    😵

Let me propose something. Before you post something that might be misinterpreted, just send me a PM and we can flesh it out.

• Options

Teeth are kinda yellow.........

• Options
    edited December 18, 2022 4:17PM

@thisistheshow said:

@Hydrant said:

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@Hydrant said:

Agreed!!!

O.K,....So I used the wrong word.. Greatest?...Largest?......Schmitter/Schamater!....What's the Big Deal? Crucify Me!....For Crying Out Loud!......I know I'm not perfect..... Real close but not quite all the way there.....YET....I'm working on it though...... I'll get there......Some Day! .....UNA DIA....

GO BOSTON!
    😵

Let me propose something. Before you post something that might be misinterpreted, just send me a PM and we can flesh it out.

I like your proposal... Problem is.....everything I post is misinterpeted......I don't want to keep you that busy.....I'm sure you have better things to do...I'm positive that the fault lies with everyone else....It Can not be me!...No Way!

I got the facts on my side......
    Listen To Me!.....

• Options

@Hydrant said:

@thisistheshow said:

@Hydrant said:

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@Hydrant said:

Agreed!!!

GO BOSTON!
    😵

I like your proposal.... But I don't want to keep you that busy..... Problem is.....everything I post is misinterpeted......I'm positive that the fault lies with everyone else....It Can not be be!...No Way!

I got the facts on my side......You Don't!!!
    Listen To Me.....PLEASE!

It sounds like you are cognizant of the fact that other forum members struggle to properly understand what you are inferring. That's great!! With that knowledge, let's start this thing up...it might slow down your posting (having to vet everything through me) but you'll soon be swimming in quality...rather than quantity...if you catch my drift...so what do you say? 🤷

• Options
    edited December 18, 2022 5:03PM

I'll give it some thought..... But first you have come to terms with one thing... SANDY KOUFAX WALKS ON WATER!....Until you agree with that.....No Deal, No Way.....

I Got The Facts On My Side!.......
    Do you hear the voices too?

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭

My first thought was "hold my beer while we give this a chance". But here in the northland that beer would already be empty.

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

Biggest or largest, it doesn't really matter. An overlooked aspect of it all is just how much the Vikings sucked in the first half!! We're talking about one of the best teams in the NFL this season having four first downs in the first half and being down 33-0. If I had to choose between the worst first half or the best second half it'd be a tough choice.