Home Sports Talk

"The Last Cowboy":A Life Of Tom Landry. Book about the legendary coach.

BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just finished reading this 632 page book about the legendary coach and the Cowboys. What an insightful read into the workings of the franchise during his rein as coach. The details about all the players, especially the 70's/80's teams, and his rapport with them is very enlightening. All the trials and tribulations of the star players are dealt with in detail. There are many big game descriptions in the book. One item that stood out for me: the description of "The Ice Bowl". How Lombardi had the heating element under Lambeau Field turned off for the game. After leading Landry to believe it would be left on. As it was for practice the day before the big game. If you would like a definitive look into this era and about the coach and his players I suggest you give it a read.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Comments

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

If anything else stood out, I'm curious. Either way, thanks for sharing!

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    If anything else stood out, I'm curious. Either way, thanks for sharing!

Details about the players issues with drugs,racism,contracts,injuries,playing time, etc. Players discussed among others Staubach,Hollywood Henderson,Duane Thomas,Bob Hayes,Tony Dorsett,Hershel Walker, Ed "Too Tall" Jones, Calvin Hill,Danny White, Craig Morton,"Dandy" Don Meredith. And the end of the Landry era migrating to the Jimmy Johnson/Jerry Jones era.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".