Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Topps buy back judge Goldschmidt?

Don't fully understand the program other than they buy your cards for credit. Good deal at the moment.My question is will it drive up prices for the chrome cards after it ends.?
We will now know there are fewer available as originals but doubt they post numbers. I think holding on to them and having pre buyback cards would be a thought before they alter or repackage.
Any thoughts on either take credit or hold them?

Comments

• GilRGilR Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2022 3:59PM

I don't know the numbers, but can't imagine that the base cards or refractors, at least, will ever reach $20/$40 again. (Well, not without crazy inflation.) This program may have been intended to be a way to push sales of Chrome boxes, but there are still on plenty on the shelves shelves, which means that there will be many of the cards being discovered well after the March deadline, when they turn back into pumpkins.

To my annoyance, the other night I opened two lite hobby boxes and two value boxes that I bought from Topps during their recent sale around Black Friday/Cyber Monday, and did not get a single Judge or Goldschmidt. That's about 192 cards, and if one subtracts the various parallels and inserts it's still around 140 or so base cards from a set of 220, so I obviously wasn't very lucky. I am trying to complete a set, so now I'll have to wait until April to buy the Judge and Goldschmidt cards at a non-insane price. And here I was hoping I might get duplicates and actually get $20-$40 in credit...

• True. I believe overproduced and overpriced so the picked harder cards to find and are trying too boost sales of chrome. I buy a lot and hardly ever get either cards

• GilRGilR Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2022 4:57PM

Interesting you would say that. I had previously already opened four value boxes (so 128 cards, about 100 base), and didn't hit either player, other than a Judge "Heart of the City" (which is not part of the program, though ill-informed people have driven up its price on eBay). So I was already wondering whether eBay produced fewer. But arguing against this conspiracy theory is that, unless Judge and Goldschmidt are two of several players who were slightly underproduced, it seems unlikely for Topps to have predicted with certainty that the two would be MVP's and limited solely their production when they must have started the printing process. So my not getting either out of 320 cards is still probably just bad luck.

I have one more lite hobby box that I could open, but I've been thinking of putting that away, on the assumption that since it's the only Chrome box that might have those rookie short prints it will likely grow in value over the years. Though since the odds of hitting one of them are so very small perhaps they'll never go for much more than the roughly $100 they're currently at.

• Most hobby boxes do grow in value as I have watched over time. Hope the rookies take off and watch value soar. People will pay for a chance at 1 card.