Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How are the Vintage Graders Keeping Busy?

The best rate for vintage right now is $50 a card. I can't imagine the grading rooms are flooded at that pricing level. Are all vintage graders also handling modern? I thought they were compartmentalizing the two eras so as to not have unrealistic modern standards creep into the vintage grading.

Comments

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2022 2:50PM

Maybe they are the ones scanning every card before and after grading?

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is bulk for $18. There is value for $30. Not sure what the thought process of $50 level being the cheapest is.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2022 2:44PM

Yeah 18 is the cheapest.
    Double what we were paying with the flood that caused the back log. So I can see why they dont want to lower it. But Its super hard to even send in Nm/Mt 1954-1959 Commons even at 10.00 per. Hope it gets worked out somehow. But enjoying my cards raw is becoming the now norm. And I honestly am starting to enjoy it more as I used to.

• Options
    nendeenendee Posts: 550 ✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2022 5:36PM

Wait, Vintage bulk is $18 a card?

(Nevermind, I see it now and restrictions)

Cubs and Purdue Fan - Ouch!

My collecting blog: http://ctcard.wordpress.com
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oops. I thought that was a limited time special. I guess because I let my CC membership lapse, i don't see a reference to it unless I go to the CC membership rewards page.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure the vintage graders are even working or employed at the moment. I sent 4 orders in during the July national show special pricing. Two were modern and two were vintage. The two modern ones were graded and back in my hands sometime in September. The two vintage ones have been stuck in Research stage since July with no movement.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 949 ✭✭✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:
    I'm not sure the vintage graders are even working or employed at the moment. I sent 4 orders in during the July national show special pricing. Two were modern and two were vintage. The two modern ones were graded and back in my hands sometime in September. The two vintage ones have been stuck in Research stage since July with no movement.

I feel you, man. I just got back my 2nd Vintage Special Order last week. Keep the faith!

• Options
    picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

@BBBrkrr said:

@miwlvrn said:

I feel you, man. I just got back my 2nd Vintage Special Order last week. Keep the faith!

How was the grading ?
    ok or grader of death ? LOL

• Options

@picklepete said:

@BBBrkrr said:

@miwlvrn said:

How was the grading ?
    ok or grader of death ? LOL

Actually not completely terrible, and better than what I was getting back when they first reopened. Mostly 7-9s across the board, but i had about 4 cards that came back 3-5 that I still have no idea why. I couldn't see things that would cause that but I didn't pull out the big lens either. Those were all 78 FB so who knows. Coolest was an 81/82 Magic Johnson I broke out of an SGC holder as a 7 that came back 8.

• Options
    edited December 15, 2022 4:21PM

1978 FB has many that have front spider vein wrinkles that run from up and down. Mostly the top half on the front in the middle. Angle them in the light and see. I have many from the pack this way. Not sure why.

• Options

@handyman said:
    1978 FB has many that have front spider vein wrinkles that run from up and down. Mostly the top half on the front in the middle. Angle them in the light and see. I have many from the pack this way. Not sure why.

Yeah. I've seen those, and thought I'd pulled the ones that had that. I guess I was WRONG.

I love the 76-78 sets but those 78s seem to always be way off center. Seems anything I get with Dorsett is always horrendously centered.

• Options

When you look at the volume of cards sent to be graded and everyone expecting great grades and then look at who or how many people are qualified to grade them. If I send cards to be graded I expect an expert grader not a fresh of the streets me kind of person doing the grading. Then throw in a pay scale for people doing the grading of an astronomical number of cards.how hard will they work. I understand a turn around time. Non collectors ( for profit) or businesses are flooding the system with millions of cards on a weekly basis. If it's vintage and you pay the extra for grading then you should be put first and modern cards should wait. But so many company's are flooding the system. I see some graded cards with 20 thousands psa 10's. Flooded market holds up your truly valuable card in the works. Just my opinion.